Need help tracking down dangerous operator.

jbrumberg

Are you saying that there will be beacons installed at airports and other locations in the near future that will disable the next generation of FCB's that will by regulations be equipped (in order to be sold in the USA) with disabling firmware?

haha49

dji announced last week having an airport database and different limitations depending on what airport,,,

This guy has a bunch of videos from vietnam,,,, must be where he is from. And the big chopper is a dji s800,,,, not a monster, and definately not unique... it's a dji complete system

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.08_en.pdf

starts on page 25

No that's was a vacation he took. He is from China but moved to Canada (Maylasia) He lives in the Burnaby area. Other then that no clue what his name was I forgot.

Mojave

dji announced last week having an airport database and different limitations depending on what airport,,,

This guy has a bunch of videos from vietnam,,,, must be where he is from. And the big chopper is a dji s800,,,, not a monster, and definately not unique... it's a dji complete system

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.08_en.pdf

starts on page 25

Wow - watch the video at the top of this page: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

No fly zones! Makes sense to me - it would be nice if it went into failsafe mode though.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I don't know about those beacons, but I'll tell you exactly where Ardupilot is heading:

Apparently transponder data from the existing commercial traffic system is already available freely and easily on the internet. So the Ground Control software guys are patching it in. You'll be able to sit there with a laptop and a wireless connection, and get airline traffic info right on your screen. We actually have this running in a beta version right now. The next step, I believe is to try and have us put out location data. The idea is that, actually having a transponder on a small aircraft is kind of unworkable. But you could have the the ground control software do it. The laptop knows where the UAV is, and so it can transmit the data on behalf of the UAV. So you'd have a transponder attached to the computer, or maybe it's fed through the internet, not clear to me at this point.

Probably be another year before this is available, but it's on the way.

I would like to add exclusion zones around airports, but it's a really difficult thing. Some developers think that it shouldn't be the responsibility of the software to make people fly safely. And many users think that we shouldn't "give in to the man", they see personal-UAVs as another battleground to fight the power. I disgree with both stances. Part of the problem is that the exclusion zones are really quite large. In some populated places it can actually be difficult to get outside of one. People have been flying RC airplanes within 5 miles of airports for a long time. In fact, the AMA and MAAC regulations even allow it. The official rule is what, not higher than 400 feet if within range of an airport? I would think we could do something like... maybe not a total exclusion zone, but enforce a 400 foot limit between 3-5 miles from an airport, and then 100 feet from 1-3 miles. And then total exclusion, within 1 mile of the airport center, which would actually be good for security purposes.

dazzab

I'm not sure all that complexity is really useful. Last thing I want is to have to carry around a laptop and ground station. For me a multi rotor is just a flying tripod. I don't need waypoints or autonomous flight. Indeed, only LOS pilot controlled flight is legal here in Australia for the time being (without exemptions). What I find useful is a simple system with the smoothest flight possible that allows me to concentrate on my main goal of photography. Of course it's a different situation when flying a plane or doing scientific applications.

kloner

Aerial DP
the dji just gets a ceiling, won't take off if too close, it is kept out of normal paths especialy international airports. Nothing to carry around, it's in naza and them stupid phantoms......

right now the aircraft transponders are in a transition to ads-b..... it's the one that the aircraft sends out the altitude, speed, etc to the CT.... now you ping with an altitude squawk and you appear as a ground trail where you ben and they know your altitude, but they don't know if you just turned.... ads-b fixes that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance-broadcast

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I'm not sure all that complexity is really useful. Last thing I want is to have to carry around a laptop and ground station. For me a multi rotor is just a flying tripod. I don't need waypoints or autonomous flight. Indeed, only LOS pilot controlled flight is legal here in Australia for the time being (without exemptions). What I find useful is a simple system with the smoothest flight possible that allows me to concentrate on my main goal of photography. Of course it's a different situation when flying a plane or doing scientific applications.

The complexity IS very useful. It may just not be useful for you, and that's fine. The entire system I mention will not be mandatory for basic flight. It's just an option upgrade.

The biggest thing holding us back from being allowed to do long-range UAV flights, is the problem of sense-and-avoid. It can't be done right now. They're working to fix that so that in the future, hopefully long-range flights can be legally done.

Personally, I think that in the not-too-distant future, UAV's will be safer users of the airspace than many private pilots. They don't have transponders either, and have really been resisting it. I think because some of them know they break the rules, and want to be free to keep doing so.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
To clarify I was only speculating on my comment about beacons. I was just saying something like that is coming as it has to with the amount of idiots, I mean phantoms, oops I mean uav's in the sky.

W. Reimer

Also, just based on his name, I'm betting he's using a Draganfly Innovations quad. They are a pretty small company and fairly good at staying in touch with their customers...I wonder if sending them a copy of that photo of him may shake loose a lead or two?

Coming soon..... V2V, i.e., Vehicle to Vehicle Avoidance systems...... @ 5.9Mhz. I have not investigated if it is feasible for small flying objects, but keep in mind that the reason that we are all benefiting from ultra-low cost IMUs for MRs is, in part, because of the mass production of micro accellerometers that have been used in motor vehicles now for approximately the past 12 to 15 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_communication_systems

SoCal Blur

Coming soon..... V2V, i.e., Vehicle to Vehicle Avoidance systems...... @ 5.9Mhz. I have not investigated if it is feasible for small flying objects, but keep in mind that the reason that we are all benefiting from ultra-low cost IMUs for MRs is, in part, because of the mass production of micro accellerometers that have been used in motor vehicles now for approximately the past 12 to 15 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_communication_systems

There's a guy that does the RCModelReview videos on Youtube who is designing a Sense and Avoid product for RC models: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOrVgSUVJE4