Sanity checking requested for first-time build.

codefox

I've decided to put together a multirotor to get into the hobby. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that will get me in the air and that I can learn from. I would eventually like to get into autonomous flight, but I must crawl before I walk/run.

The group-build topic is promising, but I think even that is more than I currently need. I found an article suggesting a bare-bones intro build, but I'm not so sure about the SunnySky x2208-1500s. I found mentions that they don't live up to their specs.

Therefore, I've compiled a somewhat modified build. I've run the specs past a multirotor calculation app, and it looks okay, but I'd greatly appreciate yeas or nays from some people before I pull the trigger.

Should this build work for me? Is there anything I've overlooked? Please let me know :nevreness:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
For just a little you can get much better motors. Choose that is 2212-13 from the SunnySky range that is 900kv or thereabouts and will run on 3\4 S. And just get some 9x5 props. :)

codefox

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply! I'm looking to learn while doing this, so could you explain what makes those SunnySky motors better?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Don't forget a prop balancer. Definitely part of the learning process AND something you will use forever if you get a decent one.

I don't know anything about the Orange transmitters, but you might want to think about a Tx (Orange or other) that will be usable for you after/if you move past the learning phase. Might need one with more channels (8+) if you stick with the hobby, and better to invest once??? Your call obviously.

Good luck! Look forward to following your progress.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Hi Jeff,

If you are looking for self leveling the KK2.1 can do it but you CANNOT (as far as I know and I have been surfing the KK2.1 threads on RCgroups and other net places) there isnt a way to put a GPS on it. If you are looking for GPS features, motopreserve (Scott) has a flight controller based off the audrino software that does have a GPS.

I have no experience with the Turnigy Transmitters so I can't really comment on it. One thing I did was purchase a "decent" transmitter, well at least I consider it a decent transmitter, a used Spektrum DX8 and I really like it thus far.

Mike :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you are looking at that Turnigy, you might want to check in to the FrySky brand. Apparently they are the source of these Tx, and the Turnigy is just re-branded. There also may be some software advantages to the FrySky version - but that will take a little digging, since I ended up with a different brand altogether.

codefox

If you are looking at that Turnigy, you might want to check in to the FrySky brand. Apparently they are the source of these Tx, and the Turnigy is just re-branded. There also may be some software advantages to the FrySky version - but that will take a little digging, since I ended up with a different brand altogether.

Thanks for your input Scott(?). I'm warming up to the FrSky Taranis X9D, it seems to be a full-featured radio at a reasonable cost (Spektrum, etc. seem out of my price range at present). But now I'm a little lost on the receiver side of things. I'm assuming the X9D won't work with the OrangeRX receiver; ACCST and DSM2 don't sound like the kind of things that would be compatible. As far as I can tell, this would be the minimum spec-ed/priced receiver to get into the air using the FrSky Tx: FrSky 4Ch Rx Do I have that right?

But then again I'm a little concerned that I'll be locking myself into a technology that isn't widely supported. DSM2/X seems to be very widely accepted. Maybe I'd be best to get a cheapo radio systems for starters and upgrade later, instead of investing now in a system that will leave me with compatibility issues in the future. Any thoughts?

Also, Mike, I don't know what Jeff's ambitions may be, but I'm not looking to have GPS at this stage, so the KK2.1 sounds like it will be okay for my purposes. Though it's good to know about other FCs on the market for further down the road. :)

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Thanks for your input Scott(?). I'm warming up to the FrSky Taranis X9D, it seems to be a full-featured radio at a reasonable cost (Spektrum, etc. seem out of my price range at present). But now I'm a little lost on the receiver side of things. I'm assuming the X9D won't work with the OrangeRX receiver; ACCST and DSM2 don't sound like the kind of things that would be compatible. As far as I can tell, this would be the minimum spec-ed/priced receiver to get into the air using the FrSky Tx: FrSky 4Ch Rx Do I have that right?

But then again I'm a little concerned that I'll be locking myself into a technology that isn't widely supported. DSM2/X seems to be very widely accepted. Maybe I'd be best to get a cheapo radio systems for starters and upgrade later, instead of investing now in a system that will leave me with compatibility issues in the future. Any thoughts?

Also, Mike, I don't know what Jeff's ambitions may be, but I'm not looking to have GPS at this stage, so the KK2.1 sounds like it will be okay for my purposes. Though it's good to know about other FCs on the market for further down the road. :)

Code,

Take a look at this video from Bruce.....in the description there are a ton of ???'s answered and links to some threads in multiple groups that discuss the Taranis.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4U4OUcamM

I am not going with GPS yet but may do so in the future. Still trying to get this puppy off the ground (gotta build it first :) )

By the way Bruce lives in New Zealand and is a REALLY good guy and does very easy to understand videos...I haven't seen them all but I am subscribed to his channel and love his videos.

Mike :)

jbrumberg

The KK2.0 and KK2.1 boards with the OSD and with all the video tutorials available seem "easy" to set up based on all the internet and website "chatter". KK is not GPS compatible. I have a KK2.0 flashed v1.6 on my build. I put my Rx on velcro for a reason. When/if my needs change so will the Rx. When it comes to all the Tx craziness it is, has been, and will remain crazy. Every make and model has their respective advocates. I like my FlySky FS TH9x(B). It has its faults and its strengths; each make does. When it comes down to it. A good multi-channel Tx with a matched Rx is the way to go. One gets what they pay for.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think there are enough cheap options for the frsky that you should be able to get something decent without worrying about being locked in. Most Tx manufacturers have their own proprietary connection, so unless you end up with the company that you always stick with - you'll likely have to replace an RX at some point when you upgrade your Tx. Maybe get the cheapest 6-8 channel you can match to the Tx. That should keep you going for a while. I think I saw one for $17.

jbrumberg

The more channels to begin with the better. One ties up 5 channels with basic flight control and auto leveling. I say this all the time your Tx is your destiny. A good Tx-Rx match is all you need in the long run, but you get what you pay. There are a lot of decent 8 channel Tx and compatible Rx's available. FlySky and the TH9x series of Tx's Tx protocol seems compatible with Frsky protocol from what I've read, but that is not really within my area of interest currently; but I would check out those protocol compatibilities. One does not have to take on a second mortgage to buy a Tx; just for all the stuff to build a couple more quads.

Last edited by a moderator:

codefox

The more channels to begin with the better. One ties up 5 channels with basic flight control and auto leveling. .... One does not have to take on a second mortgage to buy a Tx; just for all the stuff to build a couple more quads.

But when your future plan is to build a fully autonomous multirotor (i.e. no Tx involved), learning (and having a little fun) on a base-spec Tx starts sounding nice. :friendly_wink: I think this will be my route, and I will upgrade to a higher spec/ch/price Tx later should I continue on with the RC part of the hobby.

Forgive me if this is a newb question, but what purpose does the 5th channel serve? I thought channels 1-4 were flight control, and the FC took care of auto-leveling. I'm probably missing something. :\

jbrumberg

People recommend (at least for the KK2.0 board) that one turn off auto-level initially so one can fine tune the settings to one's personal preferences.

There are these switches called receiver switches that can be connected to the open Rx channels that can be used (assigned by the transmitter on Tx/Rx Channels 6, 7, and 8) for auxiliary stuff like lights.

codefox

It flies!

Everything came together smoothly, and I got a chance to fly (i.e. snow mostly gone, not frigidly cold) a few weekends back. I hadn't flown a multirotor before, but it seemed to perform well once everything was trimmed/tuned. My girlfriend came along to practice with her camera, shooting a moving target:

I'll post a few more pictures, including some shots detailing the build, once I find the time.

Typically you want to be able to turn auto-level on and off. This takes a channel.

Apparently, the KK2.x can be set to use the al/el stick to turn auto-level on and off, similar to the way the th/rd stick arms and disarms it, meaning it can be flown fully with only a 4ch Tx. I prefer using one of the switches though, so it's good I upped my channel count. Thanks for the advice. :encouragement:

Lar176

Looks good. May want to think about changing the color of the props for the front or back so you can see the direction when you start flying a little further out.