Help with Tarains X8R receiver, please.

Skyguy

Hi, guys!

Recently, with help from this forum, I bought a Taranis X9D transmitter and an X8R receiver. Believe it or not, I'm pretty comfortable with the somewhat complicated TX setup thanks to lots of data on the Internet from a guy who knows what he's talking about. But I'm really scratching my head over the RX. You're gonna laugh, but I can't figure out where to plug the battery so I can bind the two units. Based on some images online, it appears you can plug the battery into any of the 8 channel outputs, but that just doesn't ring true in my muddled thinking and I'm very reluctant to try it. Can anyone out there help me figure this out? It has to plug in somewhere! I'd really like to get these bound. Help!

Thanks,

Bruce

SoCal Blur

That's an easy one. If you have an ESC with a BEC or a separate BEC, just plug the servo cable into any one of the 8 ports and power up the ESC/BEC. Make sure you have the +/- correct. That will power the X8R.

Skyguy

Uhhh . . . okay, I think "BEC" means battery eliminator circuit but I don't have a clue if I have that or not. Maybe thjis will help; the quad is a stock DJI Flamewheel 450 with a Naza Light flight controller without GPS and, of course, an R8X receiver. Could you take another stab at it for me? Sorry, but I'm a total novice with all the electric stuff. (Glow was SO much easier!)

Bruce

SoCal Blur

Yes, Battery eliminator circuit. I'm not familiar with DJI stuff, but I believe that DJI uses Opto ESCs so there would not be a BEC in them. Any 5V power supply would do. You can buy 5V UBECs from ebay for next to nothing so if you don't have another power source onboard to power your receiver, you'll have to get one or a separate battery for your receiver.

A DJI user might chime in and let Bruce know if there is another power source he can tap into on the Naza.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
SoCal is right - the e300 series ESCs are OPTO.

But I think the Naza has an internal BEC. It gets power from the flight battery. If you have that connected to the RX via servo wire - you should have power. You can just hook up 1 servo for the purposes of binding. After it's bound you can then run the full set of servos you'll need.

Skyguy

Thanks, Moto. Frankly, that makes sense. I've not seen anywhere that you need a UBEC to run this thing, but then again, I may have missed something. It's strange that there's so little really detailed information about something so terribly sophisticated and complicated, but I guess that's the way it is. I appreciate your input and I'll check to see if that works. Just want to be sure I'm not going to blow something out in the process.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks, Moto. Frankly, that makes sense. I've not seen anywhere that you need a UBEC to run this thing, but then again, I may have missed something. It's strange that there's so little really detailed information about something so terribly sophisticated and complicated, but I guess that's the way it is. I appreciate your input and I'll check to see if that works. Just want to be sure I'm not going to blow something out in the process.

Thanks again,

Bruce

you our definitely don't want to blow anything up! :)

the he power is going to have to get from the battery to the naza at some point. So plug it in and then just make sure you have 1 servo running to it - or you could fully wire it and then bind afterward. If you're running sbus it will on,y be the 1 servo anyway. Not sure if naza lite has sbus, nut naza m v2 definitely does. Makes for an easier, neater install. But you'll have to bind the receiver accordingly.

Skyguy

Well, I put the all the things together that I thought would be right and it worked. In fact, it didn't blow anything at all, so thanks for all the help. Only problem is the LEDs are flash various colors and I'm color blind, so I'll have to get some local eyes to tell me what color the blasted thing is flashing! Gee! If it weren't for my genes, I'd probably have been very successful! Oh well . . . .

Thanks, again!

Bruce

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Well, I put the all the things together that I thought would be right and it worked. In fact, it didn't blow anything at all, so thanks for all the help. Only problem is the LEDs are flash various colors and I'm color blind, so I'll have to get some local eyes to tell me what color the blasted thing is flashing! Gee! If it weren't for my genes, I'd probably have been very successful! Oh well . . . .

Thanks, again!

Bruce

oh man. Being color blind for this will be a little bit if a challenge until you get the hang of it - especially because it's mostly green and red as I recall - and I think those are the particular colors effected by color blindness if I recall...

glad nothing blew up! :)

Skyguy

You're right, Moto! I'm red-green color blind; just exactly what a guy dealing with flashing LEDs needs. But it's amazing what you can do when you have no choice. I've been a licensed pilot for many years and have never run a stoplight (so far, anyway!). Once I can determine which is which, I should be able to function like a real human.

Thanks for your sympathy!

Bruce