S800 clean build tips and info

boranup

Hey Louis I have seen people use 2 tx at the same time - they had it set up on a tray and shoulder strap. Their workflow was to get to where they wanted to make the shot on the main controller - go into GPS lock then control the camera with the second controller. A bit tedious I know but if would be a shame to control pan and tilt from something other than the sticks?

Otherwise its mode D to free up your other channels on traditional (+1 for the landing legs) - On my GH2 setup I actually only use 5 channels - no need for HDMI switching or roll adjustment.

Cheers
Lance

Hey Louis I have seen people use 2 tx at the same time - they had it set up on a tray and shoulder strap. Their workflow was to get to where they wanted to make the shot on the main controller - go into GPS lock then control the camera with the second controller. A bit tedious I know but if would be a shame to control pan and tilt from something other than the sticks?

Otherwise its mode D to free up your other channels on traditional (+1 for the landing legs) - On my GH2 setup I actually only use 5 channels - no need for HDMI switching or roll adjustment.

Cheers
Lance

You know Lance, what you say makes a lot of sense, it would make the installation a lot more logical.
For all that I want to do with the Zenmuse I just don't have enough channels with the 1-tx setup.

Anyway I used to work as a video cameraman for WIN4 TV in Wollongong years ago, so this should be a doodle!

So you're in sunny Australia, Chris the Viper is in sunny SA and I am stuck in rainy France! :-(

Hey Lance, two questions for you (or Chris, if he reads this)..

What ATTI gains are you using? If I give my S800 some sideways stick in Atti mode, then take the stick off, it keeps going in that direction until I correct it. I guess that's just the momentum and weight of it - GPS mode is much steadier..

When you are working on your machine for a good period of time on the bench, for safety, do you plug in the USB to the MC and connect to a laptop, to disable the motors?

Cheers,
Louis

Tahoe Ed

With the A2 you have 16 channels to play with. The limiting factor is your Tx. I am using a 8FGS and have 12 so I can map stuff to my Zen to control mode, tilt, record/shutter, and pan. That is all I need.

ChrisViperM

Hey Lance, two questions for you (or Chris, if he reads this)..

What ATTI gains are you using? If I give my S800 some sideways stick in Atti mode, then take the stick off, it keeps going in that direction until I correct it. I guess that's just the momentum and weight of it - GPS mode is much steadier..

The gains are always different from copter to copter, but remember: ATTI mode is just holding your rig in a certain height while you are flying...so it's just normal that it drifts away (due to momentum or wind) if it doesn't get any stick input. As long as it doesn't loose or gain height, it's ok. GPS will hold the altitude AND keeps it on spot.

When you are working on your machine for a good period of time on the bench, for safety, do you plug in the USB to the MC and connect to a laptop, to disable the motors?

ALWAYS take the props off when working on the rig and power is connected....anything else might lead to this:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...in-to-take-the-props-off-!&highlight=stitches

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?9917-I-got-bit-badly&highlight=injury

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...wrong-with-my-DJI-450-Naza&highlight=stitches

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

soler

With the A2 you have 16 channels to play with. The limiting factor is your Tx. I am using a 8FGS and have 12 so I can map stuff to my Zen to control mode, tilt, record/shutter, and pan. That is all I need.

There are also 2 digital channels that I used with the 8FG, These I use for the camera shutter and Forward /Down

ok, well with my Zenmuse/Sony NEX7 there are 7 channels used, not sure if I need them all.. also have to think about a channel for the retracts and a channel to switch the iOSD video source with overlay..

I think I will use 2 TXs, like Boranup suggests, I think the overall experience and funtionality will be better..

The gains are always different from copter to copter, but remember: ATTI mode is just holding your rig in a certain height while you are flying...so it's just normal that it drifts away (due to momentum or wind) if it doesn't get any stick input. As long as it doesn't loose or gain height, it's ok. GPS will hold the altitude AND keeps it on spot.

ALWAYS take the props off when working on the rig and power is connected....anything else might lead to this:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4258-It-just-bit-me-%29-Learned-again-to-take-the-props-off-!&highlight=stitches

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?9917-I-got-bit-badly&highlight=injury

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...wrong-with-my-DJI-450-Naza&highlight=stitches

Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply. Those links are scary!

Ok, but here's the thing - for example, at the moment I'm setting up the Zenmuse, so I want to have everything powered up. Or if I want to run the Wookong Assistant and adjust gain settings, I just connect the USB, run the Assistant, and power up the S800. Unless I use the bluetooth add-on that allows me to do that dynamically, I need to use the Assistant every time I want to adjust those gains.

Now, to remove the foldable props at all is a complete pain in the backside, and to do that every time you want to work on the rig with the power on? In practice I can't see anybody out there doing that.
Maybe my solution while working on the Zenmuse is to remove the arms and work with everything else connected...

btw, how's your Afrikaans coming on? :)

boranup

Louis i had a multi fire up to full power during an upgrade (from memory I think it was 5.22??) glad it had no props on.

Agree with the Evo its a pain in the backside so I either use overside cable ties or netting (eventually I will make a 'cup' that I can place over each motor to mechanically isolate them) and also on my bench secure the evo with a clamp on the legs of some sort

ChrisViperM

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply. Those links are scary!

Ok, but here's the thing - for example, at the moment I'm setting up the Zenmuse, so I want to have everything powered up. Or if I want to run the Wookong Assistant and adjust gain settings, I just connect the USB, run the Assistant, and power up the S800. Unless I use the bluetooth add-on that allows me to do that dynamically, I need to use the Assistant every time I want to adjust those gains.

Now, to remove the foldable props at all is a complete pain in the backside, and to do that every time you want to work on the rig with the power on? In practice I can't see anybody out there doing that.
Maybe my solution while working on the Zenmuse is to remove the arms and work with everything else connected...

btw, how's your Afrikaans coming on? :)

Thats the main statment in of of the links I posted:

Japp it acutally did while USB was connected and Outputs were off. I was holding the fpv bird in one hand and the notebook in my lap, sitting on the stairs to get a better wifi connection. I hit upgrade 2 secs later I got kissed. Luckily the lipo ripped off. I guess I grabbed it with some ninja reflexes :)

Might just drop a note to DJI that outputs seem go on full during FW upgrade under some circumstances.

Best thing is to just take the arms off.....they don't need to be connected while in Assistant Software or working on the Zen...

PS: Afrikaans is going to be a challenge.....my son is having Afrikaans at the German School, so I might join him for a few lessons.....but at least I know what a "lekker braai" and a "boiki pot" is, and I know how to swear in Arikaans....in case I get hit by a propeller :tennis:

Chris

PS: Afrikaans is going to be a challenge.....my son is having Afrikaans at the German School, so I might join him for a few lessons.....but at least I know what a "lekker braai" and a "boiki pot" is, and I know how to swear in Arikaans....in case I get hit by a propeller :tennis:

Chris

Probably the only Afrikaans you need to know :)

Google a guy called Sammy Marks, a South African industrialist in early South Africa - he was my great-grandad !

Louis i had a multi fire up to full power during an upgrade (from memory I think it was 5.22??) glad it had no props on.

Agree with the Evo its a pain in the backside so I either use overside cable ties or netting (eventually I will make a 'cup' that I can place over each motor to mechanically isolate them) and also on my bench secure the evo with a clamp on the legs of some sort

Here's my solution:

http://youtu.be/5hPY3PFni8Y

And here's my first Zenmuse test!

http://youtu.be/OV8_FyP0zP8