FrSky/Taranis Owners Thread

boba7523

Sounds like X6R and X8R are pretty much the same then? Why would somebody get the X8R? Just for more channels or?

- Ha! I have 3 x V911s and a Nano QX (awesome) for office play and sim training.

- On the FAA, they only have something like 140 field inspectors, which I am sure have their hands full with commercial airlines and all of the daily civil aviation incidents. So, unless they restructure, or adopt new technology for parsing information from other government agencies, I think that the average guy using FPV goggles at his local park in a responsible manner doesn't have much to fear from the latest interpretation, which by the way, hasn't been accepted by the AMA (community based organization).

- The aluminum case is junk and only is a collector's item at this point. I carry my two X9Ds in either the same case as the MR or in my tool carrier.

- I run X6Rs on all of my ships. Slightly less expensive, smaller, come with both antennas, have a Smart Port, and support the same amount of PPM/S-Bus channels.

chipwich

Sounds like X6R and X8R are pretty much the same then? Why would somebody get the X8R? Just for more channels or?

You only need the X8R if you need more than 6 PWM outputs or if you use more than 6 channels and run some of them on the PWM ports. I usually only use the S-Bus port, a gimbal tilt on chan 5 (slot 5), and flight mode on chan 6 (PPM over S-Bus), when using the camera switch function of the iOSD MK II chan 8 (PPM over S-Bus), and one to connect the GoPro power lead (any available servo port). So 6 PWM ports is plenty. Plank drivers may want more for gear, flaps, drop payload, etc.

boba7523

You only need the X8R if you need more than 6 PWM outputs or if you use more than 6 channels and run some of them on the PWM ports. I usually only use the S-Bus port, a gimbal tilt on chan 5 (slot 5), and flight mode on chan 6 (PPM over S-Bus), when using the camera switch function of the iOSD MK II chan 8 (PPM over S-Bus), and one to connect the GoPro power lead (any available servo port). So 6 PWM ports is plenty. Plank drivers may want more for gear, flaps, drop payload, etc.

What's PWM and PPM? Sorry to ask an elementary question.

I'd like to use the Tx to control gimbal, a switch for landing gear and a switch for turning on/off LED lights. Would X6R suffice?

chipwich

What's PWM and PPM? Sorry to ask an elementary question.

I'd like to use the Tx to control gimbal, a switch for landing gear and a switch for turning on/off LED lights. Would X6R suffice?

With PPM, like S-Bus, you can send more that one channel control data via one physical connection. So, for the X6R and X8R, you can send all eight channels through the S-Bus port to the X2 port and a DJI NAZA or other flight controller that speaks PPM. For a DJI NAZA with a DJI gimbal which is connected directly to the NAZA via CAN-Bus, you only need that one physical connection between receiver and NAZA. But with a non DJI gimbal that has a BGC onboard, you don't need to connect it to the NAZA. But you do need a physical connection to the receiver, hence the need for more ports (called slots on IMMERSIONRC receivers). The FrSky receivers will output control data on the corresponding physical port as the PPM channel via the S-Bus port. In your case, you would need the X8R, because chan 1-4 are used for flight control, chan 5 for gimbal, and chan 6 for flight mode. Now all channels are full. If 7 is used for IOC, then you only have one left for LED or gear. If you could assign different PPM channels for physical ports like the IMMERSIONRC gear, then you wouldn't need more than the 6 physical ports, but AFAIK, you can't do this with the FrSky gear yet. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I suggest soldering a male JST connector to your PDB and use a female on your LED harness. That way you can just plug them in/out as needed. You call also just run them all of the time, or wire in a physical switch.

Edit: OK, looking more closely at the X6R manual, it looks like you can jumper the signal ports before binding to alter the channel output. But I don't know if they are talking about via the conventional ports, or via the S-Bus. Anyone care to take a guess? So here's where I'm going with this. If it will output say channels 9-14 on the conventional ports, and 1-16 on the S-Bus, then the X6R would be all the receiver that an MR would need.

Last edited by a moderator:

boba7523

With PPM, like S-Bus, you can send more that one channel control data via one physical connection. So, for the X6R and X8R, you can send all eight channels through the S-Bus port to the X2 port and a DJI NAZA or other flight controller that speaks PPM. For a DJI NAZA with a DJI gimbal which is connected directly to the NAZA via CAN-Bus, you only need that one physical connection between receiver and NAZA. But with a non DJI gimbal that has a BGC onboard, you don't need to connect it to the NAZA. But you do need a physical connection to the receiver, hence the need for more ports (called slots on IMMERSIONRC receivers). The FrSky receivers will output control data on the corresponding physical port as the PPM channel via the S-Bus port. In your case, you would need the X8R, because chan 1-4 are used for flight control, chan 5 for gimbal, and chan 6 for flight mode. Now all channels are full. If 7 is used for IOC, then you only have one left for LED or gear. If you could assign different PPM channels for physical ports like the IMMERSIONRC gear, then you wouldn't need more than the 6 physical ports, but AFAIK, you can't do this with the FrSky gear yet. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I suggest soldering a male JST connector to your PDB and use a female on your LED harness. That way you can just plug them in/out as needed. You call also just run them all of the time, or wire in a physical switch.

So what you're saying is with a X8R, I can simply plug in Sbus and that would take care of my 1-6 channels, which leaves 2 physical ports open for landing gear and IOC? (Great idea on soldering JST plugs to PDB for lights, will do that)

Confused about the highlighted part in bold.

PS. I thought the Taranis supports up to 16 channels? Shouldn't there be a complementary X16R receiver then to support that?

chipwich

It does support 16 channels, but obviously if it only has 6 physical ports, some of those 16 will need to be output on the S-Bus port, and your flight controller only needs so many. I'm going to do a test asap with a spare X6R to see if I can get channels 9-14 output on the physical ports. If so, that would give you 6 channels to control other components with.

boba7523

Awesome, thanks!

I'll re-read your posts once I get home and do some YouTube search of all these RC lingo PPM, PWM, etc because I'm confused lol.

Btw, say I have a X8R and I use Sbus to connect to X2, which takes care of my stick movements (ch 1-4). Doesn't that only take up 1 physical port out of 8, meaning I still have 7 ports I can use for other things?

chipwich

Btw, say I have a X8R and I use Sbus to connect to X2, which takes care of my stick movements (ch 1-4). Doesn't that only take up 1 physical port out of 8, meaning I still have 7 ports I can use for other things?

The S-Bus is a dedicated port, so if you were not using channels 1-8 for flight controls, flight mode, or IOC, you would have them. But most likely you are using most of those channels, so that's why I am interested in reassigning the conventional or physical ports to higher channels by using the jumpers at bind, as in the manual. Haven't had time to test this yet, but will report back here.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
When you select the output mode in the Taranis to D1-16 and bind the RX to match (in the RX manual) you will enable 16 channel outputs. 1-8 would be assigned to 1-8, then there are 9-16 on the physical/traditional connections. I don't think there's any harm in buying the taranis/x8r package if the price is slightly more - they are still $70 cheaper than a Futaba - might as well get the extra channels for a couple bucks.

chipwich

OK, that's really interesting Scott. So what you are saying that if the X9D is configured as D16 and Chan 1-16 on the Model setup page (2), then the X8R automatically selects the receiver mode to output channels 1-16 on the S-Bus and channels 9-16 on the conventional ports? No need to use the jumpers during binding to select receiver mode I guess then. Pretty cool.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
OK, that's really interesting Scott. So what you are saying that if the X9D is configured as D16 and Chan 1-16 on the Model setup page (2), then the X8R automatically selects the receiver mode to output channels 1-16 on the S-Bus and channels 9-16 on the conventional ports? No need to use the jumpers during binding to select receiver mode I guess then. Pretty cool.

You got it right - except I can't recall the jumper scenario off the top of my head. It's definitely in the small X8R "manual" though. I think it's the 4th or 5th choice down in the grid that lists the choices.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
With the new firmware out, which apparently is a major change, there is the need to do a full backup just in case something goes wonky (with new technology? No, never!).

I was was a little confused about the instructions seen here:

If you do not have a copy of your current firmware anymore, it would be wise to back that up too using the “Read Flash Memory” command. With this in hand, you can always revert if you don’t feel good.

for clarification: you need to do this step while the Taranis is off. So unlike opening Companion 9x when the Taranis is turned on (which shows the hard drives), you plug it in while powered off. No drives show up, but you will be able to access the backup utility as described above.

Haven't upgraded yet - but soon...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This is a how-to on the voltage sensor set up from Min0nim.

The Smart Port Lipo Sensor FLVSS will read each cell in your lipo. It will display these on its screen, but can also transmit the readings to your TX, so you can monitor the state of your batteries during flights.

How to read the FLVSS from your Taranis:

1. Enter your model setup. Press 'Menu' once to select your model on the Tarnis. Press the 'ENT' key to select.
2. Press the 'Page' button to enter the model selection screens. Keep pressing 'Page' until you reach the "Custom Switch" screen.
3. Press "Ent" to access the first custom switch. This is probably CS1 unless you've already programmed something into the Taranis. If CS1 is already set, pressing "-" will take you to the CS2 setting - pressing it again will take you to the CS3 setting...you get the idea.
4. Assuming this is the first custom switch you are programming...
5. Press "Ent". You will have highlighted the column to the right of CS1. Press "Ent" again to select this parameter for editing.
6. The column next to CS1 will be flashing - press "+" until you get to the reading "a is less than x"<x". press="" "ent".="" we're="" making="" a="" 'switch'="" that="" will="" turn="" on="" when="" value="" gets="" bigger="" than="" 'x'.="" we="" want="" to="" be="" the="" lowest="" voltage="" reading="" of="" an="" individual="" cell="" from="" your="" battery.=""

7. Press "-" to get to the next row to the right. Press "Ent" to select the parameter.
8. Press "+" until you get to the parameter "Cell". Press "Ent" to continue. This will now read the lowest cell voltage reported by the FLVSS - sweet! It's too easy :)
9. Press "+" to get to the next row to the right. You should be getting the routine now. This time you are going to set the voltage warning trigger level. I suggest 3.6v for the lowest cell.
10. Press "Ent" to select the parameter.
11. Press "+" to get to 3.60v (my recommendation for a multi rotor. You could go as low as 3.0v if you really pushed it - but only do this if you know the power curve of your battery - you WILL kill it otherwise, and also risk a sudden shutdown...copter rain). I have a second warning set at 3.4v. I know I should be on the ground by then.
12. Press "Ent" to accept.
13. Press "Exit" to get out of the custom switch page.
14. Press " Page" to get to the next screen - "Custom Functions".
15. Press "Ent" to access the first unused Custom Function - CF1 probably.
16. If the first custom switch you set above was CS1, press "Ent", and then press "+" or "-" until you find CS1. You set a custom 'switch' above, now here you're telling the Taranis what to do when that switch is triggered.
17. Press "Ent" and "-" to get to the next column.
18. Press "Ent" to edit the setting, then "+" to find "Play Sound". We want the Taranis to play an alert when cell voltage gets low. Press "Ent"
19. Press "-" then "Ent" to access the next column. Press "+" or "-" to find "Siren". Press "Ent" to select this sound.
20. Then press "-" to get to the next column, "Ent" to edit it, and "+" until you reach the value "10". This will then play the siren every 10 seconds once one of your Lipo cells has reached the lowest voltage of 3.6v - set from the logic above. Press "Ent" again to accept the setting - the cursor will stop flashing.
21. Select "CF2", then "SC-", "Play Value", then "Cell", then "15". This will read the lowest LiPo cell voltage to you every 15 seconds when you set your Taranis switch "SC" to the middle position. You can choose any switch you want instead of "SC". The Taranis will literally "read" the voltage of the lowest cell to you, in English.

This should give you an idea how to program the Taranis. You can set up secondary alarms, and warnings the same way. This is great, because you don't have to rely on an average reading of the lipo, but can monitor the status of your weakest cell. You can also fly your copter well away from you, and not have to worry about hearing a battery motor alarm - the Taranis will tell you what you need to know. This is one of the best things about the Frsky system, in my opinion.

Let me know if this needs any more filling out with steps or info.

Cheers,
a..</x".>

min0nim

Hey Moto - thanks for posting this over here.

You might want to edit point 6, it seems to have gone haywire in the copy & paste.

The setting should be "a<x"<x".

Cheers,
a.

******ah bugger - I can't get it to work! It should read "a is less than x". I don't know the proper vBulletin esc codes to put the symbol in!</x"<x".

Gary Seven

Rocketman
I'd like to thank motopreserve and everyone else that has contributed to this thread. I've been torn over what Tx/Rx to buy and have been on the fence for a month or two reading up on threads in forums and YouTube videos and whatever information I could get my hands on. I was thinking of the Turnigy 9XR but have changed my mind and will probably go for the Taranis now. AFAICT the build quality is an order of magnitude better which I guess it should be as it's more than twice the money.

I've been following Bartman's excellent F450 New Build thread and want to build my own during the summer. I have been putting together a parts list but before I do anything I think it would be prudent to settle on a radio and transmitter as I currently do not have one. Been looking at buying this from HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=61356

and also the FrSky 8XR receiver: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=41608

What say you all?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to Taranis Gary! I think your choice is a good one (well, I WOULD now wouldn't I?) :)

I think the key difference between the Turnigy and the Taranis is that I believe there are still things you need to do to the Turnigy to bring it to where you'll want it, where as the Taranis is a bit more "turnkey."

I did a search on this thread and did not come up with anything regarding the question I have, so I'll ask:

Is it possible to daisy chain 2 FLVSS (smart port) sensors to read 2 x 6S lipo's? And if so, 1) How can I do this? 2) How would I get my Taranis to display those readings?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I did a search on this thread and did not come up with anything regarding the question I have, so I'll ask:

Is it possible to daisy chain 2 FLVSS (smart port) sensors to read 2 x 6S lipo's? And if so, 1) How can I do this? 2) How would I get my Taranis to display those readings?

I have not seen anyone daisy chain those together for reading 2 batteries cells, but I did confirm with Aloft that you can place the current sensor between a Y split and the PDB to get voltage and consumption. I have not tried this myself yet - but will report back when the hex is back together and running 2 batteries.