GPS for Acro Quadcopter

SteveC

I'm building an acrobatic quadcopter and would like to have gps without having to mount it suspended on a stick. The APM 2.0 has the GPS mounted on the board and I'm wondering if it's comparable to the APM2.5 and if there are any available. Are there any Flight Controllers that have GPS on the board or GPS modules that can mount on top of the APM case or in a low profile, aerodynamic position?

SteveC

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Most can be mounted directly on the frame and work just fine.

Not sure why you would want GPS on an acro quad though.

Cheers

Pete

SteveC

GPS for Acro

Most can be mounted directly on the frame and work just fine.

Not sure why you would want GPS on an acro quad though.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks, I want GPS so I can loiter or maybe find my way back home after I've flown too far or too high.
Although, maybe that's not how the GPS works, I'm new to this. I wish they had GPS on board the flight controller (APM 2.0 still available?) or something that I could center mount somehow. Where would I mount on the frame? The ESCs are right there and are supposed to interfere with the GPS unit. I'm using a Carbonecks 310 frame.

Steve

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I've got mine mounted like this and it works fine. I could even have those standoffs lower and it would be fine. So it doesn't have to be "on a stick" necessarily.

View attachment 18001

Attachments

• DSC01059-1024x680.jpg
    DSC01059-1024x680.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 452

SteveC

Ok, getting closer. How low do you think you could go with that? I was hoping for something more aerodynamic or maybe temp attach with velcro to only attach the GPS when I need it. Do you see problems mounting then removing when not needed?

Thank,
Steve