Flying safety. oath to not fly over people!

dazzab

but in Australia, if you do get caught, you get a strike and it makes it harder to get certification.
Actually CASA can fine for safety breeches. I don't know if they ever have but I have a letter of warning from them that clearly states fines of up to $5,000 per breech. If the person you talked about is posting any of his results online then they will see it eventually. Either way, he's asking for big trouble so you don't need to worry about him as competition.

Dewster

Good on you, Iris!!

I'll take it one step further..... Everyone that has posted a video on Vimeo or YouTube which contains flight over people (even just one person....even just yourself)...take it down. Or at the very least make it private.

It is tough to argue with the paranoid majority when all they need to do is dial up a few dozen YouTube videos of this sort of thing. Doesn't matter whether its a video posted by one person or a commercial concern....it still promotes irresponsible behaviour and makes us all look bad.

....sT

i agree about the video, but they could also serve to keep people from doing dangerous things with their multi-rotors. There are a ton of crash videos from craft dropping from the sky etc. I would like to see a section on the forum labeled "why you shouldn't fly over people" and reference posted videos. On the counter side: Knowing how hot a topic this is lately I can see those against it using the material to support their agenda in banning "drones".

Its very easy, or even easier to get into this hobby because of videos. I met a guy who flies remote control planes years ago. One of the first things that he told me was to get insurance. I asked him why and he told me about the weight and speed of the craft could cause death if it was to hit a bystander or cause an auto accident. This was something I never thought about when just getting into the hobby. My crash of my reliable flat Hexa last year only solidified the importance of not flying over people. My prop induced crash landed my ultra reliable craft the woods. It was pretty violent, and I kept thinking about the amount of damage it could cause over people.

I also think that videos showcasing successful (stunts) flights of multi-rotors only leads the inexperienced into thinking that they can be reckless with these machines without consequence.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I'd say unless everyone being flown over is aware you are flying over them and of the dangers and is willing to sign off on a legal contract waving all responsibility and damages I'd say avoid it. It's not worth it anyway and whenever I see people on YouTube or whatever flying over people I ask them to stop. If you see a post on YouTube asking someone to stop doing that, join in and let them know you also would like them to stop. We are a community, we all want to protect this hobby and so we should all have each others backs.

In short, I support this! :D

RuralFPV

COWS!!!!
Dont report him, tell his clients that we all agreed to not do this. I told my client I could even try and find someone that was dumb enough to do it but I would feel like a hypocrite for doing so. He understood and agreed to not hire anyone for this type of event. Yes, it's frustrating. Just a few dumb impulsive kids will screw it up for many. I guess it helps to not be desperate for money when flying helis.

the cable cam idea would fun as hell to try. You would have to have the shot be up/down wind though otherwise the load of the cable would pull both kites toward each other. I'll let someone else try it first :)

Was wondering about this from the first post.

It's pointless to just turn down the job, someone else will just do it.

But if you take a moment to explain how dangerous they are and that the potential client could be in the bag for the ensuing lawsuit as well, that may curb the desire to just call someone else.

Thanks.

Uklealey

2nd video - "Thanks space!"
Made me laugh out loud. So cheesy. Haha.
Gonna be hard to put that toothpaste back in the tube.
NAB = National Association of Broadcasters.
Colin Guinn had them eating out of his hand calling them "flying cameras".

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I was following this thread on rcgroups a few weeks ago but had stopped looking at it, then just saw this. So many out there are happy to fly over crowds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAjsWsCuYGU

Dang!! And just wait until this person loses control or crashes into a crowd of people and a bunch of people get hurt. The next thing that will happen is they will ban this entire hobby and none of us will get to fly anymore.

workshop

That was just painful to watch... That is the perfect example of what happens when the wrong guy is behind the camera.

Dewster

Like this DHead:

Looks like he had a lucky flight. I would be worried about mechanical issues and those random concert bottle chuckers. They have such impeccable marksmanship.

On a serious note: I had a flat Hexa crash and land in the middle of the woods. Seeing my craft flutter from a prop breaking and drop out of the sky put a nasty taste in my mouth. I'm serious when I say I felt sick. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I were flying over someone when that happened.

Multi-rotors are unlike any RC aircraft. They are easy to build, easy to fly, and don't require a lot of air space to operate in. The technology does most of the work. The technology even makes bad assemblies fly and corrects bad piloting skill to some extent. I guess that's why you see so many video of them flying over crowds.

Most of these craft are too heavy.

Now here's an honest question: would we have the same reaction if an AR Drone fell out of the sky at a concert or event?

Stacky

You have a conscience however some of them dont because they argue that if they are insured then all is covered. they dont actually think about the effect an accident could have on another persons life.

On a serious note: I had a flat Hexa crash and land in the middle of the woods. Seeing my craft flutter from a prop breaking and drop out of the sky put a nasty taste in my mouth. I'm serious when I say I felt sick. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I were flying over someone when that happened.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Like this DHead:

Wow Jake, you're right...what a DHead indeed. In at least one part he is flying backwards, always a no no for MR's. Then one time he's flying backwards and into the stage area. Who knows what he could hit in there, a simple mic stand strike could cause him to fly 20+mph into the crowd and hurt someone really bad. This doesn't look like it was in America but there are enough cameras there for this kind of BS to end up on the news and the whole war against us to be fueled by it. Irresponsible stuff like this is going to get us all in trouble...sad.

hjls3

Flying backwards is ALWAYS a no no for MR's????? - please clarify. Do you mean nose in? Im not sure I understand what you mean. I do fly nose in all the time and if that is flying backwards, im not sure why its a no no. please inform as I do not want to be doing something i should not be doing.

Wow Jake, you're right...what a DHead indeed. In at least one part he is flying backwards, always a no no for MR's. Then one time he's flying backwards and into the stage area. Who knows what he could hit in there, a simple mic stand strike could cause him to fly 20+mph into the crowd and hurt someone really bad. This doesn't look like it was in America but there are enough cameras there for this kind of BS to end up on the news and the whole war against us to be fueled by it. Irresponsible stuff like this is going to get us all in trouble...sad.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Flying backwards is ALWAYS a no no for MR's????? - please clarify. Do you mean nose in? Im not sure I understand what you mean. I do fly nose in all the time and if that is flying backwards, im not sure why its a no no. please inform as I do not want to be doing something i should not be doing.

i think he's saying if it was being flown via FPV, then backwards would be unwise in an areas where something could be hit.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert

Flying FPV backwards and or in a direction in which you cannot see is always a no-no for any aircraft of any kind.

Bowley

Flying FPV backwards and or in a direction in which you cannot see is always a no-no for any aircraft of any kind.

Just as long as there is a safety observer to maintain VLOS for collision avoidance and in direct comms with the pilot, I consider it safe to fly backwards, forwards, sideyways whatever. not over people obviously.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Just as long as there is a safety observer to maintain VLOS for collision avoidance and in direct comms with the pilot, I consider it safe to fly backwards, forwards, sideyways whatever. not over people obviously.

I'd consider that "being able to see". The problem is when you cannot see and fly in that direction anyway hoping for the best. The comments are in regards to the video above.