God bless Red 4 of the RAF Red Arrows

Macsgrafs

What a sad day for all us aviation enthusiasts. Red 4, Jon Egging lost his life this afternoon after a break to land at Bournemouth airport, UK.

Sad, very sad, RIP my friend, you are already missed not just by me, but all those people whose hearts you filled with joy.

Ross

Difficult day for sure, I recently had the honour of taking Red 5 Kirsty Moores parents flying and had quite an insight into whats what with the Reds.

Must be difficult for the entire team both aircrew and ground. They truly are the best jet aerobatic team in the world.

Sad sad day.

Macsgrafs

Im not 100% sure, but it was during thier break to land, so I presume an engine cut, maybe due to bird strike!

I believe that it may well have been bird strike or other engine fault that made him fly lower than the rest of the Arrows, but I believe quite firmly that the problem that actually caused his death was down to an ejector seat problem. ?

He was seen by those that were quite close to the impact area to be fighting with something down between his legs, as he was head down and clearly struggling with something. Those guys would never have dropped the gear when they were about to make a forced landing on a soft surface, but his gear was dropped ! Remember that a few weeks later another Arrow pilot was killed by some fault with his seat.

All aircraft fitted with that type of seat were subsequently grounded temporarily which tells us that there was indeed a problem with that ejector seat design. Quite why Red 4 dropped his gear and then fought with something, maybe a locking pin in the seat underneath him, is unknown, but most unusual as if he was stuck in the aircraft, he would certainly have attempted a belly landing on the fields that were around him ?

May he RIP, and lets hope that the RAF pin the problem down and publish the true cause of his death, and do not simply put it down to pilot error as is so often the case, and an easy way out for them.

Macsgrafs

Hi Ian, yes I do believe an ejection seat problem was the actual cause of both deaths with the reds last year. Such a shame & I see they only have 7 aircraft for this years airshow circuit.
Ian I see your a fellow rc heli pilot using trex, I fly a trex 600esp, love it as well. i'm also into FPV ;)

Ross

Hi Ross

Yes, it is a great shame that we will not see Diamond 10 and other "mass" formations again, it was one of the things that set the Arrows apart from other display teams.

I also am going down into the "dark side" of MRC strictly because I just love the FPV systems that are now available. They allow me back into the cockpit after quite a few years of abstinence due to cost. However, I did get a flight in an R44 at the Blackpool air day last year, and to my amazement ended up having the historic flight Spitfire and Hurricane circling us a few hundred yards away waiting for the Lancaster to turn up. What an experience to be in the skies and close up with those 2 !!

Hi Ian, yes I do believe an ejection seat problem was the actual cause of both deaths with the reds last year. Such a shame & I see they only have 7 aircraft for this years airshow circuit.
Ian I see your a fellow rc heli pilot using trex, I fly a trex 600esp, love it as well. i'm also into FPV ;)

Ross

Macsgrafs

Lucky you getting the spit & hurricane just up in front...did you get any photos?
A few years ago I was recruited by a mate to help him film a microlight instructers funeral. I was given a free lift in a hughes 500D & dropped off in the middle of my local beach to film his ashes being scattered by loads of microlights, got some great footage as did my mate from the 500.

Tell me what you used to fly Ian, as I'm an aviation photographer & travel the country during the airshow season....only 3 booked so far this year, Yeovilton, Fairford & Dawlish.

Ross

Hi Ross
Yes we did get a couple, but not of good quality as I was in the back letting my wife have her first ever helicopter ride in the right hand seat. Still I will never forget that site, the pilots even waived to us.!!!!!!

I started flying as an RAF cadet at School via a flying scholarship on Tiger Moths (God Bless them), then moved on to Aircoupes, then to various pipers and finally to Cessnas. I have flown 152, 172 and 182 Cessnas, my last spell fully licensed was on a Cessna 182 dropping parachutists down in Cornwall, which I did for around 4 years and amassed quite a lot of hard earned P1 hours in doing so. I have also done about 8 hours informally in R22's.

Would be good to meet if you get up my way in Blackpool area.
Ian.

Macsgrafs

Sure thing mate, if I get up your way, will have to hook up & talk some cods sh*t ;)

to be honest with you I have never been in a cessna!!! only a few military helis...whirlwind, seaking & a RAF hawk...what a flight that was, especially since I flew about 70% of the time with the pilot in the back admiring the view ;) great days, sadly missed.

here's a few shots for you:-

View attachment 3980

View attachment 3981

View attachment 3982
View attachment 3983
View attachment 3984
View attachment 3985
View attachment 3986
View attachment 3987

Ross

Attachments

• as1.jpg