DJI A2 PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY (New firmware may change my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Any one saying its any good?

Anyone having a really good experience with this paper weight?

Taking the two I bought off the two machines I just built and putting WKM's on

Dave

soler

Any one saying its any good?

Anyone having a really good experience with this paper weight?

Taking the two I bought off the two machines I just built and putting WKM's on

Dave

To be honest it's working well for me. Position hold is good, seams really fixed in position but a little twitchy in high wind but stays in place. No problems with the receiver transmitter connection as I am using a Futaba radio. No random fly aways like you have reported. It could be better by having a S.Bus port out so that you could use the full set of available channels so I still have a second reciever for the Z15

Flying with a S800 and Z15

Andy

jazzboy

My Naza 2 is doing the job so well the A2 that is still in its box due to zero waypoints might be going bye bye. Not sure yet as it's "mighty purdee"....but not much else.

Stacky

My Naza 2 is doing the job so well the A2 that is still in its box due to zero waypoints might be going bye bye. Not sure yet as it's "mighty purdee"....but not much else.

Just curious on the way points. Why do you want way points and what are you going to use them for?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
To be honest it's working well for me. Position hold is good, seams really fixed in position but a little twitchy in high wind but stays in place. No problems with the receiver transmitter connection as I am using a Futaba radio. No random fly aways like you have reported. It could be better by having a S.Bus port out so that you could use the full set of available channels so I still have a second reciever for the Z15

Flying with a S800 and Z15

Andy

Thanks Andy

I have TEN usable channels in the assistant. It just seems that with the Spektrum set up there is something not right. how many channels do you have with ther Futaba and which radio are you using?

The Gimbal control is totally shabba. I have a Radian on the roll but the tilt is just all over the place and the speed setting is a joke as it restricts the amount of tilt you can get NOT the speed!

Any one else getting anything usable?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

soler

I have the 8FGS Transmitter. So I have 12 channels plus 2 digital channels, I can assess all though the A2 (not sure about the digital channels) but there is only 4 outputs on it so not enough to control the zen, that is why I am using a second receiver for the zen linked to the same transmitter.

With the A2 I am using 8 channels. 7 internal channels which are throttle, elevator, ailerons, rudder, flight mode, IOC and one Pot for gains the external channel is for the landing gear (I could use the intelligent gear which will free up a channel but I need to test this). The zen uses the remaining 6 channels.

I have not tried the gimbal control yet but may give it a go to see if mine has the same problems as you mentioned.

Jumpy07

I am using A2 on my large Carboncore HEX.. got it hooked up to my Taranis 16 channel Sbus Rx, no issues so far.. compared to Naza its a lot less twitchy. One thing that is a pain is the canbus connectors.. very hard to make a tidy install with all the connectors..

jazzboy

I am using A2 on my large Carboncore HEX.. got it hooked up to my Taranis 16 channel Sbus Rx, no issues so far.. compared to Naza its a lot less twitchy. One thing that is a pain is the canbus connectors.. very hard to make a tidy install with all the connectors..

My Naza 2 with ver 4 firmware was flying like it was stapled to the sky, zero twitch. Don't see how the A2 could be any better.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I think Dave is a fair bit ahead of the the guys on the multi-rotor.co.uk Only one of the guys seems to have got in the air so far according to the thread in the link and he hasnt done extensive testing yet it seems. It would be good to hear if others are having similar problems.

Jumpy07

My Naza 2 with ver 4 firmware was flying like it was stapled to the sky, zero twitch. Don't see how the A2 could be any better.

Suppose quite a few variables at play...that said A2 has much better sensors than Naza.. and GPS is much more sensitive, I was always slow to get GPS lock on Naza.. A2 locks in seconds.. can only restate .. my A2 is a lot more locked in than the Naza on the same frame.. but early days for me.. my hex is 6kg and 950mm.. DJI don't recommend the Naza for frames larger than 650mm.. that said I know a lot of people that use them on large frames fine. Not knocking the Naza.. I have a few and they are great.. just comparing it against A2 on the same frame.

jazzboy

Suppose quite a few variables at play...that said A2 has much better sensors than Naza.. and GPS is much more sensitive, I was always slow to get GPS lock on Naza.. A2 locks in seconds.. can only restate .. my A2 is a lot more locked in than the Naza on the same frame.. but early days for me.. my hex is 6kg and 950mm.. DJI don't recommend the Naza for frames larger than 650mm.. that said I know a lot of people that use them on large frames fine. Not knocking the Naza.. I have a few and they are great.. just comparing it against A2 on the same frame.

All good news :) BTW my Naza 2 is on a large 1000mm octo, a cinestar clone from Famous Hobby.

Jumpy07

Heres mine on the CC H950 .. now flown quite a few lipos through it.. no issues so far.. using the S800 gains ..

uwv7.png

sw77.jpg

Mr. T

I use eight waypoints per floor. With the Naza 2 I can do two floors per mission. This is from a panorama shoot for a realestate client last week. Rightmost icon is for fullscreen. No waypoints=no job.

http://www.zemhtech.com/panoramas/BigSkyCam/CondoViews/Floor 15c.html

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy and Jumpy07, I am new to this all but would eventually like to use drones for commercial use. One of them was in realestate. Can I please ask a few questions about your experience and business? I live in US in the midwest. BTW Jumpy07, Very cool bird and setup.

-Terry

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Well

I have now removed the A2 from the new ADX and replaced it with a WKM and I now have my comfy slippers back!

Issues

GPS fly away as whitnessed by Speed Gonzalas and Eyball. On a shoot we a real nightmare from the start

Issue 1 Gimbal control

We had a whole load of mither getting the gimbal control to function for tilt. The gains are ridiculous with any adjustment other than 50% locking it up or reversing the action.
Speed control is useless all it seems to do is limit the movement of the tray and does not reduce the speed for TX contol of tilt. (this was an issue in the early days of the WKM)

Issue 2

Gimbal affecting gains
I tested and tested my A2 to death with a fixed weight to represent the camera and gimbal load. and got it pretty dialled. BUT then we attached the gimbal and it went in to shake down! There is a note in the assistant that "says if you experience shaking/vibration after you have set the manula control speed in the gimbal pain reset it to factory"! USELESS

Issue 3

GPS. This is the most scary one. I can fly her for 1 pack or ten and you never know when its going to take off to god knows where. After sorting out the shaking after the gimbal was fitted we resided ourselves that we would just not use any tilt in the shot which was bloody annoying. That said once we got the gains sorted with the gimbal on she flew nice. It was very windy with really strog juste and she held position nicley and the Radian/CX730 combo got some nice panning shots locked in GPS to the spot. I was getting more confident. We moved on to some other sets and even though the wind was horrific she managed to get some usable footage. Our last shoot of the day was some down hill bikers. flying in atti between the trees was as usual a bit nerve racking but we got the shots required. The light was amazing so I thought I woud just do a slow climb out of the forrst to reveal the mountains and the surrounding Forrest.. Flying in atti up through the trees I got to a point that revealed the most amazing scene, so flick to GPS and start my pan...... whoosh as soon as I flicked to GPS she was off at 32º somewhere! Flicking back in to atti stopped the dash for china and with shaking hands I brought here back down to a hover in front of us.. flicked to GPS adian of off she went.. this time a small christmas tree and a rapid flick back to atto brought here back under control.

So when I got home I ordered up a WKM and that is now what is on the machine and she is once again flying lovely.. and I have full telemetry.

I have another A2 machine sat here with a replacement WKM to go on it until the issues are sorted out.

Conclusion

Gimbal control 0/10
General flight characteristics in atti 9/10 great streight line flight and smoooooth as you like
GPS lock. to the spot. amazing accuracy BUT unpredictability with my unit makes it useless 0/10
TX interfacing. NO telemetry available unless using iosd (idont) so no temps, secondary GPS reporting, Voltages and altitude possible UNLESS you go for the subs adaptor (not available) so you can use a standard receiver that supports telemetry to your TX.

I am sure these issues will get sorted but for now unless my A2/GPS is faulty its useless.

I am going to persevere with the machine I still have an A2 on and its just waiting for the weather to clear up and I will go fly to see if it behaves better in GPS than the first one. If it does then I will send the first A2 back for testing by DJI... thats if they are bothered.

If you want a challenge go for it, if you want comfy slippers stick with the WKM until I can get mine flying nice and reliable

Dave

Big G

I'm o looooong time user of MK gear but I've been looking closely on the A2, but it seams like its a no go!
But I might try the WKM. I just wonder how you get the telemetry on the WKM?

G

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I'm o looooong time user of MK gear but I've been looking closely on the A2, but it seams like its a no go!

G

I use Spektrum for the telemetry.

Still have no A2 flying. Stick with WKM there are some right good deals out there at the moment.

Dave

hexacop

HexaCop

G

If you are looking for telemetry I can recommend Unilog2 or Unisens-E
Both are compatible with many telemetry systems of various brands, like Futaba, Graupner, Jeti, Multiplex,
Even the German shop is 'German' language only there are translations of the manuals available:
http://www.sm-modellbau.de/shop/shop_content.php?coID=100

I use Unisens-E in all my copters and have got one additional Unilog including temperature and 150A current sensor for test purposes and when I need to record all the telemetry data for later use.

If you need more information just let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.