Want to Buy MRV for Fun and Photos around $1000 +/-

Status
Not open for further replies.

1NutLouie

I want to buy a MultiRotor for fun and photos/videos. I'm old and can't take a lot of aggravation so I just want a RTF. The new DJI Vision+ seems to have everything except they push their own camera and I don't like their Safe flight zones.

Two Questions:

Can I get the Vision+ features at similar price on another MR??

The places that I play can be up to 11,000 feet above sea level. Will the Vision+ fly at 4,000 to 11,000 feet altitudes??

1Nut

Av8Chuck

Have you checked out the Phantom 2?

Regarding flying at higher density altitudes, if your just flying a GoPro with a 2-axis gimbal it should fly fine. It will be a little soft but the NAZA seems to perform better and the Phantom will smooth out nicely. However if your heavy, using a 3-axis gimbal the NAZA tends to become unstable at higher DA.

I shot this in Kenya at about 6500' MSL, I flew a Sony NEX5 without a Gimbal [the camera was mounted on a floating frame], and had to change from 10" to 9" props:

Last edited by a moderator:

1NutLouie

First of all, that Kenya video is very good! I wonder if our National Parts Storm Troopers would shut me down in Yellowstone? Any, back to the post.

My major problem with the Vision+ DJI - I don't like them shutting down airspace around airports. Is there a MRV made by another company??

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Louie. Welcome to the forum.

I was a little put off by the restricted air zones too - but honestly, I'm not looking to fly too close to an airport anyway, so in the end it was a non-issue. DJI has a map on their site that shows the no-fly zones. For me at least, it turned out not to be intrusive on where I'd like to fly. So it may be worth checking out the specifics if you haven't already.

I had never used a DJI product until I did the review for this forum (in product review section), having built my own MRs before that. The Phantom 2 with H3-2D flew pretty darn well, and captured video well too (with your own GoPro 3) once updated and calibrated.

I think Blade may make a RTF with video??? Not sure. Might be worth looking into.

Av8Chuck

First of all, that Kenya video is very good! I wonder if our National Parts Storm Troopers would shut me down in Yellowstone? Any, back to the post.

My major problem with the Vision+ DJI - I don't like them shutting down airspace around airports. Is there a MRV made by another company??

I'm not a fan of DJI but I have to admit its pretty hard to beat the Phantom. I use the SuperX controller which I think flies much better but it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles the Phantom has.

I have not flown this but you might want to check it out: http://xaircraftamerica.com/collections/all/products/xcope

SoCal Blur

I could not be a Phantom user where I live. I'm within 5 miles of two airports. One of them is the largest private aviation airport in the country, if not the world. What is interesting is that the model aviation airport is literally accross the street from that private aviation airport and within 5 miles of the other airport which is an international commercial aviation airport. So even though I can fly my Multiwii Octocopter at that model aviation airport legally, the phantom wouldn't even get off the ground. It will be a rude awakening to anyone in the San Fernando Valley that purchases a Phantom and wonders why it won't fly.

It might be better to go with a different brand like Motopreserve suggested or at least one with a DJI FC that doesn't have that restriction.

1NutLouie

This restriction is amazing. It will not affect me in Montana, but it's just the idea that chaps my hide! I wouldn't buy a car that shuts off at 76 MPH!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This restriction is amazing. It will not affect me in Montana, but it's just the idea that chaps my hide! I wouldn't buy a car that shuts off at 76 MPH!

I suspect that DJI is being proactive about regulations that may be coming down the pike. It's totally feasible, based on the recent actions of the FAA, that there could be a restriction on selling these quads in the States if they don't have these restrictions.

Just a guess, but it seems like it is heading SOMETHING off at the pass, whether it be bonehead, irresponsible pilots, or the government trying to regulate.

The automobile has the advantage 100+ year head start on the "drone" and came of age in a time far less riddled with litigious folks that could sink a company in a few quick cases. Let alone an airline (and their lawyers) after some putz flies it into an engine... :)

1NutLouie

I totally see what you are saying. However, why not put it as being programmed such that any restrictions that come down the pike can easily be downloaded. I just don't want the Chinese manufacturer to force this stuff down our throats. I exercise my right to protest by not buying this product, even though I would like to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.