Need help tracking down dangerous operator.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Guys, not sure if you've seen this yet, but this story is just breaking today:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/drone-...cts-transport-canada-rcmp-attention-1.1788494

I'd like to help the authorities track this guy down. My initial impression is that to get that kind of stable footage on a zoom like that, he must be using a Sony camcorder with BOSS on a 3-axis gimbal. It's the ONLY system I've ever seen where zoom is usable. On the other hand, when he's fully zoomed out, it sure looks like classic GoPro fisheye effect. I've never seen a Sony camcorder pincushion that bad. Is it possible this was shot with GoPro (or similar), using 100% digital zoom in post? I also see artifact that seems to indicate post-stabilization. (ie: look at the clouds at the top wobbling around). In fact, the more I watch it, the more I wonder if this really is just GoPro footage on Phantom or something, cleaned up and zoomed in Post. On the zoomed out footage, it even looks like there's a lot of jello that has been warp-stabilized.

I'm just trying to help establish if we are looking for a high end system here or not. That could at least narrow down the search if we know we're looking for a Sony on an S800 or something like that.

I'm pretty expert on the flight control and airframe side. But not quite as expert on the video side. So looking for your input.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer

Attachments

• Quadrotor Dragonfly Image 1.jpg
    Quadrotor Dragonfly Image 1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 258

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Agreed the guy is dangerous..... if the news item is in fact being reported accurately.......
But if I understand the original article correctly the incident occurred almost one year before the CTV New break, i.e., April 2013 versus April 2014! Maybe its a slow news day!
Meanwhile the photo and video journalists are chomping at the bit to gain a more solid foothold in using this burgeoning new technology to gain a competitive edge over their rivals.

haha49

The guy isn't the brightest bulb in the shed but... He wasn't in the direct flight path and he use video editing to zoom. If you use say a gopro hero3 and shoot in 4k you can zoom down to 1080p settings and you zoom in a good amount. So it depends on how you shoot the quality and editing for the zoom. It wasn't the camera that did the zoom it was software.

here is the video uploaded by Quadrotor Dragonfly

Last edited by a moderator:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Ok, so you think it was done in software. Darn, because then that means we can't narrow it down to only really high end equipment.

As for distance... he's only one DJI flyaway away from being in direct flight path. That flight was very clearly illegal, and very clearly risky if not outright dangerous. Not to mention, appearing to fly at very high altitude over a populated area.

haha49

Ok, so you think it was done in software. Darn, because then that means we can't narrow it down to only really high end equipment.

As for distance... he's only one DJI flyaway away from being in direct flight path. That flight was very clearly illegal, and very clearly risky if not outright dangerous. Not to mention, appearing to fly at very high altitude over a populated area.

I met that guy once before. So I know what he looks like. Can't remember the name though. (He isn't very bright)

dazzab

If the authorities want to find him it won't be hard. You can't post to YouTube without leaving a clear footprint that is fairly easy to follow. There are ways around that of course but I doubt very much that this particular person is that clever. He will come unstuck at some point in time. No need to call for a posse.

There's a picture of what looks like a pretty expensive rig on the top Banner of his YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ1ePjFtBSPvjMVC67MjmkQ

News stations have apparently been trying to get a hold of him the last few days https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ1ePjFtBSPvjMVC67MjmkQ/discussion

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I got a call back from the NTSC enforcement division, I had called to offer assistance in tracking him down. It sounds like they're well on their way to finding this guy, I think through simply following the digital breadcrumbs starting from his Youtube channel.

Actually had a good discussion about this stuff.

There's a picture of what looks like a pretty expensive rig on the top Banner of his YouTube page

Yeah, I was thinking that's what he used, but I'm not so sure anymore. Could just be a quad with a gopro.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Rob,

I'm all for self-policing of the community so kudos to you for using the resources here to help address the problem this user represents.

Just the fact that he thinks an active international airport and its traffic flow is a suitable subject for his drone "adventures" is worrisome enough but when the distance he's keeping doesn't satisfy his needs then it's just a matter of time before he starts inching closer and it may be his flying or loss of control that will put the manned aircraft around him at higher risk.

We can't say it to ourselves and to each other enough that we need to exercise the highest levels of self control in picking areas to fly and things to fly near. There's a lot of stuff that might be really exciting to fly near but would represent a bad day for all of us if it were actually done, documented, and made public.

Bart

jbrumberg

He might have to sell that fancy rig to help pay for his legal defense expenses. So everyone keep looking in those classified ads.

I joke, but I am serious about these irresponsible O/O's. They put lives and property at risk…. and our hobby.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Bart, yeah, but it is amazing to see the different opinions across different forums on the web. This one is definitely one of the more professional and safety oriented. Some places, people have a "Power to the people! Don't help the man, man!" reaction to this type of thing. Dude... there are people on that plane! Regular people!

I don't want a clamp-down on this stuff any more than the next guy. But that's why I think we need to work to get ahead of the situation, and work WITH the authorities to come to some sort of compromise so that they don't have to outright ban UAV usage after there is an accident.

There has actually been discussion amongst the Ardupilot community to add automatic exclusion zones around airports similar to what DJI has recently done. I'm a major proponent of this The problem is, some people think that it should not be the job of the autopilot software to enforce safe usage. And some people think the exclusion zone is overly restrictive. Its true that in some areas, if can be hard to find a place that is more than 5 miles away from any airport. In fact, I believe there are some MAAC club fields within the 5 mile radius! And then there are the people who think that Ardupilot represents some kind of grass-roots, power to the people, stick it the man movement, and will definitely resist any attempts to place controls in the software.

In my conversation with the official, he reiterated their stance that you can't fly 1 foot off the ground within the 5 mile restricted airspace around an airport. Unfortunately, I just don't think that kind of rule is realistic. It's unenforceable, and some people will never adhere to it, or even be aware of it, because it sort of doesn't make a lot of common sense. I think we should be pushing for something like... 300 foot maximum altitude between 3-5 miles of an airport, and then a 100 foot maximum to within 1 mile of an airport. Something like that. Something reasonable, and that makes sense to common people. And then all the autopilot manufacturers stick it in the firmware, and it's done. We can't do anything about traditional RC, that's out of our control.

jbrumberg

I have not seen anything about this at RCG, today and/or recently but maybe my instinctual self-preservation is kicking in and not letting me see it. My BP is already up today. I do not need any more aggravations.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Hah, yeah, me either. After you mentioned it I just wanted to see if this was being talked about. Just searched Vancouver, and voila. :)

haha49

I got a call back from the NTSC enforcement division, I had called to offer assistance in tracking him down. It sounds like they're well on their way to finding this guy, I think through simply following the digital breadcrumbs starting from his Youtube channel.

Actually had a good discussion about this stuff.

Yeah, I was thinking that's what he used, but I'm not so sure anymore. Could just be a quad with a gopro.

I know what he looks like because I met the person. Don't know his name though. He isn't the brightest bulb in the shed. I told him he was stupid for posting it online he said o well (this was when he first posted it)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
for what it's worth, i flew just a couple of miles offset from the center of a major airport within clear site of the departing and arriving traffic. the difference is i flew at altitudes less than fifty feet and the helicopter was tethered with 20# fishing line which was managed by a second person.

there are ways to do certain things and then there are ways to not do certain things.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
were going to start seeing unique i.d. beacons anytime here. I'm assuming the controller manufacturers are going to be forced to add firmware that will disable the drone if the i.d tag is tampered with. Maybe they can work on making the driving exam a little more difficult while they are at it.