MultiRotor VS Helicopter in Windy conditions

Emowillcox

Curious to get some opinions from you guys:) using the multicopters for a while now as to what platform you would prefer on a windy day Multicopter VS Helicopter for shooting photos! ?:confused: Right now my multicopter experience is limited to low end machines like a guai 330 and some homemade machines. My experience is non of these quads seem to handle the wind like my trex 450 or other helis I have flown.......atleast I have not felt comfortable flying quads in wind.
Going backwards with my research on the multicopters because I have been only thinking about doing video yet I will be shooting photos 90% of the time.
Does anyone think a multimachine can handle the wind like or better then a heli.
thanks for your time< MIKE:cool::eek::rolleyes::eek::D

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Curious to get some opinions from you guys:) using the multicopters for a while now as to what platform you would prefer on a windy day Multicopter VS Helicopter for shooting photos! ?:confused: Right now my multicopter experience is limited to low end machines like a guai 330 and some homemade machines. My experience is non of these quads seem to handle the wind like my trex 450 or other helis I have flown.......atleast I have not felt comfortable flying quads in wind.
Going backwards with my research on the multicopters because I have been only thinking about doing video yet I will be shooting photos 90% of the time.
Does anyone think a multimachine can handle the wind like or better then a heli.
thanks for your time< MIKE:cool::eek::rolleyes::eek::D

No brainer for me, I'd take a 90 size gasser heli over any of my multirotors on a windy day, but that's the only time I'd prefer the heli over the multi. My XCell Spectra G with 26cc engine was amazingly stable in conditons that would ground either of my MK Hexa but I can fly the Hexa in places that it would be impossible to fly the Spectra safely. I sold the Spectra to finance MK #2 but I still have a Century Radikal G20 gasser, only slightly smaller and just a smidge less stable than the XCell but I've never considered putting a camera mount on it or any other heli I own or have owned.

I think if I were to go the Heli route now I'd go for a Trex 700E, by the time you get it fully outfitted it would weigh enough to be stable in the wind and be at least as expensive as a fully loaded Mikrokopter, if not more.

Ken

Emowillcox

Hey Ken thanks for the response! I guess I could have asked more questions
if it wasn't obvious and thats if I spend more money a multicopter would it work better in the wind. I am flying a 450 Helicopter and it works in winds up to 25MPH and will take the photos I need.

No brainer for me, I'd take a 90 size gasser heli over any of my multirotors on a windy day, but that's the only time I'd prefer the heli over the multi. My XCell Spectra G with 26cc engine was amazingly stable in conditons that would ground either of my MK Hexa but I can fly the Hexa in places that it would be impossible to fly the Spectra safely. I sold the Spectra to finance MK #2 but I still have a Century Radikal G20 gasser, only slightly smaller and just a smidge less stable than the XCell but I've never considered putting a camera mount on it or any other heli I own or have owned.

I think if I were to go the Heli route now I'd go for a Trex 700E, by the time you get it fully outfitted it would weigh enough to be stable in the wind and be at least as expensive as a fully loaded Mikrokopter, if not more.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hey Ken thanks for the response! I guess I could have asked more questions
if it wasn't obvious and thats if I spend more money a multicopter would it work better in the wind. I am flying a 450 Helicopter and it works in winds up to 25MPH and will take the photos I need.

A decent size heli is always going to be more stable in the wind from my experience with RC helis and living in place where it's nearly always windy (roughly 15 miles inland from the Atlantic ocean). If I were going to make a living out of APV I'd probably have both a large electric heli outfitted with a proper 3 axis mount and a well setup 600mm or larger multi with at least 6 if not 8 motors and probably in a Y or X coax setup, plus maybe a smaller multi for close quarters flying that would carry a GoPro or a small point and shoot camera.

I have yet to experience a multi rotor that can match a large heli in the wind for stability, and my MK/Droidworx AD-6 is pretty close to the ultimate hobbyist setup so far, so I do have a basis for comparison. I think to cover all the bases and have something that you can get the shot with regardless of the location you need both and probably a couple of different sizes of each to do it right.

Ken

Emowillcox

Good info Ken
I like how the multi copters are shooting video and seem to have less vibration but curious how they will hold up in wind.
Wondered though if you have a hexa or octo copter out there how ill the mass of those blades deal with the wind.
I have been trying to follow the threads on the y6 and wondering if they might be a good platform for wind, wide angle lens, and heavy lift potential.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Most I have flown my Y6 in was 10 gusting 15mph wind.. video on youtube. I would not like to try in anything more..

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
This topic gives me a forum boner! If my damn xaircraft doesnt come in this week i am probably going to go to the trex 700 as well. It seems this is an unperfected hobby that you have to really enjoy messing around with to get a few good flights out of. One person put it best. "helicopters are an aircraft with a computer to help it fly.....multi rotors are computers that fly." So I had in mind to try the XA then very likely move to the MK but at the end of the day I really do want to fly in some wind! There seem to be mixed messages here. Some say they fly in 15-20 with their multis no problem. And I would think photography would not be that big of a deal either way. but not being an experienced heli pilot I dont know what it would be like to fly a heli with $5k of gear in 20mph. I have read on APlanding someone said, the only reason they flew their heli in winds was because they had driven so far to the job site they took a chance. That is not convincing! So basically if you have a headwind shot you might be able to pull it off. I think some people consider flying in wind being able to fight the wind and land the aircraft safely. but to us noobs, we are picturing being able to get this silky smooth flight path on a 20+ day. In the end I like the multi because of it's size and repairability. Helis swing an expensive dangerous blade that needs absolute perfect balancing in every way. So if you like tinkering with mechanical stuff go heli, if you like learning what the hell a PIB sandwich is maybe the Multi is the way to go.

jes1111

I'm in the course of designing/building a "stills AP" Y6 for "very heavy lifting" - up to Canon EOS1 + heavy lens. Many people I've spoken with ask me why I haven't gone with a helicopter. Mostly because I don't fancy the complexity and delicate nature of a helicopter - I really like the low moving-parts count on a multirotor. Plus crash-costs. Plus compact transportation. Plus easier piloting. Plus more flexible gimbal positioning (for field of view). Plus less danger. Etc.

Wind stability is strongly linked to mass, I believe - more mass equals less displacement by a given wind force. A Trex 700 is about 5kg before gimbal and camera - call it 7kg all-up. By coincidence, that's my target AUW for my Y6. It'll be interesting to see how it handles wind (of which I have plenty here, being on the coast of Portugal).

Macsgrafs

I havent used a MR craft yet, still building but my Trex600esp was ok in winds up to 10MPH, above that you are constantly correcting & it makes for crap quality video. If you cant get 10 seconds of smooth video, then it cant be used for pro use.

Ross