Aeronavics / Droidworx CX600 build

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nic...what was the reason you have choosen a low-KV motor ? I know that Droidworx recommends low-KV motors for all their new birds, but they don't state any reason for that. From my understanding and limited experience, lower KV with bigger blades will give you longer flight times, but is more vulnerable to wind and doesn't give the "lock-in" precise feeling like with higher KV and smaller blades. Not trying to start an academic discussion, just want to find out if I am on the wrong track....

Thanks

Chris

I agree, I still have to see one of these flying and the video results, especially in some wind

Dave

nicwilke

I agree, I still have to see one of these flying and the video results, especially in some wind

Dave

I disagree. It's all in the FC and tuning. Let's remember that the S800 is the turnkey of choice for many, and it runs low kV.

ZeroTech flies big props in wind fine, and um thinking the SX will too.
Anyway, it's a fun rig, not a dedicated AP rig.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Let's remember that the S800 is the turnkey of choice for many, and it runs low kV.
Yeh but try fly it in wind.. its a crap platform for majority world filming end of...
May be the FC you are using is better then WKM for slow KV bif props in wind but here in UK the weather is as diverse as our geology... and that takes some beating.

Hope you prove us wrong but I still need to see proof of low KV big props in real world, (for me UK that is) work. Yes there are some great 5 sec clips using the S800/Zenmuse in beautiful conditions but throw it into a must get shot in out more than a horse breath of wind and with a camera UK DOP's will accept and its out of the ball park.. Turn key choice I think not.. or maybe I have misunderstood the quote.

Links to ZeroTEch would be good..

Dave

nicwilke

Yeh but try fly it in wind.. its a crap platform for majority world filming end of...
May be the FC you are using is better then WKM for slow KV bif props in wind but here in UK the weather is as diverse as our geology... and that takes some beating.

Hope you prove us wrong but I still need to see proof of low KV big props in real world, (for me UK that is) work. Yes there are some great 5 sec clips using the S800/Zenmuse in beautiful conditions but throw it into a must get shot in out more than a horse breath of wind and with a camera UK DOP's will accept and its out of the ball park.. Turn key choice I think not.. or maybe I have misunderstood the quote.

Links to ZeroTEch would be good..

Dave

The S800, takes me back to my entry days of an XA hex, haha but they do produce a good result. I must stress that the XM6, and the ADX coax had fast moving props, and the 'Why' video I made showed the Coax as quite rock steady in forward flight in wind. Let's just test this kV theory some more and make a conclusion.
I'd also like to state that one of my personal risk assessments upon arrival on site is wind. If it's over 12 knots, I'm out. I think weather conditions are something that is extremely overlooked in the multirotor operation. Civil Aviation take weather first and foremost the important factor when flight planning, and we multirotor operators just want to build tornado probes. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

Starting to get there.

ja6erysu.jpg

ChrisViperM

View attachment 16626
Twin 6s, 5000mah lipos. AUW.

Yesssssssssssssss......the magic figure: 3270 g

Great to see that you are making progress.....mine is somewhere between USA and Europe on the way. Is there a specific reason for using the Greyphon PDB instead of the Droidworx PDB ? Difficult to say from looking at your pics, but it looks like you used the Octo-Greyphon....?....Symmetry on the ESC connections....?
I really think the Greyphon is without any doubt the best board avalible, especially in combination with the ESC board.....I am just afraid everything will get very "crowdy" on this small bird.....but I am open to any crime if it makes sense.....:tennis:

PS: Can't wait to hear about the SuperX performance since I will plant that into my bird as well......got it at home already, and the look and feel of it is just great....something where the YS-X6 is really far behind.....but most important thing is performance and ease of tuning....

Chris

nicwilke

Chris, I have an ulterior motive with using the octo Gryphon Power Distribution Board. It's going to be a quad for the moment, however I may go to X8 with it. The PDB was looking good, but it was supplied with 10mm standoffs. I purchased some M/F 5mm standoffs and just about halved my stack. I have mounted my ESC sideways, and not flat. They sit neat, and they are very aerated.
It's nearly 9pm, and I've finished for the day. My Gryphon BEC disc has 9x 12v outputs, so I have 3 plugs used for: 1. SuperX 2. FPV Tx & Cam, and 3. Brushless gimbal with Alexmos.
I can easily access another 2 ports for 12v output if needed (may power gopro) and with a 10mins removal of the FC plate, I can get to the other 4x 12v ports. It's so neat it's a crime.
I have 2x 6v ports, one for the Receiver, and the other for some LED lights (later, but I'll terminate the wire till ready).
When/if I choose to go octo, there's still room for the other 4x 40A ESC's.

I'm 600g under my current estimated AUW, so a big bonus.