KK Flight Controller KK2.1 stalls? Pretty scary!

mbowser

Hello all. I fly a quad X4 with a KK2.1, no GPS, and Turnigy 30a ESCs. So, today I was flying it around (Autolevel WAS on, battery was 100% charged), and all of the sudden, the motors go dead silent. It was only for about 1/3 of a second, but was scary nonetheless. It dropped about 2 feet, and then recovered. So, keep on flying, and it does it again, but for a longer amount of time. I get scared, land, pull out the battery, restart, and then lift off gain. No change. It stalls again, but for a very short amount of time. "I can deal with this, I think" and keep flying. I go 50-100 feet up, hover a bit, test an aux servo, move around a bit, hover again, and then it stalls, but this time for almost 2 seconds. It wakes up again about 10 feet above the ground, breaking its fall, but still crashing it. This is really bad. Again, the motors would go silent during these "stalls". Anybody know if this is a KK2.1 issue, and if so, what can I do? If not, what could it be, because this is a serious risk for ANY flying. I really need some help with this. Thanks.

EDIT: I did not hear an ESC beep (signature of my quad starting up), so it probably wasn't a battery issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What do you mean you didn't hear the ESC beep? Like the normal beeps it does to tell you they are all good and ready???

obviously it's over now - and no one (and hopefully not the quad) was injured - but in the future, I would suggest landing immediately if you notice any sort of issue, let alone a complete stall of the motors.

If the ESCs were not telling you something was wrong (by not beeping), then it could be a PDB/squid issue. Which do you have?

mbowser

What do you mean you didn't hear the ESC beep? Like the normal beeps it does to tell you they are all good and ready???

obviously it's over now - and no one (and hopefully not the quad) was injured - but in the future, I would suggest landing immediately if you notice any sort of issue, let alone a complete stall of the motors.

If the ESCs were not telling you something was wrong (by not beeping), then it could be a PDB/squid issue. Which do you have?

My ESCs do a series of 3 beeps at different pitches and then one at the standard pitch to indicate power is connected. I did not hear this or a "warning" beeping either. Yeah, in hindsight, I should have landed when I noticed that stall, but curiosity got the best of me. Nobody, including the quad, were harmed. I don't have a PDB, either. The positive and negative plugs from the LiPo just diverge into 4 separate wires each, (8 total) which all go to each of the four ESCs. Not sure if that matters or not.

As an extra note, all the motors cut out at the exact same time, not just one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you didn't hear those initial beeps - that was clue #1 :). But it's weird that they then fired up and ran at all.

sounds like a power issue of some type. Perhaps test the harness you have between battery and ESC with a multimeter. If you have small alligator clips - try wiggling the harness to see if you can recreate a power loss.

Spflyer

Leo C
I fly a kk2.1 and occasionally experience what you are referring to. My problem only occurs when flying in certain areas. Problem is most severe when I fly I close inproximity to a communication tower. Two different locations give me this problem, one worse than the other and the worst being closer to the tower. I think it's rf interference.

mbowser

Spflyer, I think you are right. Initially we thought it was a power issue and tried fiddling with the wiring harness and seeing if we could reproduce; we couldn't and that leads me to believe that you are correct is the fact that when this occurred there was not 'reboot' of the flight controller which would have put it in safe mode and the ESC's would have beeped on startup.

To reproduce, we turned on and armed the quad and put throttle to lowest setting where props would spin. Then we turned off the power to the transmitter (cheap Turnigy 6x FHSS) and the quad props stopped spinning, but with no flight controller 'reboot' and associated ESC beeps. So essentially cutting the power to the transmitter would effectively simulate rf interference.

With that said, it's still a pretty scary thing to happen.

Thanks for the help.

Spflyer

Leo C
Spflyer, I think you are right. Initially we thought it was a power issue and tried fiddling with the wiring harness and seeing if we could reproduce; we couldn't and that leads me to believe that you are correct is the fact that when this occurred there was not 'reboot' of the flight controller which would have put it in safe mode and the ESC's would have beeped on startup.

To reproduce, we turned on and armed the quad and put throttle to lowest setting where props would spin. Then we turned off the power to the transmitter (cheap Turnigy 6x FHSS) and the quad props stopped spinning, but with no flight controller 'reboot' and associated ESC beeps. So essentially cutting the power to the transmitter would effectively simulate rf interference.

With that said, it's still a pretty scary thing to happen.

Thanks for the help.

I fly in a few different locations and only have issues in a couple of places, and it's consistent. Maybe others can shed some light on this. KK2.1, Skyfly FS 9x with stock module. I thought about lengthening the antennae from the receiver. Not sure if that would help. For now I avoid those places like the plague.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
When something like this happens it is usually a good idea to do a re-bind just in case your radio has chosen a couple of frequencies that has intermittent spurious radiation.

What radio are you using?

Pete

mechanike

i would lose a second once an hour then switched to external power supply and it stopped.heared the esc supplies can be glitchy

cootertwo

You could always do what I did to 2 KK2's (by accident), pump 12 volts into them, and let the magic smoke out! I'm hooked on the Naze and Naza Lites.