DJI A2 PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY (New firmware may change my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CG Photo

With the the reported hard landings in the auto land mode I am going to avoid the RTH and lower power landing features for now. I know on the Naza V2 it was easy to kick it out of the RTH function with a flip of the gps switch. I have tested it on the ground only, verifying that when I turn the radio off the DJI assistant switched to fail safe mode. I also have a switched configured for return to home. I have 8 flights so far and the only problem I have encounter is the POI bug. I thought the Naza V2 was stable but this is so much more stable in the air than that or the Wookong. When I let go of the sticks it holds a hover very well! I just did my first landing in GPS mode and it was light as a feather falling on the ground. Here is video from my flight with the POI problem. The craft started jumping forward and backward like I was mving the stick back and fourth full deflection. The second time it did it you can see one of the arms dipping down into the video. I was totally off of the right stick as I was flipping the IOC switch with that hand when it happened. You can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWQtWJmh3Y&feature=c4-overview&list=UUtsQBn8sezLXKHA2xYswdWQ

Javier

heres ours

accidents like this are never going to be covered by the manufacturer. If your serious about the game, get it insured......transport risk management, tell em kloner sent ya

kloner, I can't see how showing your octo flying for 36 seconds proves anything. Obviously, the problem doesn't happen all the time and with all installations, but there is something wrong under some circumstances. I'm absolutely sure it was not caused by negligence from my part, as the installation was done EXACTLY as shown in the DJI's manual, the hexa was flown for several times with no issues, and control was lost ONLY on the throttle channel and the mode switch. Besides, I have used the WKM for a while with absolutely no problems. However, other users have had problems with the WKM and even the Phantom also, and lots of problems with the S800. Finally, insuring the octo is not going to prevent an accident from happening or even prevent you from killing somebody with a heavy lifter... My intention, at this point, is just to warn other fliers about a possible accident similar to mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

soler

I think we need a poll to see who has had problems with the A2 and what configuration people are using. From what I have read most of the abnormal behaviour is coming from non Futaba setups.

I have the A2 problem free with a 8FG Super

Please post if you are using the A2, which Radio you are using and if you have or have not had flight stability issues.

kloner

Aerial DP
8fg super

I wasn't responding to anybodys problems, just showing that it handles weight great. love that controller

and my entire point is if your risking too much money to cover yourself and don't have insurance but are counting on you suing dji, get insurance, they get enough claims they'll handle the suing. You know, insurance is a business, they recoup how they have to and have so many more resources than you could ever posses as an indivdual

for the last year i've been flying for hire using dji products. been using it with immersion receivers via ppm, and yea, i've seen naza v1, naza v2 and wkm with the latest firmwares misbehave.....all in the last 6 months, so much so i switched over to fasst

cbpagent72

8fg super

I wasn't responding to anybodys problems, just showing that it handles weight great. love that controller

and my entire point is if your risking too much money to cover yourself and don't have insurance but are counting on you suing dji, get insurance, they get enough claims they'll handle the suing. You know, insurance is a business, they recoup how they have to and have so many more resources than you could ever posses as an indivdual

for the last year i've been flying for hire using dji products. been using it with immersion receivers via ppm, and yea, i've seen naza v1, naza v2 and wkm with the latest firmwares misbehave.....all in the last 6 months, so much so i switched over to fasst

Kloner,

What insurance company do you recommend?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jazzboy

8fg super

How can one insure UAVs in the USA since the activity of commercial aerial filming is not legal. Wouldn't the the insurance company simply bring up this point at the time of claim and simply say too bad? In Canada we have to commercially fly with an SFOC from Transport Canada to have any kind of insurance. No SFOC no insurance.

So, be careful, a company might take your money but renege at claim time. Hope you guys get that all sorted in 2015.

Javier

I think we need a poll to see who has had problems with the A2 and what configuration people are using. From what I have read most of the abnormal behaviour is coming from non Futaba setups.

I have the A2 problem free with a 8FG Super

Please post if you are using the A2, which Radio you are using and if you have or have not had flight stability issues.

soler, from the very beginning, and after analyzing what went wrong with mine, I have thought that it's a problem with DJI's implementation of the interface with the JR/Spektrum satellites. I think they rushed to put out that feature without really testing it. In my case, I'm using a Spektrum DX18.

Javier

8fg super

kloner, no one is trying to RELY on suing DJI in case of an accident, but I'd like to know how an insurance company is going to compensate someone's family for you killing somebody with your heavy lifter.

I wonder how long it will be before insurance companies start to (legally) go after UAV manufacturers to help cover their payouts. All insurance companies do this. They don't make their money off of the monthly premiums, they make it off of legal settlements.

The upside is we will finally get issues taken care of rather than untested product thrown on the market leaving us liable.
The down side is costs will go up for everything from the product to the insurance.

Javier

Like jazzboy says, flying UAVs is illegal under MANY situations in many countries (not just in the USA). I'm sure in case of a claim they will first investigate if any laws were violated before paying a cent. And, if you're flying over a populated area and hit somebody, that'll be a violation of the law. In any case, if you read other threads, either on this or other multirotor forums, you'll find tons of complaints with respect to faulty functioning of most of the DJI products, and they are NOT responding to customers. Therefore, it's up to us to stop buying products from companies that are not willing to assume any responsibility for their crappy products. Unfortunately also, if we have an accident due to a malfunctioning of the faulty equipment we were sold under false reliability claims, it's extremely difficult to prove.

DennyR

Like jazzboy says, flying UAVs is illegal under MANY situations in many countries (not just in the USA). I'm sure in case of a claim they will first investigate if any laws were violated before paying a cent. And, if you're flying over a populated area and hit somebody, that'll be a violation of the law. In any case, if you read other threads, either on this or other multirotor forums, you'll find tons of complaints with respect to faulty functioning of most of the DJI products, and they are NOT responding to customers. Therefore, it's up to us to stop buying products from companies that are not willing to assume any responsibility for their crappy products. Unfortunately also, if we have an accident due to a malfunctioning of the faulty equipment we were sold under false reliability claims, it's extremely difficult to prove.
From day one, they have tried to run before they could walk.

kloner

Aerial DP
In America we use a common law system and within that is something called setting precedent. luckily everybody's favorite fearless leader trappy came through here with backing and has proven the faa has nothing to stand on when it comes to the charge of "flying for hire".TRM is on the advisory boards, there all up in the USA uav/uas rule making advisories. if you got a rig and are worried about crashing, get this stuff..... full hull coverage and it's real. Support Transport Risk... i feel like there my biggest advocate in going forward with a voice and a mind with alot of thought for the good of the industry.

All insurance companies investigate crashes, bring forth suits to cover there losses and it forces the companies at fault to not be so negligent by the almighty dollar. they have resources no one person can bring to the table, across countries

Javier

In America we use a common law system and within that is something called setting precedent. luckily everybody's favorite fearless leader trappy came through here with backing and has proven the faa has nothing to stand on when it comes to the charge of "flying for hire".TRM is on the advisory boards, there all up in the USA uav/uas rule making advisories. if you got a rig and are worried about crashing, get this stuff..... full hull coverage and it's real. Support Transport Risk... i feel like there my biggest advocate in going forward with a voice and a mind with alot of thought for the good of the industry.

All insurance companies investigate crashes, bring forth suits to cover there losses and it forces the companies at fault to not be so negligent by the almighty dollar. they have resources no one person can bring to the table, across countries

Insurance companies are a "necessary evil", and an "after the fact" solution. Yes, if they respond as they should, they'll cover any damages you cause. However, I rather prevent crashing against something or someone, than paying them after damaging their property or killing someone (not with a Phantom, but with something like a 15+ Kg heavy lifter). Seems like kloner is just trying to promote that insurance company, and not admitting that DJI has a serious problem with many of its products and that they are not willing to respond responsibly to customers.

kloner

Aerial DP
i have no affiiation with dji, not trying to protect anything, simply stating facts. if you buy a car and it crashes from a problem, the insurance company covers you then goes after the responsible party,,,, it's how we do it here.

Javier

i have no affiiation with dji, not trying to protect anything, simply stating facts. if you buy a car and it crashes from a problem, the insurance company covers you then goes after the responsible party,,,, it's how we do it here.

Just one question to finish this non-sense: wouldn't you rather NOT crash and maybe kill someone because the car accelerated by itself, like a very well-known case in the US?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
A manufacturer that provides a total solution including RC radio system c/w FPV etc. is in a position to be responsible for the complete system and is also more likely to be held accountable in the even of an incident, e.g., Draganflyer.
A manufacturer that opens their business to a multitude of ESCs, FPV systems and RC radio systems loses control of the flying results and can only be held accountable for their specific components.
In such a situation it would be extremely difficult for investigators to determine the root cause of a safety incident since wrongly configured escs and/or RC radios system could be the root cause and not the Multirotor and/or FC.
Is it possible that DJI has made a move towards integrating their own RC system into two or more of their products in an effort to take control of some of these safety related issues?

ditto for the E-Flight Blade MQX etc. but safety not being the primary concern.

Javier

A manufacturer that provides a total solution including RC radio system c/w FPV etc. is in a position to be responsible for the complete system and is also more likely to be held accountable in the even of an incident, e.g., Draganflyer.
A manufacturer that opens their business to a multitude of ESCs, FPV systems and RC radio systems loses control of the flying results and can only be held accountable for their specific components.
In such a situation it would be extremely difficult for investigators to determine the root cause of a safety incident since wrongly configured escs and/or RC radios system could be the root cause and not the Multirotor and/or FC.
Is it possible that DJI has made a move towards integrating their own RC system into two or more of their products in an effort to take control of some of these safety related issues?

ditto for the E-Flight Blade MQX etc. but safety not being the primary concern.

gtranquilla, that's true, and proving that there was a problem with the equipment is not easy. Fortunately, I had the iOSD which saves a log of every flight. I have the iOSD log file which I sent to DJI, and of course, they haven't responded (and probably won't). However, tonight I'll go ahead and publish a graph from the iOSD that will show something very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.