Question about fail safe and signal loss

I currently have an F550 w/Naza and GPS using a DX6i Tx and AR6100-e Rx (the cheap one)

Because the DX6i doesn't have a 3-way switch, I had to use the gear switch to toggle between GPS and ATT and programmed the Mix 1 switch to activate the Fail Safe RTH

Here's a short RTH video I made a while back.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjgfGFPskM

Anyways, the system works fine as a switched fail safe, but in the event of a lost signal (or turning off the transmitter), it drops like a stone out of the sky as shown in this crash video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QC9so2so3Y

I've been told that I cannot program a proper signal loss fail safe using the cheap park flyer Rx, so I'm looking into upgrading to a better one.

That being said, can anyone confirm that with an upgraded Rx I'll be able to program a proper fail safe with my DX6i?

I'd hate to spend $80 bucks on a new Rx only to find out that the Tx won't do it regardless :black_eyed:

Do you have your throttle set to 50% in failsafe?

Do you mean my switched fail safe?

If so, I have it set to 50% as shown in this video (2:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BfkyXxuwgc

This works fine when using the Mix Switch for my Fail Safe/RTH, but does nothing for me in the event of a lost signal (or shutting off Tx)

I've been told that I can't program in a signal loss fail safe using my current park flyer Rx (not sure if there's any truth to this), but even if I upgrade to a high end Rx, will I still be able to program in a signal loss fail safe using my DX6i?

CdA D

Your failsafe is set when you do binding between your Thx & Rx. I don't' know what Rx your using, but you should use one of the Spektrum Rx. NOT a knock- off. Horizon Hobby has them, horizonhobby.com. You can email them and they can help you.

Your failsafe is set when you do binding between your Thx & Rx.

I don't think it was set when it was originally bound, but I've also been told that it cannot be done using the Rx that I'm using and that I would have to upgrade.

I don't' know what Rx your using, but you should use one of the Spektrum Rx. NOT a knock- off. Horizon Hobby has them, horizonhobby.com. You can email them and they can help you.

It's a real Spektrum Rx (AR6100-e), but it's the bottom of the barrel.

I just want to be sure that the DX6i is actually capable of doing this before I drop $80 bucks on a new Rx :eek:

I tried contacting Horizon about it while my Tx was there being serviced and they said they'd get back to me.....

still waiting :cold:

FlyGirl

I don't think it was set when it was originally bound, but I've also been told that it cannot be done using the Rx that I'm using and that I would have to upgrade.

It's a real Spektrum Rx (AR6100-e), but it's the bottom of the barrel.

I just want to be sure that the DX6i is actually capable of doing this before I drop $80 bucks on a new Rx :eek:

I tried contacting Horizon about it while my Tx was there being serviced and they said they'd get back to me.....

still waiting :cold:

Hi Snake! It doesn't matter what transmitter, only what receiver you are using. If it says "SmartSafe" it's not going to be able to tell the flight controller to enter failsafe mode as when you bind a receiver with "SmartSafe" it can only remember the position of the throttle channel whereas a receiver like the ar8000 remembers the position of ALL channels. The way it works is like this. When you bind the Tx and Rx together, the Rx checks the position of all the switches and sticks. Your Tx must have the switches in the proper position that would enable failsafe mode. When the two bind to each other, the Rx stores those positions into it's memory so that if the Rx ever loses signal from the Tx, it will send the stored switch positions to the flight controller and the flight controller will enter into failsafe mode just as if you had thrown the switch on the transmitter. Which Rx were you looking to buy?

Hi Snake! It doesn't matter what transmitter, only what receiver you are using. If it says "SmartSafe" it's not going to be able to tell the flight controller to enter failsafe mode as when you bind a receiver with "SmartSafe" it can only remember the position of the throttle channel whereas a receiver like the ar8000 remembers the position of ALL channels. The way it works is like this. When you bind the Tx and Rx together, the Rx checks the position of all the switches and sticks. Your Tx must have the switches in the proper position that would enable failsafe mode. When the two bind to each other, the Rx stores those positions into it's memory so that if the Rx ever loses signal from the Tx, it will send the stored switch positions to the flight controller and the flight controller will enter into failsafe mode just as if you had thrown the switch on the transmitter. Which Rx were you looking to buy?

Thanks for the info :)

I'm not really set on any particular Rx, just looking for one that will work as a proper fail safe and give me good range without worry of interference from power lines and such (which is what I believe happened in the crash video I posted above).

I'd like to keep the cost under $90 shipped if possible.

That being said, when I bind a new Rx, will I have to re-calibrate everything all over again? (stick controls, compass, etc.)

FlyGirl

Thanks for the info :)

I'm not really set on any particular Rx, just looking for one that will work as a proper fail safe and give me good range without worry of interference from power lines and such (which is what I believe happened in the crash video I posted above).

I'd like to keep the cost under $90 shipped if possible.

That being said, when I bind a new Rx, will I have to re-calibrate everything all over again? (stick controls, compass, etc.)

Nope! Nothing has been changed on the Tx so that will all stay the same... :) Just remember, if the Spektrum RX you are looking at says SmartSafe it won't set failsafe on the flight controller. I know the ar8000 works but it's like $139 I think...

CdA D

FlyGirl is correct. The one thing that I wonder about is why are you flying with a DX6i? You should be using at least a DX8. I suppose if it is working for you then what the ……

FlyGirl is correct. The one thing that I wonder about is why are you flying with a DX6i? You should be using at least a DX8. I suppose if it is working for you then what the ……

Apart from the throttle pot issue, I really haven't had the need for anything else :fat:

I'm not running any extra accessories that require more channels and the range is already more than I can ask for :cool:

If swapping out the Rx is what it takes to gain a proper fail safe, then it's probably all I'll ever need :tennis:

I'm not one to fiddle around with settings and whatnot :cold:

I like to set it and forget it :nevreness:

I'm old school when it comes to radio gear and the DX6i is probably the most advanced piece I've ever owned :shame:

My last 6 channel was a Tower Hobbies System 500 Gold Series lol

radio-controle-tower-hobbies-system-500-6-canais-_MLB-O-74622497_289.jpg

I used that POS on everything from boats and cars to planes and helis, then finally ended up selling it to some schmo on Craigslist a few years back :black_eyed:

CdA D

I'm kind of new to the RC world and I hear that this system is better than that system and so on. I like the set-up I use and it works for me, at this time. I think you are going to have to step out and change to a higher grade Rx. Just a heads up, RTH is different that Failsafe set on the Auto-Pilot. Hope this works out for you.

Tahoe Ed

Your Rx does not support preset failsafe. You need to upgrade to one that does. That way if you loose Tx signal it will come back to you rather than flying away or just hovering until it lands.

Just a heads up, RTH is different that Failsafe set on the Auto-Pilot. Hope this works out for you.

Could you please explain this?

I have my Mix 1 switch set to Fail Safe and "Enhanced Fail Safe Method" set to Go-Home and Landing.

On the bench without props, I did the Naza dance, got the constant green for GPS and after I got the motors spinning with about 10% throttle, I switched on the Mix 1 switch and the Naza immediately started flashing orange and the motors spun up to a higher RPM

I haven't tested it with the props on yet, but I assume it should work the way it did when I originally got it and return to home (see video)

Your Rx does not support preset failsafe. You need to upgrade to one that does. That way if you loose Tx signal it will come back to you rather than flying away or just hovering until it lands.

Yes, my plan is to upgrade the Rx only as long as that's all I need for a proper "signal loss" fail safe and FlyGirl pretty much confirmed that's all i need :cool:

Now I just have to get a list of the Rx's that meet that criteria (the ones without smart safe I guess)

FlyGirl

Could you please explain this?

I have my Mix 1 switch set to Fail Safe and "Enhanced Fail Safe Method" set to Go-Home and Landing.

On the bench without props, I did the Naza dance, got the constant green for GPS and after I got the motors spinning with about 10% throttle, I switched on the Mix 1 switch and the Naza immediately started flashing orange and the motors spun up to a higher RPM

I haven't tested it with the props on yet, but I assume it should work the way it did when I originally got it and return to home (see video)

What he is trying to say Snake is that just flipping the switch to RTH is not really setting Failsafe. Failsafe is a function of the receiver. When it loses signal it sends the stored switch positions to the flight controller and if Failsafe was set up correctly then it commands the flight controller to enter RTH mode. Many people get confused by thinking that you set Failsafe in the flight controller but you don't. It's set in the receiver, that's all. Sounds like you have it all set up properly on the transmitter. All you need now is a receiver that can do a true Failsafe. :)

Can you pop for the ar8000? It's a really good receiver, or I think so....

What he is trying to say Snake is that just flipping the switch to RTH is not really setting Failsafe. Failsafe is a function of the receiver. When it loses signal it sends the stored switch positions to the flight controller and if Failsafe was set up correctly then it commands the flight controller to enter RTH mode. Many people get confused by thinking that you set Failsafe in the flight controller but you don't. It's set in the receiver, that's all. Sounds like you have it all set up properly on the transmitter. All you need now is a receiver that can do a true Failsafe. :)

ahh, ok :cool:

Can you pop for the ar8000? It's a really good receiver, or I think so....

Is there a cheaper alternative? (yes, I'm a cheapskate)

That's a lot of coin for an Rx :eek:

Especially compared to my $12 buck AR6100 lol

Headed over to my LHS right now to pick up some replacement LED strips and see what Rx options they have

Tahoe Ed

Just an FYI, how much would it cost you if you lost your quad? Compare that to the cost of a Rx that supports preset failsafe. Your choice.

Just an FYI, how much would it cost you if you lost your quad? Compare that to the cost of a Rx that supports preset failsafe. Your choice.

I already said I plan on upgrading the Rx, but is the AR8000 my only option?

Just got back from my LHS and the guy in the heli/quad section couldn't advise on any of them cause he's not familiar with how the Naza fail safes work :cold:

Tahoe Ed

No I have several of the AR71xx series with satellites that support preset failsafe and they are not that expensive.