lumix 7-14

kloner

Aerial DP
I've had this glass since i got my gh3 body, but it never gets used for video cause it doesn't have a filter ring. rocketfish cheap 77mm nd filters come with a 72mm adapter and best buy has em for like $8 now on clearance. i took and chucked the filter, but that adapter in there is a snug fit over the 7-14 built in hood or whatever that is. then took some vinyl tape like electrical tape and wrapped it a few times, it's on there. this lens is money to, this was pre adapter, has a super wide angle with almost no distortion, can't wait to fly it more.
View attachment 16493

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pre-own...t=77mm rocketfish&cp=1&lp=6#tab=buyingOptions

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 294
Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Some nasty sun-flair there - and it shows up every spec of dust on the filter's front surface when pointed into the sun. That's going to be tricky in the air. Nevertheless I think this lens will look better in the air - on the ground the rectilinear stretching is almost as distracting as the GoPro's fisheye. ;)

kloner

Aerial DP
it got the lens cap left off when i flew a couple times before we did this walk...

it is 7mm, when we fly it i can see the retrats retracted and the top most the time, but it goes out to 14-28mm equiv.... it is para something or rather, that flare is showing the 7 layers of glass, it is super popular inside and around low light cause it doesn't have a filter, i still gotta try it now with one. Problem is it finally rained, and still raining, so i'm stranded, but going to meetup with some local fpv guys in the am and will take my long range jib out for a joyride and see how this new setup works, will report back.... This is a $1200 lens, no filter ring, no ios. it is popular on the BMPC

i got an 8mm rockinon that is 180 degree fov, it is so distorted compared to this theres no comparison in the lack of the fisheye. has it's place, def not the goto for everything

Kari

I really like my 7-14 too. Here's how i solved filter issue. I used Cokin filter holder without adapter ring, added some velcro tape between holder and lens until it's tight and it's working really well. Why i ended up this route instead round filter, this is not vignetting in corners at all even with bigger GH3 sensor, but i use it mostly with BMPCC where circular filters are not that big problem.

View attachment 16500View attachment 16501

Attachments

• kuva 1.jpg
    kuva 1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 264
  • kuva 2.jpg
    kuva 2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 256
  • kuva 1.jpg
    kuva 1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 277
  • kuva 2.jpg
    kuva 2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 258

kloner

Aerial DP
vignetting like this,,, mine is showing till about 8.5mm

does light get behind that glass at the top there? does it reflect light in there? how much is that one?

Kari

vignetting like this,,, mine is showing till about 8.5mm

does light get behind that glass at the top there? does it reflect light in there? how much is that one?

Exactly that's vignetting it does helps. I can use it all the way from 7mm up now. I haven't yet notice any problems with light hitting behind the filter, usually the copter above the gimbal protects quite well from that. Also you can use gaffa tape to insulate leaking light if necessary. Cokins are cheap, around 20 bucks the holder and filters are cheap as well.

kloner

Aerial DP
took a quick look at with/without filter. ran this 1080 24p with the cheap rocketfish nd linked and without. big thing i notice is the flares reduced alot. this was shot at 9mm focal. for that wide, it's similar looking to my eye as the focal on a hero,,,, but way better looking, and can control the camera. wish it had ios

kloner

Aerial DP
i was working on a gimbal today and flew this thing.... 14mm, that crappy nd that comes on the link above

nice glass......