XAircraft XAircraft X650 Pro - Owners

Av8Chuck

Do you advocate shooting with Protune even with Hero 3 Silver? what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

David

I'm not sure. I have a Hero2 and have used it on that with kind of mixed results. It shoots flat which is good for better dynamic range but the chroma is so "crappy" [technical term] that you really have to add a lot of contrast and reduce saturation. I use both Apple's Color and DaVinci's Resolve so I can get it to look good but I forgot to turn Protunes on last time I used the GoPro and I was amazed at how good it looked without it.

I think it has a lot to do with available light and whether its in the GoPro's sweet spot. It doesn't provide nearly the latitude that shooting with a DSLR provides but if you like color correcting Protune's does give you a little more latitude then normal. I cant try this since I have the Hero2 and I'm not sure if the Silver edition Hero3 does 2.7K but I think an interesting test would be to shoot 2.7K with Protunes, color correct and center cut 1920x1080 out of the 2.7K to remove the fringing of fisheye from around the edge.

I like the GoPro a lot but the Hero2 wasn't good enough for me to be able to cut together with HD footage shot on a DSLR and charge money for it, I'm hoping the the Hero3 will be.

It kind of depends on your workflow and threshold for fidgeting with video, if you like color correcting then it might worth the extra effort if you don't I don't think you miss much by not using it. Its better but not enough for a definitive answer.

Sorry.

Dhardjono

Ok i came back from Randall Island here the conclusion of what i did last night i have 2 video 1 raw 1 post stabilize 1080 30 p the ican stadium shot was medium focal the rest is in wide focal
Video 2 stabilizer on
I have a ND FILTER but did not use it might help get some jello effect out.

Black box of the day flights - [video]http://log.xaircraft.com/#2013_12_25_171405.750_7.3.06.57[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

VIQuad

Ok i came back from Randall Island here the conclusion of what i did last night i have 2 video 1 raw 1 post stabilize 1080 30 p the ican stadium shot was medium focal the rest is in wide focal
Video 2 stabilizer on
I have a ND FILTER but did not use it might help get some jello effect out.

Black box of the day flights - [video]http://log.xaircraft.com/#2013_12_25_171405.750_7.3.06.57[/video]

Great post Daniel, thanks for taking the time to post this today. These results are similar to the points I've been talking about. I don't see any "jello" (wavy distorted video lines) I see more shakes, stutters and tiny micro vibration in your video. So I'm not sure what an ND would do for that...hmmm.

From looking at your black box file, the vibrations seem normal for the flights. And the wind looks very very light if any at all. So with knowing all that, I'm curious to know what is causing all the shaking. Sometimes in the video its worse than others. The stabilized footage you show looks very much like the RAW footage that comes out of a phantom H3-2D setup. So I refuse to believe that the X650 Pro cant deliver better than what your getting here.

I'd like to see someone's black box file that shows significantly less vibration than what Daniel is showing on his black box file here with the same flying characteristics as his flight. You can get less vibration with just hoovering. But he is flying around in his videos. Its doesn't even appear to be aggressive either. He does have some spikes to .5 and .7 but not the whole flight. In some of his flights he's around .3 - .5 which I think should be acceptable to acheive better video results. I see Phantoms fly aggressively in high winds and the video is rock solid. How do you explain that compared to the "higher end" X650 Pro?

I'm not saying you cant or shouldn't stabilize the video after a flight. I'm just saying I feel like we should be getting a better result right out of the camera as other platforms often do...or at least claim. I think the frame design in the X650 is weak and allows for or creates some "flexing".

Daniel - have you tried swapping out the balls on your gimbal for a different configuration?...perhaps one hard and one soft? or all soft?...or all hard?

Dhardjono

Yes Amy said soft one are good for more vibrations but i only have 3 soft dampner so i will order more now i am chatting with her but she on a lunch brake i also order 12 inch carbon fiber prop and new gps puck and tomorrow my board come in for the broken tarot board which i will try with the hooks. Andrew i email him he said he will look at the report i also send him videos of it he isfrom xair US. So far i am getting use to the 650 pro it better in flying controlling yaw ect,,, than Arris 650 but the vibriation kills me other wise it will be top ten this 650 pro with super x.

1- question when you first fly do you have to wait for the lite to signal to go fly like the dji i wait for 3 greens what i did just wait 1 min look at the monitor see how many satellite i have evan the gps is not working it still see's the satellite.

VIQuad

Yes, I power up, let the gimbal initialize, then wait for 3 green for GPS lock. I wont lift off til I get that. Because it logs the GPS coordinates for the RTH as well.

So I wait for it go green which usually takes about 1-2 minutes. Rarely longer.

I'm not sure switching out the balls will make a difference, But its worth a try I suppose.

I still think its in the frame design and the fact that the gimbal is hanging out in front of the quad, rather than under it(centered) like other MR set ups use.(S800, Phantom, Other Hex rotos, etc.)

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
A thought, I think Daniel's motors are still the problem there appears to be too much separation in the power graph when looking at the motor numbers and thrust, could be the wind he talks about but then you would expect the motors to be in unison, left/Right/Front/back depending on wind direction, but they are not.

View attachment 15323
By example here is mine from this morning climbing to 100 meters, much more together

View attachment 15324

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 221

VIQuad

Well that's interesting.

I'd like to hear what XA has to say about those findings...

Could be a motor issue, I don't know. I'm not an expert on interpreting those charts :D But I'm curious to see what XA says about all this info.

VIQuad

My motors look similar to Daniels.

View attachment 19151

Here is the video of that flight. This is 1280x720 @ 30fps COMPLETELY NOTHING done to the clip. This how it comes out of the camera. GoPro3 BE

Keep in mind, this isn't aggressive flying. Things appear to be OK but if you watch, you will notice intermittent micro vibrations and little shakes throughout the video. And as you can see from my motors and vibration picture posted above. I feel like the vibrations are within an acceptable limit during the flight. 0.3 - 0.5 with a small spike to 0.8 towards the end. I've seen other platforms fly full throttle forward with no change what so ever in the shake or vibration of the video. And those people "claim" to have NOT stabilized the video. Which I find hard to believe....

Anyways here's the flight. ....at 3:50 is almost full throttle(75%) forward

full screen version here http://vimeopro.com/govicarious/shakes

Dhardjono

The international guy i mention carbon fiber prop he say - Carbon props are more efficient, quieter and should be pre-balanced when you purchase them so less vibration. The flip side is safety. They cut fingers off if you aren't careful. Generally stick to the same size and pitch as is recommended for the motor. The X650 is perfectly matched to the 11X47 props it comes with so try to remain with those specs. APC props are very good, and are relatively well balanced.
xmouse the internaional xaicraft say this about my motor -
Vibration of the frame is
low enough on the graphs, and it looks as though M3 is working 5% lessthan other motors which indicates a motor is not 100% aligned. This isalso demonstrated by the fact M1 and M3 track together and M2 and M4do the same. The quad is trying to stop itself from yawing. From yourany way i order some 12 inch prop i also try 10 4.5 prop they work but twitchy i need to gain down or soften down but in mean time tomorrow i will go night flight and try with softer dampener and i have it with the hooks but have the tarot tower on it i show picture tomorrow than i will try tarot than if all that don't work i will try ali that you tube guy recipe from his web site he is using 40 esc simone k and 12 inch prop in back and 13 in front and i forgot what motor he uses. http://onlyflyingmachines.com/product/ofm650sv2/#!prettyPhoto this is what he uses
  • High Efficiency 380kv to 480kv Brushless disc motors
  • 2 pairs of Balanced 12inch Mark 2 Carbon Fiber Propellers
  • 2 pairs of Balanced 13inch Mark 2 Carbon Fiber Propellers
  • Custom 40A ESCs with SimonK Firmware specially designed for multirotors
Vi quad video started good than all those vibration twitch like mine any way see what drew has to say about it i email him.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
My motors look similar to Daniels..

I see a lot of vibration starting at about the minute mark and more at 1:30, it's Jerky from then on but that is buffering issues with vimeo, is this taken with your new vehicle modifications?

David

VIQuad

I see a lot of vibration starting at about the minute mark and more at 1:30, it's Jerky from then on but that is buffering issues with vimeo, is this taken with your new vehicle modifications?

David

No, this is the stock configuration.

I posted this to show what I've been talking about for the last few pages on this thread.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
No, this is the stock configuration.

I posted this to show what I've been talking about for the last few pages on this thread.

Isn't this your video? it's chalk and cheese to the one just posted, how was the lagoon video shot?

VIQuad

Can someone post an example of what the motors chart should look like while the X650 Pro is in flight. Not just hoovering.
I'd be curious to compare what others are seeing. And establish a "normal".

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Can someone post an example of what the motors chart should look like while the X650 Pro is in flight. Not just hoovering.
I'd be curious to compare what others are seeing. And establish a "normal".

Normal! not sure there is such a thing, but your answer needs to come in 2 parts, firstly flight and secondly motor thrust, in my opinion and from what I have been told by XAircraft the motors should be very close together in thrust, they will vary due to wind attitude and how the body itself is set up.

These are from a flight yesterday firstly the height so you can see the vehicle climbing and hovering, secondly the power required by all motors to achieve the lift and hover together with reduction in altitude which also requires the motors to behave in a certain manner.

View attachment 15328View attachment 15329

I hope this helps.

David

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 242