brushless gimbals and wind.....question

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Did you keep the LG down just to show the stability? I'm curious how much fly time did you get on that setup. MAH?, props? motors?,6s? On 8000 4s we get 6 safe minutes of flight, lands with 3.7-3.8 on cells. flying XY8 on 4s ,tiger 2814's with apc SF 12x3.8's. The hoverfly pro does really well in wind, especially in manual mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Yuri

I left the legs down as reference. They are Aeronavics (DroidWorx) retracts. Flight times on the AXI 2820/18 DW edition motors with Xoar 13x5 carbons and 2 x DesirePower 6200mah 5 cell packs (highly recommended BTW - Lowest VD I have ever seen) is 8 mins safe. I also fly her on Zippy 2 x 8000mah pack for about the same flight time. Take off weight with GH3 and AV200IDD 2 x Desire Power 6200 packs is bang on 9KG

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
My AUW is about 5.4Kg with the 2814's, 4s,av200/360 and Sony cx760. It's interesting to see how much time one can weasle out of these things. Also makes it hard to believe when someone claims an hour flight time.

I see your lipos were named after the politicians of the world. :)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I see your lipos were named after the politicians of the world.

Really! They are the dogs Jobber.. lowest EVER VD on any pack I have flown. I am really happy with my ADX3/AV130(servo)/Carvec setup. its the money earner. I really don't see a need for flying a CX730 on a AV200 except maybe for two man setups.. mmmmm now there is a thought. Maybe I should stick CX720 on the AV200IDD Carvec eh?

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
My XY8 was my 2 man op, I would use a handful of cams but the CX turned into my goto video cam. The Y6 had the av130 and was my single operator heli. A good combo.

kloner

Aerial DP
they got VD, yikes....

mine was filmed in 5-15 with rad thermals off the hiot rocks.... all unstabilized yet in that footage, why it was posted. i'm 26lbs with 20 amp hours and 19 minute flight times on a2 in that

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
So basically you have twice the weight, 2.5x the lipo in 6s and you get 3x the flight time! Interesting. So clearly the point of diminishing returns is pretty high on a monster heli.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
they got VD, yikes....

mine was filmed in 5-15 with rad thermals off the hiot rocks.... all unstabilized yet in that footage, why it was posted. i'm 26lbs with 20 amp hours and 19 minute flight times on a2 in that

Eh!

So From sat on the ground to hover what are you getting as a voltage drop across your packs?

Dave

Quinton

Aye Up Yuri

I left the legs down as reference. They are Aeronavics (DroidWorx) retracts. Flight times on the AXI 2820/18 DW edition motors with Xoar 13x5 carbons and 2 x DesirePower 6200mah 5 cell packs (highly recommended BTW - Lowest VD I have ever seen) is 8 mins safe. I also fly her on Zippy 2 x 8000mah pack for about the same flight time. Take off weight with GH3 and AV200IDD 2 x Desire Power 6200 packs is bang on 9KG

Dave

Find it weird that your setup is 9KG, and my SJ6 Ti Super is 9.5KG with a Zenmuse and 5D AND 2x 8300 Desires (Flight time 9-10 mins landing @ 22V)
BTW my hover/landing drop voltage is 0.5V
BTW I can usually suss out what all the abbreviations are but what is VD? .. please no funny remarks ;)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
BTW I can usually suss out what all the abbreviations are but what is VD?

Voltage drop…. sorry!

U got helium i there somewhere ;-) Your VD is what I am experiencing with DP packs but on the Y6 its 0.4

Dave

kloner

Aerial DP
Ahh, ground is 25.2, air is 24.3 and i land by 21.5 in the sky rests at 22.2, gens ace 25c 10 amp times 2. that's at about 30 lbs,,,,, i don't notice a real difference until it's overloaded, then it's a chaotic scene, recognize em now. The thing on u7 flies so long i have this crazy feeling its gonna come down any moment after 20 minutes,,, spooky feeling going from 6-8 minutes to this

I'm drawing 100 amps max, has TBS EzOSD pro with a current sensor, normal hover with a gh3 is 40 amps

kloner

Aerial DP
these flights here are with gens ace 30c 5300 times 2 and a hero on a 3 axis, these packs are a year old and over 350 cycles in each.... half of 12 of these have been retired with rising IR and the Vaa Daa.... still not bad, put a red under em and yea, you see it drop off fast...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye

I have cheap old Tunrgy 5000mah packs and on F450 they seem to go on forever BUT put um under load and ouch they are a dead deal on out bigger… horses for courses everyone has their preferred stuff.

I also have GensAce packs my 5000 mah packs weigh more than my DesirePower 5200 mah but I guess its all in the detail and personal experience.

DP for me now every time.

Happy sunday as I am sure the weather over your side of the pond is a fook site better than mine!

Dave

kloner

Aerial DP
have a good weekend dave..... i was suppose to go film a spot for gatorade tomorrow but the athlettes attorney shut it down so now it's Daytona @ kloners house......

kloner

Aerial DP
heres some zippy compacts, there terrible, but the draws are so low it's alright.... these are brand new, 30 or 35x 2700mah... 3520 motors,,,

talk about brushless gimbals and wind, heres one with the sound left on, gets going 45-50 there at the end

kloner

Aerial DP
hahaha, it must be genius talk, all i can figure out.... understood everything he said along the way, scarry

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Great thread guys.

I think a big part of the question depends on whether or not the gimbal is being hit by prop-wash. Because prop wash can cause turbulence which hits the camera, and this just gets so much worse if there's a wind. I built an H8 multirotor where the camera is way out front, and not being subject to prop was at all. I've flown it at 60 km/h with a lens hood installed, with pretty good stability I think. Skip ahead to 2:00+ This was a 2-axis mount only, however.

I'm now starting to play with 3 axis, and honestly, sometimes it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. I really would like to consider going to a big fat Servo Power Gearbox on pan. Just something that allows me to turn the camera to position for different shots (ie: side-on, following, etc.). But first I need to get the yaw stability needed. Yaw stability is pretty good on a multirotor, but on the heli not so much. I'm talking about jitter, not total control, which obviously a heli is pretty good at. Acrobatic heli pilots don't care about the 1° of jitter they might be getting, but a camera will pick it up.

All know I know for sure is that the pan motor on this gimbal I bought (LotusRC PTZ-E) is probably not going to cut it.

I think another aspect to wind stability, is going to be your gimbal controller processing speed. It needs to be fast to catch a gust of wind which can hit much harder and faster than typical movements from the airframe do. I'm starting to play with the Virtual Robotix gimbal controller, which uses an STM32 processor instead of an 8-bit that the other guys use. Theoretically it should be able to operate 10-100 times faster. And so far, I think I can feel it.