Hoverfly Big Boy Setup Questions

Aerovideo

Hey Guys,

I figured this forum probably has the highest concentration of pros around that have experience.

I recently had an opportunity to work on a commercial shoot with my Hoverfly Pro based Spidex/Brushless gimbal quad. My quad setup has a separate FPV cam from the HD cam. The shots required me to fly via FPV and I have a downlink for that. However, one of the shots the director wanted tilt control of the HD camera (GoPro 3BE). But I didn't have a downlink for that so we had to guess on the tilt control based on my FPV cam.

You guys with the 2 man setups, do you have 2 video downlinks? Video switch? Only fly LOS and let the camera operator have the downlink?

I was able to get some good video but I could see how a downlink from the HD cam would be helpful. Just wondering the best way to go from here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I figured this forum probably has the highest concentration of pros around that have experience.

I recently had an opportunity to work on a commercial shoot with my Hoverfly Pro based Spidex/Brushless gimbal quad. My quad setup has a separate FPV cam from the HD cam. The shots required me to fly via FPV and I have a downlink for that. However, one of the shots the director wanted tilt control of the HD camera (GoPro 3BE). But I didn't have a downlink for that so we had to guess on the tilt control based on my FPV cam.

You guys with the 2 man setups, do you have 2 video downlinks? Video switch? Only fly LOS and let the camera operator have the downlink?

I was able to get some good video but I could see how a downlink from the HD cam would be helpful. Just wondering the best way to go from here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
On my S800 setup, i am currently setting up the pilot's downlink is setup to switch between the FPV camera, and the HD camera; but the camera operators downlink is fixed to the HD camera. For me, the HD camera necessitates the downlink because of the framing requirements for the video. The pilot downlink is optional for me because I fly LOS.

Aerovideo

Thanks ProPilotWannaBe, so what frequencies do you use for 2 downlinks? Or are you saying because you fly mostly LOS you only have one?

I was wondering if 2 5.8GHz Vtx on different channels would work or would it be better to have one 5.8 and one 2.4 or something else?

Thanks ProPilotWannaBe, so what frequencies do you use for 2 downlinks? Or are you saying because you fly mostly LOS you only have one?
Two downlinks, with only the pilot's VTx setup for switching (thru the OSD). So up til now I fly by LOS with the occasional look down to my screen to the HD camera, but throws me off a little when the camera guy is not pointing forward. Hence why I'm adding the Fpv camera. I don't plan to ever fly entirely by FPV on my S800, but having that fixed view sure would help in some cases.

I was wondering if 2 5.8GHz Vtx on different channels would work or would it be better to have one 5.8 and one 2.4 or something else?
They are both DJI 5.8 VTx, and I know several others that do dual 5.8. Honestly, I hadn't thought about going with two diff frequencies. So, yeah, same freqs but diff channels definitely works, but I can't tell you if one setup would be better than the other since I haven't seen the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
we fly 2 complete video setups all long range gear. 433 on the rc controller and the gimbal running at two different frequencies and there hopping. the video is 2.4 for the pilot and 5.8 for the gimbal

even when i can easily fly LOS i'll go straight to my monitor. its my happy place. the camera man usually complains about his signal on 5.8 about a mile out, i can easily hit 5 if theres enough battery to get me there and back

don't run 2.4 video with 2.4 rc.... it'll crash ya

kloner

Aerial DP
yes except most people use 1.2 and 5.8 with the 2.4..... i've had some mixed results flying two 5.8

FerdinandK

Dual 5,8Ghz video setup, different channels and different polarization (LHCP RHCP)

Range with 100mW is about 2km (on both channels) with 8turn tracked helix on the ground. RC is dual 2,4Ghz

best regards
Ferdinand

Last edited by a moderator:

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Either LOS with one down-link going to the camera op or two down-links if FPV is required. We basically don't go out on shoots without two ops, regardless of the situation. It's always nice to have a second person around to help out with setup, crowd control etc.

Aerovideo

Great ideas guys, thanks for the input.

I currently fly with EZUHF for the RC control and 5.8GHz for the pilot downlink. I've tried 1.2 and have been out a mile with it but I've found most of my flying is within that range if not a lot closer.

I agree 2.4 for RC and video will end in disaster!

I've not yet tried 2 5.8 VTx's on different channels.

Aerovideo

Dual 5,8Ghz video setup, different channels and different polarization (LHCP RHCP)

Range with 100mW is about 2km (on both channels) with 8turn tracked helix on the ground. RC is dual 2,4Ghz

best regards
Ferdinand

Ferdinand's idea of using two channels AND different polarization directions is smart.

jeffparisse.com

Where would one find some LHCP antennas for 5.8 gear? All I can find are RHCP antennas :(

If you have to make them, I'm out... hehe

FerdinandK

pm´ed you a potential source.

Basically most of "guru"-build antennas are better than manufactured ones, so you have to find a "guru", that does both or two gurus (one for LHCP, one for RHCP).

best regards
Ferdinand

workshop

Very cool! I reason that you have reduced the element diameter as far as you can and that the diameter you used is for structural strength of the part. How are you attaching leads? I imagine soldering to stainless steel is not an option.

Nice work!

Krzysiek

First antenna I made and tested was RH. The diameter of that antenna is 2mm.

The LH antenna has been designed with 1.5mm (the maximum wall tickness is 1.5mm for stainless steel >> https://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel ). I have not printed that antennas yet.

I soldered the hot wire to the antenna by solder I bought in "LIDL" :) (german supermarket). It works for now.

For your information, it is very hard material I could not drill the bigger hole in the antenna (I was trying to use a few drill bits for metal), so I had to change the diameter in CAD file and print it again...

Aerovideo

Okay, I finally have my 2 man setup up and running. It's a toy compared to real big-boy setups but it does have a 3 axis go pro brushless gimbal hooked up to a spectrum receiver and a 5.8GHz Vtx.

So I'm running channel 1 on my FPV 5.8GHz VTx and channel 7 on my GoPro VTx and it worked well for my backyard tests. Open field tests tomorrow :)

I guess I'm finally ready for Left hand polarized 5.8GHz antennas. Right now I'm running Spironet antennas on both transmitters.