Wookong IMU V2

Serval

Yes, we are talking about a VITAL COMPONENT : You RIGHT !
When there are bad Quality material and design, vibrations comes.
Vibrations DJI S800 come with or without heavy lift (even gains adjust, even perfect stock assembly).
With Heavy lift, need more gaz, build more vibrations.
DJI words : "7 kg is for example" : only just an Example...

DJI S800, is completly "Contradictory" product.
The great real idea WAS : Easy to Assembly and get Professionnals Results, WITHOUT DIY, because of out of box.
But with DIY frame, you get less vibrations Easly.
- How much S800 crashes on the world, with WKM V1 ?
- How much other brandname crashes on the world, with WKM V1?
Easily to compare figures, why ?
One more time, problems come from vibrations.

A lot of people, changes stock props.
This is more dangerous, because of more vibrations.
DJI S800 is a vibrations COW, or Toy depend people wants.

Because of all constant vibrations and flexibility are impact all Material.
But with plastics arms, more and more fragile, more and more flexibility, more and more velocity.

Frame DJI S800, ADDs :
- Stiff arm solutions : 300/600 €
- Add your trade up IMU V2 : 249 €
- Change propeller : 300 €
- Add Absorber Vibration 2nd level : ??? €
If you are lucky guys no remplacement parts.
How much do you want to pay to try it S800 works ?
How much time lost ?
How much customers project lost ?
How could you resell your frame ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanzar

WTH is going on here.

Comment DJI please...

Lanzar?

DJI dealers?

I fly WKM on all my MR's and am quite happy with the performance but the white lights are becoming more frequent with the latest upgrades.

Is it the old IMU's cant cope with current firmware!

It seems the WOOKONG philosophy is leaving DJI! for the $ philosophy!

Come on DJI as Mombassaflash says we dont mind paying for credible improvements but if the IMU is showing weaknesses then for pittys sake dont let disasters happen due to bloodymindenness

Dave

For now i cant comment on this.

We got V2 versions to upgrade for s800 users from DJI. Now if you want it you can buy it. We tried it but i need one unit that is not working propelry to test the new IMU with it.
THis is DJI price and we are providing it as we are DJI dealer.
I dont know why some upgrade to new software iff the old one is working. We are using 5.18 on all our birds and we do not intend to upgrade until we see some proper changes done. Why do you need to fix something that is working.

More later

@serval +1 on gathering all the problems that need adressing.

ChrisViperM

One thing is not clear to me yet: Will the new IMU use the same firmware as the "old" one or will there be different firmwares....? If FW is different, I guess the development of the "old" firmware will come to a stop. Also even if they use the same FW for the moment, the development (I guess) will be focussed on the possibilities of the new hardware....looks like no other choice than to change it.....on the other hand: how many more features do we really need ? Rather have less switches to remember and have more confidence in the hardware....

I'd rather do the change now before it's out of stock.....

Chris

Serval

One thing is not clear to me yet: Will the new IMU use the same firmware as the "old" one or will there be different firmwares....? If FW is different, I guess the development of the "old" firmware will come to a stop.
I'd rather do the change now before it's out of stock.....
Chris

Be sure it will be a really bad technico-commercial strategy.
Because of pilots will not accept as S800 consumable, a WKM consumable.
Less 360 days investment, really short :-(

Many manufacturers wait and see, what is going on about it, in Europ.

To understand it, just take a look about what's happen with Zenmuse.
Brushless Gimbal from DIY and Alexmos.... sure not exactly yet Zenmuse, but answer for part of consumers.
Others manufacturers are taking this Gopro market place.
In 2 or 3 months Brushless for DSLR will answering demands.

With paying IMU V2, a lot of consumers feeling abuse.
Rules could change a lot of.
As any New Technology possible to grow quicky, and down more fastly. (as Kodak experience :-( ).

ChrisViperM

I agree, but there is just one little trouble: A lot of us have invested already some serious money in a S800 / Zenmuse combo, based on the promises of DJI (still visible at their web-site) and (maybe a bit over-exited) "fist hand experience" of early users....not even calculated the endless hours which went into the bird.....question is: what to now ? Put it on ebay and get a fraction of the costs back with the feeling you knowingly sell a unreliable product to an " innocent" person (I know this thinking is old-school)....

So that's why I will exchange the IMU (as much as I hate it) and hope that it will make it a bit more reliable.....but for the future DJI should have a look at this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7672080_turn-around-bad-situation-customer.html

That won't help them in my case (I am gone) but maybe it helps them to rethink their relation to their customers.....

Chris

Serval

....not even calculated the endless hours which went into the bird.....
Chris

No Chris.
I haved calculate that, since a get the "Vibrate Cow".
- working hours 2.033
+ customer projects losts
+ plateform invest
Total Cost : 33.460 €

I sold my car.
Now, I sell my house !
Enough that is enough for me.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well, if you have gone to the lengths of selling your car and now your house, just to get the S800 to work, you may as well sell your soul now. I mean, in for a penny, in for pound, Eh?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I love this bloody forum!

Quality postings here. Just come in and need to get my heard round all the post.

Lanzar thanks for adding to this debate your input is invaluable, but then again is that of the relatively new be to the forum Serval.
@ Serval thanks for you input and welcome to MRF. Great input

Dave

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
It was one of the reasons that I sold my S800... it was struggling at 7kg fully laden with zenmuse + retracts etc. loads of white flashes...

I have 2 WK-M's one of which I am installing in my new SkyJib X4 Heavy Build.

In 2 minds to get the upgrade or not - if it is better for heavy S800's then surely it should be better on any larger multi rotor...

Agree that we shouldn't be paying for replacement items when the original v1's are not 'fit for purpose'

Steve

Tomstoy2

In all honesty, keep in mind the WKM came out long before the s800, ( I, for one, am damn glad I didn't jump onto the s800 band wagon. Professional? Not even close. ). Sure, I too would like a bullet proof system that can take me well into the future, but I don't really expect my 99 Olds to handle and perform like a new car. I do have to agree with the concern as to what this means for the original imu. I don't want to get stuck with an imu that does not benefit from future upgrades and r&d. If the original imu gets stuck in the background, then perhaps it's time to look at the writing on the wall?

Dewster

I stopped upgrading my WKM. It's the "old" one with the GPS compass before the Flip of Death issue. I have enough features. RTH, IOC, Home Lock, gimbal. They work well. The Flip of Death issue always puts a shadow in my mind, but I worry more about a prop breaking or a corrupt solder joint than my WKM going postal. The current features are enough for what I use it for. Its almost scary to upgrade if I'm satisfied with the performance. I don't even remember what firmware I'm on.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
In all honesty, keep in mind the WKM came out long before the s800,....

I feel you are being unnecessarily charitable there.

I somehow doubt that the S800 was not on the drawing board when the Wookong-M was brought to market. DJI had already established themselves as a credible supplier of two generations of SR heli auto-pilot systems before the WKM appeared, and in the meantime MK had put MR's onto the map with a 'helicopter' that didn't require special skills to fly. DJI, being already sort of 'in the business', would surely have seen the potential of releasing their own MR to that mass market.

The fact is they screwed up. I have never heard of these sorts of incidents with the ACE One or previous SR systems and people with Droidworx/Cinestar/ et all properly designed MR's do not report these issues. The S800 is a bad apple that has a history of constant repair patches in the form of v2 upgrades and DJI is abusing its customer base by charging them too much to upgrade from poorly designed components - or even charging at all!

They are biting their own butts because customer loyalty is not an expression one currently associates with DJI and with direct drive gimbals starting to pop up everywhere they are going to crash. Because if we don't need the Zenmuse we don't need ANY of their gear.

DennyR

Well said Flash I think they mass produced a lot of crap and got the dealers in to buffer the damage. They have no intention of servicing the products they make. As long as they can keep people preoccupied with new product enticements, screw the existing customers as they consider everything they make to be a disposable item. There is always another mug around the corner.

Serval

Well said Flash I think they mass produced a lot of crap and got the dealers in to buffer the damage. They have no intention of servicing the products they make. As long as they can keep people preoccupied with new product enticements, screw the existing customers as they consider everything they make to be a disposable item. There is always another mug around the corner.

Customers coming to be a "victim", since he is starting to accept mistakes manufacturer, and pay for him because he have no choice.
People get choices to keep or to leave, a brandname.
Brandname begin to down, when customers do not believe anymore.
:upset:

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
Just ordered one from Martin at Build Your Own Drone in the UK - the dealer that I purchased one of my WK-M's from. I have been quoted £160 plus shipping. He is going to send out the V2 first and once I get it I need to return the old one so that I'm not without an IMU...

He's said it should be about 10 days to get it.

I'm not overwhelmed about paying the £160 - but considering how much money I have spent so far I feel I want to test it out to see if there is an improvement...

Steve

Serval

Just ordered one from Martin at Build Your Own Drone in the UK - the dealer that I purchased one of my WK-M's from. I have been quoted £160 plus shipping. He is going to send out the V2 first and once I get it I need to return the old one so that I'm not without an IMU...

He's said it should be about 10 days to get it.

I'm not overwhelmed about paying the £160 - but considering how much money I have spent so far I feel I want to test it out to see if there is an improvement...

Steve

Cool, very happy for you.

• :strawberry:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just got a IMU V2 actually seems to be the IMU of the A2M system. It says on the back DJI Model NO. A2M

Boris

ChrisViperM

Just got a IMU V2 actually seems to be the IMU of the A2M system. It says on the back DJI Model NO. A2M

Boris

Please....leat us know how it performs. I have two on the way, and if this things are not A LOT better than the v1 and fix all current issues, I might do a product review like this:

BTW: What's this A2M anyways.....?????

Chris

Boris

Boris I am really interested in your opinion on the new IMU. Is it just the aluminum case that's different or did they switch to cheaper digital sensors since the analogue are no longer made.