Aeronavics / Droidworx SkyJib Retractable Landing Gear not Locking

cbpagent72

My SkyJib's retractable landing gear is not locking out when put the landing gear in the locked position. It looks like it is locked out but the legs collapse under the weight of the craft. Any ideas? I am new to the Droidworx world and the instructions are really not that great on the Droidworx website.

Quinton

Ok had a little play with mine tonight for the first time.
Im using the Futaba T14SG (think the same as you?)

The manual is pretty dire to say the least..
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://droidworx.co.nz/assets/Retractable-Landing-Gear-Setup1.pdf

"Zero the retracts twice at zero" then turn off signal..what exactly does that mean.

I'm not sure if I am doing it right, but things seem to be working OK.
Hopefully someone who has been through this before can chime in and help.

I put the servo lead into the receiver at 8/SB (seems to be mapped to X2)
On the transmitter I went to channel 8 and added a gear and set "SF" as my 2 way switch.
Made sure they were both set to 100/100 .

Tightened the servo horn right up.
Turned power on, and flicked the switch twice, and it armed up.(went from solid blue to quick flashing blue) flicked the switch and the legs retracted..started to to blink really fast when coming to the end of the servo, then started to blink slow when gear was up.

The switch seemed to be back to front, so I went in and reversed it to..when it was off legs were down, and 1 = legs up
Tried it quite a few times, and all seemed well.
No idea how you would know if the servo is over running, but the lights are flashing properly, and there is no noise coming from the servo when fully up/down.

Went into my failsafe for channel 8, and turned it on and set it to +100%, turned the transmitter off, and the legs fully retracted down.
Need to be careful though as soon as I turned the transmitter back on and the switch was 1 the legs retracted and went up.

Never set anything like this up before, so if I am doing anything wrong hopefully someone that know better can chime in.

It looks and sounds OK at least.

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

cbpagent72

Your sounds like it is good, at least your SkyJib isn't collapsing under it's own weight. I went back last night and re-adjusted mine and I am no longer having the legs try and collapse while supporting the SkyJib weight. I do not hear servo noise when it is fully retracted or closed. I notice that it opens smooth but when it closes it just kind of comes down quick and clunky. I know the EVO landing gear closes automatically upon receiver failure or pushing the fail safe button. How would I program something like that?

Quinton

Your sounds like it is good, at least your SkyJib isn't collapsing under it's own weight. I went back last night and re-adjusted mine and I am no longer having the legs try and collapse while supporting the SkyJib weight. I do not hear servo noise when it is fully retracted or closed. I notice that it opens smooth but when it closes it just kind of comes down quick and clunky. I know the EVO landing gear closes automatically upon receiver failure or pushing the fail safe button. How would I program something like that?

Ok mine is not clunky at all, it is very smooth going up and down.
Seen an EVO video today with the A2 and it seems that when you are 10 m away, it automatically sends your legs up and vica versa.
Im not 100% about the failsafe yet, as I fully havent set it up with the Wookong before, I am sort of stopped at the moment until the QR stuff arrives, as I have to break everything down.
Just watch those 2 videos I sent you last time, you just need to turn the failsafes on in the transmitter, just by going into your channel, and setting f/s on and then when legs are fully down hold down "return" for a couple of seconds, or just set it manually to +100

A lot of this I am guessing though, as there are not many videos or tutorials out there, so its play about until it works for me.

crcr

you just need to turn the failsafes on in the transmitter, just by going into your channel, and setting f/s on and then when legs are fully down hold down "return" for a couple of seconds, or just set it manually to +100

A lot of this I am guessing though, as there are not many videos or tutorials out there, so its play about until it works for me.

Thats correct. Once you have turned on the f/s for the retracts channel, make sure you scroll across to POS, then hold down "return" for a second. As Quinton says... just make sure the legs are in the down position before holding down the return.

You can test all this by bench testing. Put the retracts up, then turn off your radio.

Craig

Quinton

Ok something new just learned from a great post in the DJI forum from econfly regarding having all 14 channels available.
My receiver was actually set up in mode A which is why it worked having the landing gear plugged into channel 8. but that took up X2 in the Wookong assistant.
I needed to set the Receiver to mode D

To do that you need to hold the LINK/MODE button in on your receiver while turning it on until it flashed red/green then release, then it will flash red 1 time.
If you press the link button again it will change into B mode flash twice, do it again, then again until you get into mode D 4 red flashes.
This allows you to plug the landing gear servo cable into 1 or even 2, 3 etc
1 Being channel 9 on your transmitter.
Just go into your transmitter select GEAR and SF for channel 9 and Bobs your Uncle :)
Now S-BUS gives you 1-8 and you have 1-6 free for your channels 9-14 (1=9)

Page 25 of the Manual

So Wookong PMU into X1 Receiver into X2 plugging into horizontal S-BUS and landing gear into channel 1(9) in the vertical ports.

Actually if you set your landing gear to "LS" or "RS" then it would probably be safer, as then you can use your slider around the back to make the landing gear go up/down, instead of having to accidentally worry about flicking a switch.

kloner

Aerial DP
The servos for these are like $15, get a few, if there clunky eventually the servo will start over amping the system and if it's plugged straight into wookong can cause problems......

Quinton

The servos for these are like $15, get a few, if there clunky eventually the servo will start over amping the system and if it's plugged straight into wookong can cause problems......

Its the Spektrum A7000 Analog Retract Aircraft Servo which you can get here in the UK for £17 (approx $28) which is plugged into the receiver.

cbpagent72

Good to know, I was thinking about replacing the servo that my retractable landing gear came with. I was looking at a full metal servo.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

cbpagent72

Ok something new just learned from a great post in the DJI forum from econfly regarding having all 14 channels available.
My receiver was actually set up in mode A which is why it worked having the landing gear plugged into channel 8. but that took up X2 in the Wookong assistant.
I needed to set the Receiver to mode D

To do that you need to hold the LINK/MODE button in on your receiver while turning it on until it flashed red/green then release, then it will flash red 1 time.
If you press the link button again it will change into B mode flash twice, do it again, then again until you get into mode D 4 red flashes.
This allows you to plug the landing gear servo cable into 1 or even 2, 3 etc
1 Being channel 9 on your transmitter.
Just go into your transmitter select GEAR and SF for channel 9 and Bobs your Uncle :)
Now S-BUS gives you 1-8 and you have 1-6 free for your channels 9-14 (1=9)

Page 25 of the Manual

So Wookong PMU into X1 Receiver into X2 plugging into horizontal S-BUS and landing gear into channel 1(9) in the vertical ports.

Actually if you set your landing gear to "LS" or "RS" then it would probably be safer, as then you can use your slider around the back to make the landing gear go up/down, instead of having to accidentally worry about flicking a switch.

Have you actually got this to work? I tried it tonight and it is not working for me and page 25 in the 14SG manual states the following:

The T14SG has the ability to link to two R7008SB receivers. One receiver outputting channels 1-8 and the other outputting channels 9-14 giving you 14 PWM channels. Instructions for this configuration and S.BUS operation follow.

Quinton

Have you actually got this to work? I tried it tonight and it is not working for me and page 25 in the 14SG manual states the following:

The T14SG has the ability to link to two R7008SB receivers. One receiver outputting channels 1-8 and the other outputting channels 9-14 giving you 14 PWM channels. Instructions for this configuration and S.BUS operation follow.

Yes but I think thats just saying that you can "also" have that setup.
Are you definitely in mode D as it will only work when your in Mode D

I can put my retracts servo cable in 1, 2 3... and program the transmitter for channel 9, 10, 11 etc and it works fine.

"To do that you need to hold the LINK/MODE button in on your receiver while turning it on until it flashed red/green then release, then it will flash red 1 time.
If you press the link button again it will change into B mode flash twice, do it again, then again until you get into mode D 4 red flashes."

cbpagent72

Thanks for the instruction Quinton, I just couldn't get it to work. I couldn't find anything else online about getting sbus channels 1-8 and channels 9-13 to work off of one receiver. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and get another R7008SB and link it for the extra channels.

Quinton

Thanks for the instruction Quinton, I just couldn't get it to work. I couldn't find anything else online about getting sbus channels 1-8 and channels 9-13 to work off of one receiver. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and get another R7008SB and link it for the extra channels.
I wouldn't give up so easy as it "should" work, and theres nothing better than those YES moments when it does.
Can help you on skype if you like.
What flashes are you seeing on your receiver when you press the link/mode button?
Normally you just see 4 red flashes, after you release but that doesn't tell you much and doesnt tell you what mode your in.
You need to get someone to help you plug your lipo in while you hold the button in, then when it starts flashing green/red then let it go, that is where you should see a continuous blinking Light "one time" which shows your in mode A
push it once again, should give you 2 "continuous" blinking lights..means your in mode B keep pushing it in once until you get to 4 continuous blinking lights.
Means you are in Mode D which you want.

cbpagent72

Quinton, Your the man!!! I finally got it to work. I can't explain why it wouldn't work before but I now have everything working. I am pretty stoked at how awesome this receiver is. Thank you for your help with this. I had it in Mode D each time but I cycled through the modes again and when I got back to mode D again and re paired my TX and RX it worked like a charm.

cbpagent72

I agree that yes moment it's pretty awesome. I do have a bigger issue now. Remember me stating that my landing gear would close rough like it was skipping gears. Now my landing gear will not even retract, it is just making a sound like gears slipping. I emailed Droidworx and am waiting on a response. If the servo is bad already after just testing out the retracts I will be stunned, with the retractable landing gear costing $1500.00 alone I assume it has a high quality servo. Hopefully there is an adjustment that will fix my issue or they cover the servo (month old) under warranty.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Quinton

I emailed DW directly last week regarding them releasing the Quick Release gear the same time I bought the 6 Ti, to see if I can get a large discount on the QR stuff, as I obviously would have bought that instead.
Haven't heard a thing yet, I heard that DW have good customer service, but so far I have not experienced it.
Their manual for the retracts is not the greatest, I didn't really understand it too well, but it seems to be working well, time will tell.

cbpagent72

Thanks for that info kloner. I don't recall hearing any clicking but all of the symptoms point to a stripped servo. I would hate to spend money on another crap quality servo. Do you have any suggestions on what would be a good servo to replace it with?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

kloner

Aerial DP
i bought 4 of them servos when mine stripped from mishandling it...... i got these gear on 2 rigs and 6 months later there is still 3 new servos in the box. once you get it working and don't screw up, it seems these servos are plenty.