The best video monitor for FPV with my S800?

Hi all,

I bought a video monitor for my FPV system, but the quality is crap, it is very hard to see it if there is any bit of sunlight at all.
I've put black cardboard shutters around it but it is still not great.

I saw a video of some guy who had made up a harness to hold his transmitter and monitor, it looked quite sensible, he never lost sight of his picture.
Has anyone got a good way to make up one of these?

Thanks,
Louis

ddikie

The signal thats sent is only VGA so it wont be super great anyway, I have used a HD monitor that I use as a second monitor for my DSLR video work and that was quite sharp but that was with a 600 MW fatshark TX & the duo receiver setup with a patch antenna & CP antenna and had very good results, but I put the receiver unit mounted onto a lighting stand so was 3m in the air, and then used a super clamp to mount the Screen which was good cos you could move it any way you wanted to combat the sun..but still had a shade on it..got crystal clear video up to 1.5k - 2k distances.

The duo antena has 2 video outs so if it was super sunny I had the option for goggles as well..

Working on Ground station V2 at the moment with it all in a peli case / and DJI TX / RX for the S800 Evo but that is a work in progress...its a twin monitor setup FPV from Flight cam & second screen for Zenmuse/ NEX7 output..

Will try and post some pics..

HAve you heard back from Aerial Media Pros re spares for the S800 Evo yet?

kloner

Aerial DP
if the monitor isn't viewable, is it glossy? have a shade hood? have you changed contrast?

the good ones i've seen are readymaderc and foxtech brands..... made for fpv. i use the 8" from foxtech, the down arrow on the front cycles through the 5 contrast levels, use that every day i fly.... beats navigating into a menu and changing it and all mentioned above come flat non glare and hoods

if yours is glossy, did you leave the plastic protector on it? is it matte underneath? that's just for shipping, not using

kloner

Aerial DP
i'd be careful about what ya buy, alot of them high end monitors blue screen at the slightest loss of signal and can make for some frustrating long nights till you realize you just spent too much and didn't get one designed for fpv. if you got a terradeck then never mind

DennyR

I have a high end Swit monitor that is ok if the signal is good but it's not dedicated to the bandwidth and will drop out at any time. I found this all in one from Foxtech is much better and it can record video as well plus it has a built in Rx. I use a RC832 instead of the built in one as I can then watch all 32 channels on 5.8. [video]http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-m70058dvr-7-monitor-p-1169.html[/video] You can also get one with a diversity Rx. that has 32 channels.

I like to see what others are shooting so it's good to have the capability to see what is out there. you can add 2.4, 900, 1.2/1.3 Rx's as well to the aerial stack with switchable power. Yagi's and circular polerized etc.etc. A set of Fatsharks is also useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
Yuri fought a liliput for 6 months. he'd get 50' of range, monitor would go blue...... later he bought a non blue scren type and kicked himself in the butt. he'd returned a couple different sets of fpv transmitters/receivers through out the mission

deluge2

Many higher end LCD monitors primarily used for conventional hookups automatically display a blue screen (perhaps with text saying "No Signal") when the electronics recieve a weak input signal. For FPV use, receivers routintely encounter periods of poor signal to noise ratio inputs and therefore at times send noisy signals to the monitor. Highend monitors show blue screens when receiving marginal input quality, while 'FPV-specific' monitors simply show the marginal (fuzzy, snowy) images. So video images from FPV monitors degrade gracefully as signal quality decreses, rather than just cutting out video display when a low quality display threshold is exceeded. Like squelch for radio, in the FPV case we'd rather have some image, even if it's not pretty.

I doubt the affordable 'FPV-specific' monitors are any such thing in reality. They are just mass-produced LCD screens that happen to be setup to display images with marginal incoming signals. Find those models and apply a 'For FPV' sticker and off you go.

Steve

what makes a monitor be a monitor designed for FPV?

Bowley

For a half descent monitor try feelworld, has a bright screen and will not bluescreen, its marketed as a FPV monitor and is pretty inexpensive.

kloner

Aerial DP
well said

Many higher end LCD monitors primarily used for conventional hookups automatically display a blue screen (perhaps with text saying "No Signal") when the electronics recieve a weak input signal. For FPV use, receivers routintely encounter periods of poor signal to noise ratio inputs and therefore at times send noisy signals to the monitor. Highend monitors show blue screens when receiving marginal input quality, while 'FPV-specific' monitors simply show the marginal (fuzzy, snowy) images. So video images from FPV monitors degrade gracefully as signal quality decreses, rather than just cutting out video display when a low quality display threshold is exceeded. Like squelch for radio, in the FPV case we'd rather have some image, even if it's not pretty.

I doubt the affordable 'FPV-specific' monitors are any such thing in reality. They are just mass-produced LCD screens that happen to be setup to display images with marginal incoming signals. Find those models and apply a 'For FPV' sticker and off you go.

Steve

The signal thats sent is only VGA so it wont be super great anyway, I have used a HD monitor that I use as a second monitor for my DSLR video work and that was quite sharp but that was with a 600 MW fatshark TX & the duo receiver setup with a patch antenna & CP antenna and had very good results, but I put the receiver unit mounted onto a lighting stand so was 3m in the air, and then used a super clamp to mount the Screen which was good cos you could move it any way you wanted to combat the sun..but still had a shade on it..got crystal clear video up to 1.5k - 2k distances.

The duo antena has 2 video outs so if it was super sunny I had the option for goggles as well..

Working on Ground station V2 at the moment with it all in a peli case / and DJI TX / RX for the S800 Evo but that is a work in progress...its a twin monitor setup FPV from Flight cam & second screen for Zenmuse/ NEX7 output..

Will try and post some pics..

HAve you heard back from Aerial Media Pros re spares for the S800 Evo yet?

Here are some places where I managed to get spares for the S800 EVO.
I am still looking for somewhere to get spare ESCs and motors.. any ideas?
Did you rebuild your first EVO?

www.stockrc.com

Folding Propellers
Spring S8033701

www.aerodron.ch
[h=3]S800 Retracts H Frame
S800 Spring[/h]S800 legs (not for EVO, but they should work)

www.studiosport.fr

Frame Side Damper

www.radiocontrolledshop.ie
4 X EVO Arms

I had a slight accident with my S800 EVO (my own stupidity, I won't go into it), but I had to replace three arms.
With the EVO arms/ESC/motors, you need to un-solder the motor from the ESC, and the ESC from the arm.
I replaced all three and when I power up, I get the tones, but the LED (red one) underneath the arm flashes intermittently. I think I may have damaged the ESC with the soldering process, by heating it too much (the original soldering on the board is very hard and heat resistant).
Any ideas about checking the ESC's on an S800 EVO?
Many thanks,
Louis

CrashMaster

An LED monitor would be a lot better than LCD... My Lenovo has an LED monitor on it and can be read in sunlight. Has anyone seen an LED monitor 7 or 8 ins that may do the job?