Help! No power on my S800

Hi need help on my S800 ..

I have set it up correctly and and flew 3 flights successfully. You can view it here :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVuYWX0WQ14

Today on my 4th flight

1. It flew ok and i left it on GPS lock for about 5 mins while I work on zenmuse and the video downlink.

2. Then I apply right aileron and it started to to move to the right but at the same time it started to rotate left as well - which is weird

3. I then notice there is no light on the LED. (on ATT mode)

4. I immediately land the S800 and return home to check on Wookong assistant ..

I just checked all connection and it seems ok. I connect the battery to the S800 and Zenmuse (the Zenmuse initializes correctly) and connect the USB to my PC but it does not recognize the S800.

I restarted everything.. connect the battery then I realize the only initializing sound comes from the zenmuse and there is no other sound and there is still no light on the LED.

I checked again. connections all correct. But there is no power on the Radio Receiver (LED on the Futaba receiver did not lit up) and I suspect the there is no power on the Wookong too (PMU connected correctly to X1 on Wookong - yes I have had 4 sucessful flights)

But there is a green light on the PMU

Really appreciate any feedback..

ChrisViperM

Seems you have a problem with your PMU....

1) On your PMU you have power coming in from your LiPo's...since the green light is on, there is power going into the PMU

2) There is two power outlets on the PMU.....V-SEN and PW....V-SEN should have arround 5 Volt and PW should have 12,6 Volt (it's printed on the PMU)...measure both outputs with a multimeter. If the measurements are not correct, you most probably have a fried PMU, even if the LED is green.

Chris

Thanks ChrisViperM. That sounds like a good plan. Will do just that - just in case it'll help.

I also skyped DJI in China a moment ago and spoke to someone there. He asked me to send power directly to the Wookong MC using 6v BEC which I did and the LED indicator lit up for a brief moment then turned off. He concluded that there is a problem with the MC and perhaps even other wookong components.

Spoke to the local dealer here and luckily he's letting me have a new unit to test it out tomorrow.

ChrisViperM

If your PMU is out-putting a lot more voltage than 5 Volt it's pretty much possible that this has fried some other components as well. Also try to hook that 6V BEC directly to your Radio receiver to see if it also got any damage.....
Don't hook up any of the components you get from your dealer to your (suspected) faulty PMU.....

Chris

Any idea on what causes "2. Then I apply right aileron and it started to to move to the right but at the same time it started to rotate left as well - which is weird"

If your PMU is out-putting a lot more voltage than 5 Volt it's pretty much possible that this has fried some other components as well. Also try to hook that 6V BEC directly to your Radio receiver to see if it also got any damage.....
Don't hook up any of the components you get from your dealer to your (suspected) faulty PMU.....

Chris

Thanks Chris.. but this is weird.

Got the new wookong

1. First I just replaced the PMU and power it up. Still the same problem. no light on LED or MC or Futaba Rx
2. Then I replaced the MC. Looks good. MC and Futaba Rx lit up for maybe 10 secs then it shuts off.
3. Then I replaced the IMU. Everything lit up for about 2 secs including the LED this time then it shuts off.

The PMU gets really hot to touch longer than 1 sec.

Maybe problem with the Main Centre Board? China is on holiday today so I cant really call DJI.. this is frustrating ..

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Chris.. but this is weird.

Got the new wookong

1. First I just replaced the PMU and power it up. Still the same problem. no light on LED or MC or Futaba Rx
2. Then I replaced the MC. Looks good. MC and Futaba Rx lit up for maybe 10 secs then it shuts off.
3. Then I replaced the IMU. Everything lit up for about 2 secs including the LED this time then it shuts off.

The PMU gets really hot to touch longer than 1 sec.

Maybe problem with the Main Centre Board? China is on holiday today so I cant really call DJI.. this is frustrating ..

WHY try this and that. Why did you not swap everything rather than just one bit at a time? IMO you would have been better swapping out the lot and sending the old one back as a complete unit. Now youmay have blown you new one with what ever is faulty.

Dave

Thanks Droider.. because DJI suggested that the problem lies with either the PMU or the MCU. So naturally they wanted to isolate what was the problem and have it replaced. Plus the thing was not purchased as RTF.

WHY try this and that. Why did you not swap everything rather than just one bit at a time? IMO you would have been better swapping out the lot and sending the old one back as a complete unit. Now youmay have blown you new one with what ever is faulty.

Dave

Hey Chris, really appreciate your input and help.

The first PMU looks busted as the voltage is only 0.5 to X1

The second Wookong unit (even though its no longer booting up - ie no lights on LED and MC outputs the correct voltage ie 5v)

Now this is where it gets really weird. I have with me a new centre board AND a third borrowed wookong. Connected everything correctly and power it up and YES everything lit up correctly like christmas tree. So I was happy.

Unfortunately, 1 min later everything shuts off again!

Im really stumped.

And ideas/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Did you do any measurements with a multimeter so far ?

Chris

ChrisViperM

Might sound like a dumb suggestion, but did you try to hook a freshly charged 6S Lipo....I remember once playing with my setup for hours with a half full LiPo, just to find out it won't start all of the sudden if I connect the battery....took me 2 hours to find out that the LiPo was sucked dry....

Chris

ChrisViperM

The last thing I would try is to hook up the whole WooKong stuff directly to the Lipo (maybe try another Lipo) without the S800 center plate. Plug in the PMU and measure....only then plug in the Main Controller and measure....and so on.

If you can't pinpoint your problem....sell your house or call the Ghost Busters :tennis:

Chris

CASE CLOSED AND PROBLEM SOLVED

Finally! wasted 3 days isolating the problem and it is now traced to faulty iOSD mark 2 frying 4 different PMUs!