DJI A2 PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY (New firmware may change my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kloner

Aerial DP
of course we all want to not have an issue in the first place. You act like i'm your enemy, i'm just the guy that'll listen and respond to the whining. It's a pretty easy thing to deal with, if the heats too hot, get out of the kitchen

Kloner.....Very good information to consider and very important too.
Where there is doubt as to the degree of safety of a flying system, the insurance allows for a path forward.
But where there are known safety issues, I hope pilots would choose NOT to fly regardless of the insurance coverage, since that approach would ultimately be harmful to innocent individuals and would eventually drive up the cost of insurance.
I like how insurance companies can apply pressure to move the process in the right direction over time.

In America we use a common law system and within that is something called setting precedent. luckily everybody's favorite fearless leader trappy came through here with backing and has proven the faa has nothing to stand on when it comes to the charge of "flying for hire".TRM is on the advisory boards, there all up in the USA uav/uas rule making advisories. if you got a rig and are worried about crashing, get this stuff..... full hull coverage and it's real. Support Transport Risk... i feel like there my biggest advocate in going forward with a voice and a mind with alot of thought for the good of the industry.

All insurance companies investigate crashes, bring forth suits to cover there losses and it forces the companies at fault to not be so negligent by the almighty dollar. they have resources no one person can bring to the table, across countries

Javier

of course we all want to not have an issue in the first place. You act like i'm your enemy, i'm just the guy that'll listen and respond to the whining. It's a pretty easy thing to deal with, if the heats too hot, get out of the kitchen

Well, you haven't provided any useful comments except suggesting to get insurance, and that's NOT going to prevent anyone from crashing. You can call it whining or whatever the heck you want. I just decided to post what happened to me so that other fliers would be careful. It would have been a lot easier for me to just not do anything. However, I think other fliers can benefit from this, be more careful as to what equipment they use, and prevent some senseless accidents. That's what this forum is all about... helping each other.

And for all these years I thought it was all just a media strategy to malign foreign vehicle manufacturers so that North American customers would shift back to buying domestic manufactured vehicles!....... at a time of economic crisis when many domestic vehicle manufacturers were going into bankruptcy.

Just one question to finish this non-sense: wouldn't you rather NOT crash and maybe kill someone because the car accelerated by itself, like a very well-known case in the US?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
BH.. I aint been on here for a few day coz of work pressure.

I wil goback and read posts and catch up..

MY PROBLEM STILL

I have to have telemetry to meet my CAA obligations. I have to use a TX/RX that will give me that information for my flight logs. SO I bought the S-Bus adaptor so I could use Spektrum DX18 / AR9020 RX / TM1000 telemetry module. I have EVERYTHING working inclisinf return to home switch but just cannot get the unit to go to failsafe when I turn TX off. DJI are useless on CS as the last email rep once I got from european TS was read the manual!!! Like I aint read the crap a thousand times!

Anyhow would be keen to here from anyone using the S-BUS converter to see if its working for them..

As I have not flown it in the field since upgrading I would be really interested to knioe how the FS works as with V! it was scary as hell in the speed it reacted..

Also how is the gps flight? V1 was like a really OLD WKM where once the sticks were released it stopped on the split rather than a smooth transition.. I bough three of these and all three are paper weights at the moment with two machines, my own and eyeballs converted back to WKM's. I am wondering If the first releases have a problem in the hardware.

Off to read everything that has been posted!

Dave

Yes the iOSD in theory can function like a black box recording evidence that "might" lead to the root cause of the incident. However I found myself in a situation where I was reading the motor current data with a biased mind set so as to intrepret it in a way to help justify a preconceived notion which proved later to be false. Also the iOSD needs the graphs to show meaninful scales on both axes. With some additional firmware development it should be possible for it to retain more complete information as does the MK equivalent. In the meantime it is not in the best interest for a manufacturer to record all possible data, especially data that tends to lead toward self-incrimination!

gtranquilla, that's true, and proving that there was a problem with the equipment is not easy. Fortunately, I had the iOSD which saves a log of every flight. I have the iOSD log file which I sent to DJI, and of course, they haven't responded (and probably won't). However, tonight I'll go ahead and publish a graph from the iOSD that will show something very interesting.

Javier

Yes the iOSD in theory can function like a black box recording evidence that "might" lead to the root cause of the incident. However I found myself in a situation where I was reading the motor current data with a biased mind set so as to intrepret it in a way to help justify a preconceived notion which proved later to be false. Also the iOSD needs the graphs to show meaninful scales on both axes. With some additional firmware development it should be possible for it to retain more complete information as does the MK equivalent. In the meantime it is not in the best interest for a manufacturer to record all possible data, especially data that tends to lead toward self-incrimination!

Absolutely true Peter, and as you say, the iOSD log viewer needs to show meaningful scales on both axes and also display the information in a much better way; especially when combining information from different variables. It's NOT the best viewer by far. Also, if for example (like in my case), you switch from GPS mode to Atti mode or RTH but the A2 doesn't detect it or interprets it correctly, that will never show up on the log; the log records only what the FC puts out on the CAN Bus. In the case of the motors, for example, it records the power the FC put out to the motors, but NOT the position of the stick on the radio to confirm that you actually throttled up or down at any particular time. Wouldn't it be great if you could see the radio inputs and compare them to the FC outputs to the system? For now, it's only a start...

jazzboy

I think most AP guys are in it for the long haul so you are correct, we must be able to take a good dose of BBQ:) It's just a massive pain in the hole when gear fails. The bummer is that premiums go up once you have a claim, so no matter how good the insurance company we are footing bill for a ****-up from Colin (the ShamWow Guy) Guin's company. Right now he's more interested in face time and hawking toy copters than coming over to a forum like this and answering some tough questions.

I've been involved in radio control since 1973, I started when I was 12 and have seen all kinds of stuff come and go, so I am pretty sure I'll still be whining a long time after pretty boy Guin has his a** turfed and we start to see some responsible behavior from companies like DJI. It wasn't him that had to talk to the folks that got their cars damaged by my octo running amok so a liitle attention from DJI is not a lot to ask for. They know full well that suing a Chinese company is next to impossible but when folks start looking more seriously at 3DR Robotics, HoverFly, ZeroUAV and other offerings, their tune will change.

Kloner, we are all on the same team it's just that when you've seen thousands of dollars and hours time go down the drain there will be complaining. And your insurance tip is a very good idea since they appear to cover folks in the States, we have some good companies popping up in Canada as well.

Javier

You have made me curious.
Looking forward to seeing iOSD results.

Ok, here's the graph that caught my attention the most from the iOSD. This is the graph of the Flight Mode or control_mode as it's refered to in the viewer. As you can see, at the very beginning, the mode was GPS (0). For some REALLY strange reason, it went to mode 1 (Waypoint mode) for a short period of time. Why would it? I don't even have waypoints or a ground station installed. Anyway, after that, and worst of all, it went to mode 2 for the rest of the flight. If you check the list of modes, there's NO mode 2! What the heck is mode 2? However, it flew normally for some time because the fly away didn't happen until later, after it had supposedly been in mode 2 for a while.

View attachment 15189

Attachments

• control-mode.jpg
    control-mode.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 287

Electro 2

Wouldn't it be great if you could see the radio inputs and compare them to the FC outputs to the system? For now, it's only a start...

The SuperX black box function does this, has saved me hours of head scratching trying to solve a certain "flight event".

jazzboy

@ Tahoe Ed
Not sure if the post about you working for DJI is true or not but you seem to be a good guy so please, if you have an affiliation with DJI please ask one of their chicken sh*t mouthpieces to respond here, namely Colin "ShamWow" Guin. If you do not have an affiliation, my apologies and please carry on and ignore the egregious post that was referred to. I am so sick of the MBA parasites ruining our world's economy and it's creeping into our domain. Time to call a Turnip a Turnip and take these wankers to task! Somewhere in China there is a brilliant team that is doing some amazing programming but they are rushed and products are being released that are nowhere near ready for the market place so why not fire the idiots ruining a good company, step back, ready the products and produce a rockin' product??? Sorry about the rant but my Greed-O-Meter just peaked!

Javier

@ Tahoe Ed
Not sure if the post about you working for DJI is true or not but you seem to be a good guy so please, if you have an affiliation with DJI please ask one of their chicken sh*t mouthpieces to respond here, namely Colin "ShamWow" Guin. If you do not have an affiliation, my apologies and please carry on and ignore the egregious post that was referred to. I am so sick of the MBA parasites ruining our world's economy and it's creeping into our domain. Time to call a Turnip a Turnip and take these wankers to task! Somewhere in China there is a brilliant team that is doing some amazing programming but they are rushed and products are being released that are nowhere near ready for the market place so why not fire the idiots ruining a good company, step back, ready the products and produce a rockin' product??? Sorry about the rant but my Greed-O-Meter just peaked!

jazzboy, what post are you refering to?

Javier

The SuperX black box function does this, has saved me hours of head scratching trying to solve a certain "flight event".

@Electro 2, how long have you had the SuperX? Have you used it on a heavy machine? 8+ Kg? I was reading the thread on it, and seems like a good option!

kloner

Aerial DP
i've watched $70k fly off the hook for no reason, you don't gotta tell me about how it feels. All we can do is protect ourselves financialy. In my case and logs, i could see me moving the sticks but the controller did nothing... it was a supposed ppm interpetation problem. sent all my stuff to dji, nothing, and that was with WK...... naza has had the same issue, all with futaba but all with immersion long range rx's using ppm

dunno, my wk flew amazing, the a2 is even better, i've been trying other stuff and i'm good here. Hoverfly pro threw my skyjib in the ocean, just powered off mid flight and rolled over...... had another hfp looked like it swapped x axis and just went 90 degrees and came down in a few seconds,,,,, all i did was turn on alt hold. They all can and will have a problem sooner or later.......I've been involved with rc since 81 and single rotor helis since 91..... i get it

I haved a superX here i'm building for a guy. it isn't the best heavy lifter controller.... theres no place to input the cg info to the controller so it behaves weird gimbaled. Also it needs the black box cause theres no live input feed to see as in if your sticks are setup proper or if the mode switches/gains are moving/adjusting right. It's like hoverfly, reverse ch 1-4 for this radio, leave normal for that radio, good luck

we are starting a relationship with APM. got some pixhawk coming soon to look at. i've seen so many problems arrise with apm 2.5 that my hopes aren't too high but it appears to be the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

jazzboy

jazzboy, what post are you refering to?

It was post #72

3 Weeks Ago #72

HighGainTuning
user-offline.png

Full Blown Hucker Join DateJan 2013Posts126

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Scott Drysdale

Very suspicious..... I get the impression you are operating undercover for another multirotor FC manufacturer..... or the DJI dealer you are referencing is in way over his head!!!

The definition for that is a Shill

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed

Scott let's not get paranoid here like they are doing over on RCG.

Ed... I don't know how this forum handles shills but members need to be aware that your compensated by DJI and Empire Hobby to post on all the forums you can in support of their product.
Anyone can search your posts and see that you never post an issue although you do post them to the DJI Team. I think it would be in the best interest of the forum and it's members to know when you post it is in the best interest of DJI

Shill: A shill is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization."Shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom they are secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using
crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns.

How do I know this? I was on Team DJI as is Ed and 3 others until they required that we keep all issues off the forum and not report anything negative. To me that is not tech support. That is a cover up and I will not be both a member and a shill for anyone. If anyone feels this information is false I have every e-mail that the Team copies us on. If you want to know who the other members are, just PM me.

Forums should be a place to come for honest information about a product. Not to be filled with false information from compensated members.

jazzboy

i've watched $70k fly off the hook for no reason, you don't gotta tell me about how it feels. All we can do is protect ourselves financialy. In my case and logs, i could see me moving the sticks but the controller did nothing... it was a supposed ppm interpetation problem. sent all my stuff to dji, nothing, and that was with WK...... naza has had the same issue, all with futaba but all with immersion long range rx's using ppm

dunno, my wk flew amazing, the a2 is even better, i've been trying other stuff and i'm good here. Hoverfly pro threw my skyjib in the ocean, just powered off mid flight and rolled over...... had another hfp looked like it swapped x axis and just went 90 degrees and came down in a few seconds,,,,, all i did was turn on alt hold. They all can and will have a problem sooner or later.......I've been involved with rc since 81 and single rotor helis since 91..... i get it

I haved a superX here i'm building for a guy. it isn't the best heavy lifter controller.... theres no place to input the cg info to the controller so it behaves weird gimbaled. Also it needs the black box cause theres no live input feed to see as in if your sticks are setup proper or if the mode switches/gains are moving/adjusting right. It's like hoverfly, reverse ch 1-4 for this radio, leave normal for that radio, good luck

we are starting a relationship with APM. got some pixhawk coming soon to look at. i've seen so many problems arrise with apm 2.5 that my hopes aren't too high but it appears to be the real deal.

Please keep us posted about the PixHawk. Tried a PX4 but the unit was not right (no crash, just odd behavior) but the nice folks at 3DR sent a free one to work, now that's good service and communication. Have hundreds of great flights on the MegaPirate port of Arducopter. I put the nib Naza V2 on my Tarot 680 and will try DJI one last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.