Wookong issue

ianhowser

I have a post in the general section under strange wookong issue which I should have posted in this forum. Did some flight testing yesterday and things are not right. When flying in gps in forward flight the aircraft (skyjib8) will via off to the left and sometimes right in an abrupt arc. The nose direction yaws badly almost 270 degrees. Then when you let go of the controls the aircraft circles in a bad toilet bowl effect. Also if the aircraft is in a hover and you fly left the aircraft nose will again yaw around 270 degrees. If flying in atti things are not as bad but still happening, in forward flight it tracks a true path but as soon as you release the sticks the nose yaws to the left. I have tried calibrating the compass, reverting to older firmware, calibrating sticks, compass inclination, replacing imu, all to no effect. Next thing will be to replace the gps and then the rc. Has anybody ever seen an aircraft behave like this or have any ideas as to what's up?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
there are many threads showing how to compensate for the declination in the earth's magnetic fields by rotating your gps puck a few degrees. I cant remember which way it is but try turning it one way or the other, that will most likely fix the toilet bowl. not sure if that is also tied to the yaw issue. i had a bad yaw twitch on my y6 with woochang and it never got resolved.

CdA D

Be sure to check your gain setting for yaw. It might be a bit to high. Just a WAG. As IrisAerial says, you may have to adjust your GPS. Sounds like you have two different things going on here. Let us know if this helps.

ianhowser

Have flown the aircraft a lot over the last 2 days and there is something very wrong. Have moved the gps and then today replaced the gps from another aircraft. I am aware of how to compensate for magnetic declination and have tested this to no avail. I am beginning to think that it could be something mechanical i.e. a faulty esc, how would you know if its a esc problem? Motors seem fine all have good temps on landing. Going to fly tomorrow in a different location to rule out interference. Any ideas of anything else to check? should i try replacing the fc? All help greatly received. I don't think its a gain issue as its been fine for the last few months. Only things that have changed are the batteries from 6s 6200 to 6s 10000. Have adjusted cog also!

kloner

Aerial DP
the newest wk firmwares, like the last year you do not do anything for declination, the software does it based on the gps location so you just point them straight ahead now.

to find mechanical faults you will have to troubleshoot the rig after a flight, use atti instead, give it a flight, go to it (we use a ir thermometer) and measure motors, esc's, wires, anything stand out as hot? that's usually the offender.

ianhowser

Didn't realise that about the newer firmware, thanks for the info. We have been flying in atti also and it still miss behaves, tried checking heat of esc's with fingers but hard to tell especially when my hands are so cold. Will get an ir temp gun before tomorrows flights.

Do you have another copter? Try moving the controller to the other one and see if the trouble moves with it. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have a post in the general section under strange wookong issue which I should have posted in this forum. Did some flight testing yesterday and things are not right. When flying in gps in forward flight the aircraft (skyjib8) will via off to the left and sometimes right in an abrupt arc. The nose direction yaws badly almost 270 degrees. Then when you let go of the controls the aircraft circles in a bad toilet bowl effect. Also if the aircraft is in a hover and you fly left the aircraft nose will again yaw around 270 degrees. If flying in atti things are not as bad but still happening, in forward flight it tracks a true path but as soon as you release the sticks the nose yaws to the left. I have tried calibrating the compass, reverting to older firmware, calibrating sticks, compass inclination, replacing imu, all to no effect. Next thing will be to replace the gps and then the rc. Has anybody ever seen an aircraft behave like this or have any ideas as to what's up?

Guessing ESC. Take props off, spin up motors and in low idle put load on each motor one at a time and then increase throttle, see if one motor stops easier than the others.. you ay even smoke the bad esc. R the Simon K mayteks by any chance?

Dave

Gbillerty

Is threr anything wrong with the the Simon K maytech?

I have just finished my build of a octo frame and I got a hard Toilet bowl effect. Changed angle of GPS bu still TBE...

When I plug the battery, the ESC do not do the initial bip sound all syncro together.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Hey kloner, when you're done diagnosing this one, can you take some time to help me with some childhood issues I've been wanting to get off my chest? Mostly my travel issues that started when my dad beat me with a globe when I was 5.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
When I plug the battery, the ESC do not do the initial bip sound all syncro together.

Well, this could be the issue. This normally happens when the ESCs are not all correctly callibrated.

kloner

Aerial DP
it'll do it over propped as well..... if you have a smaller set to try, see if it still does it. if you have an iosd, download the logs and see where the throttle range is riding.

Gbillerty

I recalibrated the ESC but same thing... beeps are not made all syncro. You guys think I have a problematic ESC? Should I see it during fly in ATTI mode?

tahoejmfc

James Cole
I think you should take Kloners advice, remove all props, spin up motors and apply load to motor(i.e.: slow down with your hand) and see if one of them has not torque

I recalibrated the ESC but same thing... beeps are not made all syncro. You guys think I have a problematic ESC? Should I see it during fly in ATTI mode?