I've only got one set of hands..... pilot, photographer or both?

blades

Being relatively new to the world of multicopters I wanted to ask a question in relation to just how much one set of hands can control?
In equipment terms at what point does it become essential to have a second person to either pilot the copter or operate the camera / filming?
Realistically, what is the best equipment you can use as a single pilot / operator, filming results wise?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what is possible by a single person operating both copter and camera.

Many thanks in advance

kloner

Aerial DP
theres no real job a second person can do till you get a two man rig. one flys, other gimbals, that's how we make movies, commercials, do pro work. till then with 2 axis at least imo is really hard to mimic pro quality with not being able to constantly track the subject in perfect framing..... i do it both ways, 2 man i so much less stress but it's half the money so....

you can park your rig with gps lock and move your attention over to camera work, yaw and tilt the camera

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Being relatively new to the world of multicopters I wanted to ask a question in relation to just how much one set of hands can control?
In equipment terms at what point does it become essential to have a second person to either pilot the copter or operate the camera / filming?
Realistically, what is the best equipment you can use as a single pilot / operator, filming results wise?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what is possible by a single person operating both copter and camera.

Many thanks in advance

if you're only doing photos then a second man will almost never be required. the only time i bring a second person to photo shoots is when i need someone watching my back for traffic or whatever while i'm doing my thing. video's another story but even then you can do a lot as single operator.

a big part of my operation (here's my big secret), i still use the pair of Myvu goggles that I bought off of RTRyder when I was first getting started. I look out over them to fly and then down inside to monitor what the camera is doing. I can go back and forth constantly throughout the flight. I've got two pairs in reserve because they don't make them anymore.

bson

Hi!

Like already mentioned in the thread, taking pictures is not really an issue. However, video is a completely different story. Ideally two operators and a three axis gimbal is what most people use. However, a setup with two operators has its limitation as well, since it requires lots of training and an efficient way of communicating, especially when it comes to situation requiring improvisation. Ideally a one man (with one brain) operation will not have this drawback and also keeping down the cost. The problem is that the human being only has two hands, and flying a multirotor in a smooth continuous way will keep at least 3/4 of these two hands busy controlling multorotor tilt, roll and throttle. With a 2-axis gimbal and a course locking FC you use your last 1/4 of your two hands capacity to pan the camera without affecting direction of your course. Now there is one function missing, the camera tilt which most people operates with a control separate from the two joysticks. However, to change the tilt smoothly you have to move either your left or right hand away from the joystick to change the camera tilt. This will of course interrupt you smooth flying which is not acceptable.

I have built a solution to overcome this which you can read about in my tech blog at http://techblog.vyfabriken.se/2014/01/a-one-operator-solution-for-aerial-video.html I'm in the test/evaluating phase of this and it works really well.

Good luck!

/Björn

Bartman

My tilt is on a pot on my right stick, pan is on a pot on my left stick :)

photos? did you mount the pots yourself or did you adapt some old school three axis gimbals to your radio? there used to be single stick radios with elevator, aileron, and yaw on one stick but i haven't seen them in a while.

bart

Bartman

keep an eye out for a mod i've been working on to add a third axis to most two axis camera mounts.....about $40 and maybe a few ounces....

it will give us single operators a quick way to convert to a two-man, three-axis rig.

i'll post a video soon. :)

rotorvista

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 411
Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Having the switches and dials to operate both the aircraft and the camera simultaneously is one thing but to operate the whole setup safely is another. Safety has to be paramount and unless the aircraft is static it is just not safe to operate the aircraft and take video at the same time.

Bartman

Having the switches and dials to operate both the aircraft and the camera simultaneously is one thing but to operate the whole setup safely is another. Safety has to be paramount and unless the aircraft is static it is just not safe to operate the aircraft and take video at the same time.

hi carapau, i'm sorry but i have to disagree. this is what i've used for just over three years now and they've been great as my head is always pointed at the helicopter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001263XDW

they're not made anymore but can be found at various used outlets.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
This looks like turning into a good discussion. In my mind if there is any movement in the aircraft and any movement involved in the video (ie panning, tilting) then this is too much for the pilot to deal with. If you are taking video there is a natural tendancy to get sucked into getting the perfect shot, especially if under pressure to get a good take on a commercial job. This therefore means that the pilot is not concentrating as much as they should on controlling the aircraft. This control of the aircraft is not just confined to the flying of the aircraft but also what is happening in the immediate surrounds of the aircraft such as other air users, people encroaching etc etc. I am sorry but you just can't give the right levels of concentration required to do both to the levels that a professional shoot requires. I discussed very similar multi-tasking scenarios at length with ergonomics experts when I was in the military helping design armored fighting vehicles and they were unanimous in their view that you would be only able to concentrate properly on one such task not both.

Bartman

carapau, i think the original comments were that a lot of video work can be done without a second operator but that doesn't mean all video so, yes, there will be times when the second operator will be necessary to get the right shot and to do it safely.

Quinton

I've got a jeti DS16 the pots are a simple add on to the sticks just had to solder 3 wires onto the board on the gimbal, pretty much plug n play. With the jeti you can also have any type of switch in any position on the transmitter, I've added a safety locking switch for my fail safe switch.

https://www.electricwingman.com/jeti-transmitters.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgbH6ifveU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdW70c7E0g&list=UUuYeglZ9f7dujsWqw1pLa9Q&feature=c4-overview

Very clever (and simple)
Wish Futaba had something similar.

Mauronic

I am really interested in tools to empower a single operator. I am building a aircraft mounted remote controlled Picture in Picture box so you can frame shots while flying FPV. Of course, you still need an easy way to control the gimbal and it seems like there are some good ideas on how to do that in this thread.

rotorvista

I fly the camera and although I have panning on my stick I use I the yaw to pan when flying solo.Droidworx retracts bud.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Blades.... For what it is worth....
In some countries the regulations require a 2nd MR operator for safety reasons where the pilot is at risk of crashing the MR due to multitasking challenges such as with FPV and/or video work.
But the 3rd axis also adds a significant amount of MR weight so as to reduce flight time requires a separate RC receiver and Transmitter and operator c/w separate FPV.....
Yaw control provides the same results as panning but imposes a lot of extra challenge on the Pilot if moving forward at the same time.
The DJI IOC capability can help somewhat but you are locked in to one sideways video angle.
The DJI POI capability is also a nice feature if you are wanting to circle around the subject with the video camera remaining pointed straight at the subject thru the full 360 degrees.
Unfortunately there is no way around the extra weight and cost if you must have RC remote control of the MR video camera including panning capability.

Last edited by a moderator: