How to use ecalc?

boba7523

Hi everyone,

Is there a video somewhere showing how to use ecalc? I've read the Xcopter help page but it's still very confusing.... I'd like to use ecalc to help me start finding parts to build my first copter.

Thanks!

darrylC

Its been a while since I used it but....
For starters its mostly guessing parts until you get a set up you like as in flight time payload etc. The part I'm not sure about right now is ''drive included'' I believe that is for if you know the all up weight. If you are buying a frame kit the description should say is weight that you enter there. Its then a matter of inputting different components from the lists and then hit calculate ans see the results. Things like battery motors and props. The pay version has extensive lists to choose from with corresponding specs automatically entered. The free version has random short lists.
For instance you may know your frame?weighs 280grams and you want to use 3s batteries and Turingy d2811-30 1000kv motors with 10inch props with 4.5 pitch. Again you just have to experiment with different components to get results you want. Ive been told hover at 50% thrust is a good rule of thumb

Good luck.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

Is there a video somewhere showing how to use ecalc? I've read the Xcopter help page but it's still very confusing.... I'd like to use ecalc to help me start finding parts to build my first copter.

Thanks!

THIS is how I got started. It helped me figure out how to start plugging in choices and understanding how they related so you can begin to narrow your component list.

boba7523

THIS is how I got started. It helped me figure out how to start plugging in choices and understanding how they related so you can begin to narrow your component list.

Thanks!

I don't change the atmospheric pressure, altitude, all that jazz? What about the cooling? Just leave it at medium cooling?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks!

I don't change the atmospheric pressure, altitude, all that jazz? What about the cooling? Just leave it at medium cooling?

I think if your motors are out on the booms they should be getting good cooling. I have seen very little difference though, unless you're right on the edge of the motor capabilities - which wouldn't be good anyway.

Try plugging in your altitude. It's interesting to see what it does. Remember, eCalc is just a tool. It's not always going to be super accurate (but often is), but it really helps you understand the relationships between components.

Once you get used to it you will value it and gain great insight into how each MR parameter affects the total airtime etc. The most confusing part is whether to include the "incl. driver" or without drive. I always set it to "incl. drive. There is a good database of motors but few props selections included for those who pay the nominal fee to use the software and that saves you a lot of data entry time. Because the prop database is so limited, you have to enter custom prop data manually which may require adjustment of the PConst value somewhere between 1.0 and 2.0....... 1.0 being the thinnest and to a high degree, the most efficient.

Under remarks.... lower left column under battery, pay closest attention to the mixed flight time so as to maximize that value which will fall somewhere between the flight time and the hover flight time. Note that ecalc will do many things for you but it cannot predict high efficiency flight situations where your MR develops wobbles that cannot be dialed out by your FC gains controls..... such situations are the result of motors that IMHO do not have adequate torque to respond fast enough to keep up with the Flight computer commands (thats my theory anyway).

View attachment 18382

Attachments

• ekalc.JPG
    ekalc.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 462

boba7523

Does With Drive mean the AUW of ALL the components, meaning frame, ESC, motor, props?

And does Without Drive mean just the weight of the frame itself?

Last edited by a moderator:

boba7523

Awesome. "Additional Payload" would then be the extra weight it can carry right? For example if I wanted to carry a GoPro ...

I thought AUW means after everything, including camera? This is from the dictionary on what AUW means: "The total weight of an aircraft with passengers, cargo, and fuel."

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Awesome. "Additional Payload" would then be the extra weight it can carry right? For example if I wanted to carry a GoPro ...

I thought AUW means after everything, including camera? This is from the dictionary on what AUW means: "The total weight of an aircraft with passengers, cargo, and fuel."

Thats correct. If you use "including drive" or whatever they call it - it assumes you are calculating the entire weight - including payload. If you use the other option, then it takes the weight of the components individually (if they are available in eCalc) and shoots out a number in the lower right colin telling you the AUW as well as the additional payload it calculates you can carry.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
I can't for the life of me get ecalc to work for me.
I've tried it on Safari and Chrome on my Mac and IE on my PC.
It seems to be calculating huge numbers for the weight of my copter.
Can anybody get it to work at the moment?
I understand they've got technical issues regarding login, etc.
Here's what it's spitting out. Note the way out-of-bounds numbers at the bottom for the calculated weights. It's adding on over 5KG to the weight of my copter! :-(
View attachment 19198

Attachments

• Safari-Snapz004.jpg
    Safari-Snapz004.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 330

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I just ran into the login issue last night. Not sure what is going on - but it's a bit frustrating that it worked better BEFORE they began charging for it. :)

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
I can't for the life of me get ecalc to work for me.
I've tried it on Safari and Chrome on my Mac and IE on my PC.
It seems to be calculating huge numbers for the weight of my copter.
Can anybody get it to work at the moment?
I understand they've got technical issues regarding login, etc.
Here's what it's spitting out. Note the way out-of-bounds numbers at the bottom for the calculated weights. It's adding on over 5KG to the weight of my copter! :-(
View attachment 23553
Well, now it's working. Some very interesting conclusions, too.