Hobby wing platinum ESC question

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hobby wing platinum ESC problem...or superx

Need a little help here. I have a new set of hobby wing platinum pro 30A ESC that I have programmed (with the card) and done throttle calibration on (twice). Both of those procedures checked out based on the beep sequence mentioned in the manual.

Now when I plug the rig back together to run normally, I get a constant beep. The manual states that this indicates the throttle is not all the way down. I tried lowering the trim all the way, and even tried a different transmitter and RX. No luck.

Ive be tried it with sbus and typical individual connections.

The motors twitch a little when it's beeping.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Does it work if you plug an ESC directly into the throttle channel of the RX? If it works then the problem is with the flight controller, some need to see a lower minimum throttle than what the throttle calibration sets the ESC for. One way you might get around it is to reset the ESC to factory default settings which should also erase the calibration though not always.

Worth a try anyway, do a reset then hook it up without doing a throttle calibration and see if it starts then.

Ken

P.S. the motor twitch is what makes the beep, the windings of the motor being switched on and off very quickly and at just the right frequency. An ESC with no motor connected makes no noise at all when powered up.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Does it work if you plug an ESC directly into the throttle channel of the RX? If it works then the problem is with the flight controller, some need to see a lower minimum throttle than what the throttle calibration sets the ESC for. One way you might get around it is to reset the ESC to factory default settings which should also erase the calibration though not always.

Worth a try anyway, do a reset then hook it up without doing a throttle calibration and see if it starts then.

Ken

P.S. the motor twitch is what makes the beep, the windings of the motor being switched on and off very quickly and at just the right frequency. An ESC with no motor connected makes no noise at all when powered up.

Thanks so much Ken! It works fine when only on the throttle channel (so it's also not reversed).

I was just now starting to suspect the FC - the superx of all things :) I just updated to the hex version - and hadn't done the stick calibration. I just did that now and will try again.

SuperX stick cal didn't work.

Looking for anything that might make sense. Is there a chance the superx is fu#%ed? I have not used it since doing the update. It seemed to do it correctly though - following the instructions from the manual and from SleepyC printout.

Funny how you can be so helpful and be a hack builder all at the same time!!!! :highly_amused:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks so much Ken! It works fine when only on the throttle channel (so it's also not reversed).

I was just now starting to suspect the FC - the superx of all things :) I just updated to the hex version - and hadn't done the stick calibration. I just did that now and will try again.

SuperX stick cal didn't work.

Looking for anything that might make sense. Is there a chance the superx is fu#%ed? I have not used it since doing the update. It seemed to do it correctly though - following the instructions from the manual and from SleepyC printout.

Funny how you can be so helpful and be a hack builder all at the same time!!!! :highly_amused:

Heh, only things I've been hacking lately is firmware on ESCs and flight controllers!

There is a definite possibility that something went sideways when doing the update although how you would recover from that on a SuperX I don't know since the software is closed and all locked up in that little box with the wires sticking out of it ;)

Ken

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Heh, only things I've been hacking lately is firmware on ESCs and flight controllers!

There is a definite possibility that something went sideways when doing the update although how you would recover from that on a SuperX I don't know since the software is closed and all locked up in that little box with the wires sticking out of it ;)

Ken

I"ll shoot a message to drew and see what he thinks. Maybe the superx forum as well.

Might have to reflash the the FC.

Appreciate the help.

mediaguru

In googling my issue I found this thread. I have basically the same issue:

Throttle cal seems fine.
Hook up superX and ESC's beep in the pattern indicating throttle is not all the way down, even though it is.

Did you ever find a solution?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Unfortunately, this is what I was afraid of in the other thread.

I actually gor got it to work, but I couldn't tell you what fixed it. I just tried the whole procedure from ESC programming to throttle cal over and over and over. Finally it worked for a bit, but then a few days later it stopped working. Same beeps.

just as a test, threw a naza on the identical setup and worked instantly.

I finally gave up and decided to put some different ESCs on there. So incredibly frustrating.

Which motors do you have again???

Also, from the other thread I'm assuming I know the answer - but please confirm you have tested the motors AFTER doing the ESC cal. So with the chain plugged directly to the RX throttle channel, it runs all motors fine? This is what my experience was - no problem when superx was out of the loop.

mediaguru

Unfortunately, this is what I was afraid of in the other thread.

I actually gor got it to work, but I couldn't tell you what fixed it. I just tried the whole procedure from ESC programming to throttle cal over and over and over. Finally it worked for a bit, but then a few days later it stopped working. Same beeps.

just as a test, threw a naza on the identical setup and worked instantly.

I finally gave up and decided to put some different ESCs on there. So incredibly frustrating.

Which motors do you have again???

Also, from the other thread I'm assuming I know the answer - but please confirm you have tested the motors AFTER doing the ESC cal. So with the chain plugged directly to the RX throttle channel, it runs all motors fine? This is what my experience was - no problem when superx was out of the loop.

I can try that to make sure. I've done so many tests and configurations now I can't remember what I have and have not done.

I'll continue posting my findings in this thread: http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...rX-Taranis-X8R&p=170210&viewfull=1#post170210

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Probably better to move the info over here since it seems we have the same issue. There is an ornery member over in that thread :)

i was was the same way with all the tests - and as mentioned, there wasn't one thing done differently that made it work. It sorta just "worked." And then it didn't again. I could even get different motors to work by just repowering the hex. No change, first motors 2,4,5 worked, repower and then motors 1, 2, and 6 worked.

So frustrating!

nealj4

Hi Motopreserve. I also am having the same problem with brand new 40 amp Hobbywing FF40a ESCs. With servo lead plugged into my throttle channel on Spektrum AR8000 ( black wire to the top ,correct)?? I just a constant beep every 2 sec. Manual indicates " throttle signal is irregular" or check receiver and transmitter. I have solid orange bind light on receiver, have tried re-binding, changing the throttle range, subtrim. No luck. All 6 do the same thing. Help someone!!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The white wire should be the signal wire (or the lighter of the JR style - orange I think). Black is negative (or dark brown).

Hi Motopreserve. I also am having the same problem with brand new 40 amp Hobbywing FF40a ESCs. With servo lead plugged into my throttle channel on Spektrum AR8000 ( black wire to the top ,correct)?? I just a constant beep every 2 sec. Manual indicates " throttle signal is irregular" or check receiver and transmitter. I have solid orange bind light on receiver, have tried re-binding, changing the throttle range, subtrim. No luck. All 6 do the same thing. Help someone!!

nealj4

Stupid me !! I did not have my satellite antennae plugged into AR 8000, so receiver was not getting transmitter signal. Duh.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Make sure you're using the correct signal wire too.

scott, is there a way to watch the movement of the channels in the SuperX interface? You might want to try making sure the throttle trim is all of the way down before doing the channel calibrations. also, moving the sub trims to further reduce the low point of the throttle channel might make a low enough low for the ESC's to recognize it.

If you didn't move the throttle trim all of the way down before calibrating your ESC's then you'll have to redo them.

Bart

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Bart. Unfortunately I have done every change under the sun. Trims all reset before cal. Lowered sub trims, raised sub trims, zeroed sub trims.... Stood on one leg, cried for my mom.... No luck.

RTRyder had given me a bunch of suggestions, very helpful but to no avail.

Superx doesn't show anything in the GUI. No sticks, no nothing. I can appreciate the "simple" nature of this flight controller - and while I love the tag line "it just works," this experience has left me with my own tag line: "what about when it doesn't?" :)

Naza on the same exact rig - NO ISSUE! Done. Superx only variable.

I can say though with true personal experience now - superx flies way better (to my liking). Naza feels sluggish in Atti and GPS. I'll tweak gains to see how close I can get it, but so far I do appreciate the flight characteristics of the superx more.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks Bart. Unfortunately I have done every change under the sun. Trims all reset before cal. Lowered sub trims, raised sub trims, zeroed sub trims.... Stood on one leg, cried for my mom.... No luck.

RTRyder had given me a bunch of suggestions, very helpful but to no avail.

Superx doesn't show anything in the GUI. No sticks, no nothing. I can appreciate the "simple" nature of this flight controller - and while I love the tag line "it just works," this experience has left me with my own tag line: "what about when it doesn't?" :)

Naza on the same exact rig - NO ISSUE! Done. Superx only variable.

I can say though with true personal experience now - superx flies way better (to my liking). Naza feels sluggish in Atti and GPS. I'll tweak gains to see how close I can get it, but so far I do appreciate the flight characteristics of the superx more.

ok, well the order for setting up throttles and ESC's should be

1. throttle trim to full down (on the front of the radio case)
2. Confirm throttle channel doesn't need to be reversed
3. calibrate throttle range in ESC's (some can be done through the FC all at the same time, some need to be done individually with a receiver)
4. depending on flight controller, calibrate channels with FC
5. confirm travel of throttle channel in FC interface/software

if you aren't getting enough travel on the low end to allow the ESC's to initialize and to allow the motors to be started then lower the low end of the throttle channel using end point adjustment and then go back to the third step above and do 3 to 5 again

when the ESC's go through their start-up routine and then just repeat single beeps over and over it's usually because they aren't getting a control signal from the FC. If they do a quick beeping pattern after the start up routine, it's usually because the throttle position isn't low enough for them to finish initializing.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
when the ESC's go through their start-up routine and then just repeat single beeps over and over it's usually because they aren't getting a control signal from the FC. If they do a quick beeping pattern after the start up routine, it's usually because the throttle position isn't low enough for them to finish initializing.

The above is where I personally think the issue with my specific setup is. I have done the above procedure (as Bart listed) on each of my builds with expected results and success, except when the superx was introduced on this hex (superx had worked perfectly on another non-OPTO build too). After attempting the end point move and back to default, as well as various other suggestions from RTRyder and 2 folks from XAircraft (no exaggeration 20 attempts or more - the WHOLE procedure) with no luck, finally one time it worked. Nothing different than countless other tries - and it was with the end points back to default coincidentally. No explanation - because it had been at default to begin with, not worked, which caused these attempts to begin with.

And then hen with no change - one day it didn't work again.

Same exact procedure followed with a Naza - absolutely nothing done differently, complete success first time. Something is fishy here - and my nose leads me to XAircraft on this one. Hard to think otherwise. :)

econfly

Results of programming ESCs with the radio depend on the throttle output of the FC (which is to say it's pretty random). If the radio has a low-throttle setting that is significantly higher than the default/low signal the FC produces then the ESCs may not arm, or may even think that there is not a valid input signal coming from the FC. This is a classic NAZA problem, for example, because it sends a low throttle setting that is about 20% under the low setting that is produced by a Futaba radio by default.

To be clear: An ESC may give a no-signal beep if the FC is sending a signal significantly below the endpoint programmed on the ESC. The fix is to program a lower endpoint. It's guess work, of course, but simple enough to experiment with to get a decent result. If the ESCs indicate no problems, the motors start when desired, and max thrust is enough for flying needs then the ESC throttle programming is good enough for just about all purposes (leaving aside 3D flying, etc.).

The best way to do this is to calibrate the radio to the FC and leave the ESCs alone completely. Plug them in and see if they work. They almost certainly will. Only program throttle on ESCs to fix a problem. And then the radio settings should be adjusted to address the problem.

In general, programming ESCs with the radio and then expecting the FC's signal to work correctly is just a random experiment with no predictable outcome.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Econ,

this is similar to what RTRyder told me to try back when I was attempting to fit this round FC into a square ESC. I tried doing the whole shebang with no ESC cal. No luck. I moved the end points lower by 2 steps at a time, and in desperation, by single steps. No luck. I believe I went as low as the Taranis would allow.

I also forgot to mention that not only did the superx work with other ESCs but that this particular configuration of components also did not work with a different radio, which had previously worked with the superx on another build.

In my case - and I hope it works out differently for our friend here - I swapped every component possible (except the motors) only to find that the superx with the hobbywing/sunnysky combo was the only full combo that wouldn't work together. So there is some signal level not being sufficiently sent that causes trouble with this ESC. Swapping the superx for Naza - perfect. Swapping the hobbywing for other ESCs - bingo.

So while I don't have my head fully wrapped around the technology that would be causing these specific issues here - I am fully confident that I systematically tested all the various configurations to determine that these exact components don't like each other. I get the ESC is looking for something, not finding it, because it's shooting back a tremendously annoying beep to tell me so.

I had to move on. The days I spent testing were just salt in the wound created by spending $30 on "quality" ESCs that didn't work with this setup, when the $12 ESCs I had worked fine. I will add that others had this same issue with the superx and the hobbywing after the FW update to 1.08. Apparently one guy went back to the previous version and had no issues. Neither of the 2 xaircraft representatives would address this directly - and never responded to my emails once I directly asked for a copy of the older FW.

econfly

Econ,

this is similar to what RTRyder told me to try back when I was attempting to fit this round FC into a square ESC. I tried doing the whole shebang with no ESC cal. No luck. I moved the end points lower by 2 steps at a time, and in desperation, by single steps. No luck. I believe I went as low as the Taranis would allow.

I also forgot to mention that not only did the superx work with other ESCs but that this particular configuration of components also did not work with a different radio, which had previously worked with the superx on another build.

In my case - and I hope it works out differently for our friend here - I swapped every component possible (except the motors) only to find that the superx with the hobbywing/sunnysky combo was the only full combo that wouldn't work together. So there is some signal level not being sufficiently sent that causes trouble with this ESC. Swapping the superx for Naza - perfect. Swapping the hobbywing for other ESCs - bingo.

So while I don't have my head fully wrapped around the technology that would be causing these specific issues here - I am fully confident that I systematically tested all the various configurations to determine that these exact components don't like each other. I get the ESC is looking for something, not finding it, because it's shooting back a tremendously annoying beep to tell me so.

I had to move on. The days I spent testing were just salt in the wound created by spending $30 on "quality" ESCs that didn't work with this setup, when the $12 ESCs I had worked fine. I will add that others had this same issue with the superx and the hobbywing after the FW update to 1.08. Apparently one guy went back to the previous version and had no issues. Neither of the 2 xaircraft representatives would address this directly - and never responded to my emails once I directly asked for a copy of the older FW.

Very interesting. Sounds like you really worked the problem. Apart from looking at the PWM coming out of the FC on an oscilloscope to see what its doing I can't think of anything else to do.

By the way, on the list of projects I need to complete is the question of ESCs mounted far from the power source, the need for capacitors, etc. I have some nice progress on that, but need to get it written up.