Has anyone noticed the changes and new transmitter restrictions?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Has anyone noticed that most FPV websites are now restricting which transmitters they will send you? They even state that if you try to order a transmitter that is banned in your country they will swap it for the version that is legal in your country? Nothing pisses me off more, can I say that?, then to order something and get something I didn't order! The "international" transmitters are open and have a slew of select-able frequencies whereas the new "USA versions" are limited. Also if you notice in the fine print they are starting to state that, "A HAM operator's license is required for this product". I wonder if they'll soon be requesting a copy of that? Anyone know why the sudden change and recent enforcement of these products? I'd like to find someone outside of the USA whereas I can order the transmitter I want, ship it to them and they ship it to me of course at my cost. Your thoughts on this matter are appreciated, I'm just curious what people have heard, what they think and if there's something going on behind the scenes causing this that we may not be aware of such as pending legislation or the crack down on businesses shipping these products. Thanks!!!!

kloner

Aerial DP
certain frequencies are not allowed in the US so they lock (put a really easy glue to get out) on the dip switches and locks it into ch1 for 2.4 for example....... it's always been that way, nothing is or has changed. hobbywireless uses the easiest glue to get out

think your trying to hard...

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
certain frequencies are not allowed in the US so they lock (put a really easy glue to get out) on the dip switches and locks it into ch1 for 2.4 for example....... it's always been that way, nothing is or has changed. hobbywireless uses the easiest glue to get out

think your trying to hard...

I wasn't aware of that but that is excellent information. Are there YouTube videos on "how-to" or is it literally as simple as removing the glue and flipping some switches. I guess what Im asking is how do you know what to set the dip switches too? Thanks!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
There's good reasons why they won't sell them and they're illegal to broadcast on in the USA. Some of those blocked frequencies are used by emergency services and things like air traffic control systems, you may want to just stick to the legal frequencies unless you fly 50 miles out in the middle of nowhere and even then it's still illegal...

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
i have no idea about youtube. When you buy a product usually there is a page you get it at, most retailers on that page have the info...... since this whole thing is in code, i can't point you to what product you have so you know where to look.

with 2.4, ch5 and ch8 lawmate are the only 2 not affected by fhss radios like spek, futaba, hitec

those channels in the us are permit only so player beware. I've been approached by a broadcast truck about using an illegal ch before.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
i have no idea about youtube. When you buy a product usually there is a page you get it at, most retailers on that page have the info...... since this whole thing is in code, i can't point you to what product you have so you know where to look.

with 2.4, ch5 and ch8 lawmate are the only 2 not affected by fhss radios like spek, futaba, hitec

those channels in the us are permit only so player beware. I've been approached by a broadcast truck about using an illegal ch before.

Were you "caught" using an illegal channel? As in they "detected" you and thus approached you? I have no problem remaining legal however I would like the option, when in the middle of nowhere, to switch to other channels if I'm getting interference.

kloner

Aerial DP
they came and told me they had a single use permit for the ch and to stop transmitting on it...... i changed the channel and flew off. them big sattelight trucks got massive monitors with arrows that points where the interference is coming from. there link being digital i couldn't see anything on my screen that showed a problem and theres being digital couldn't see my picture, but it interfered none the less

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
they came and told me they had a single use permit for the ch and to stop transmitting on it...... i changed the channel and flew off. them big sattelight trucks got massive monitors with arrows that points where the interference is coming from. there link being digital i couldn't see anything on my screen that showed a problem and theres being digital couldn't see my picture, but it interfered none the less

Very interesting indeed!! I'll have to think on this one for a while...sigh....

tstrike

pendejo grande
Sat trucks pay for sat time and if you mess with their window of opportunity it makes the guy in the air conditioned truck put down his big gulp and brave the sunshine to find you. It's quite strenuous on them you see. Kloner was that at that golf thing or one of the news broadcast at Dave's?

Olemil

I too have noticed lately that a lot of websites have the fine print at the bottom stating a ham radio license may be required to operate. Seems most of the time it is FPV gear that has this notice. Glad I already have my ham license.

SMP

Sat trucks pay for sat time and if you mess with their window of opportunity it makes the guy in the air conditioned truck put down his big gulp and brave the sunshine to find you. It's quite strenuous on them you see.

Chuckling here.. Ok that made me laugh that loud. My brother is a professional Big Gulper/XBox Player otherwise known as AirForce Satellite Uplink guy. He's pale too ;)

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I too have noticed lately that a lot of websites have the fine print at the bottom stating a ham radio license may be required to operate. Seems most of the time it is FPV gear that has this notice. Glad I already have my ham license.

I feel like they're going to start getting stricter and I'm ok with that on some levels. I don't like the GOV stepping in telling me what I can and can't do. I fully support safety and anything in regards to that but telling me I can't do something just because is not going to work and I'm going to do it anyway. If I want to transmit on an unused frequency I'm going to do that, license or no license and I will never yield on that note. I completely understand not transmitting on used frequencies that may have negative results to air traffic controllers, police or fire departments and so on but to say I can't do something just because just won't work and I will boycott any company that forces me to buy one product over another. I've started putting in the comment sections of every order the following, "If I have ordered something that is not "legal" in my country or you feel the need to switch the product I ordered with another "legal" product please cancel my order immediately.". So far I've received every single thing I've ordered exactly the way I've ordered it. The power is in the people, we supply the money to the companies and they will do as we order or they will no longer exist and they're aware of that. If we roll over and take it then they will continue to do it and I for one, being a veteran, will never roll over and take it and will always fight for my freedoms and yours. Yes, I believe the issue is that important and is not limited to FPV or video frequencies etc but to everything I touch, say and do. My 2 cents...

RobertsUp

I'm going to get a ham license. Doesn't matter if it takes a year of study and effort. My understanding is that knowing Morse code isn't required anymore. If that's wrong then I'll learn Morse code. I had a toy telegraphy tapper when I was a boy. I'm going to get that license. SOS! Save our ship. Click tap click tap tap tap click.

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I'm going to get a ham license. Doesn't matter if it takes a year of study and effort. My understanding is that knowing Morse code isn't required anymore. If that's wrong then I'll learn Morse code. I had a toy telegraphy tapper when I was a boy. I'm going to get that license. SOS! Save our ship. Click tap click tap tap tap click.

Go a list of the requirements and cost? Soon it'll be mandatory I'm sure but guess what, nobody will be checking except the AMA fields and we don't fly those anyway.

gpforet

I used a website called QRZ.com to take their practice tests. I drilled for about 3 weeks and got by thru rote memorization. Found a local ham club who had regular testing dates. If you pass your tech level license, you can take the general test right after without having to pay more. I passed tech and general and total cost was $15.00 (plus about 20 hrs of practice). Knowing a little about electricity and electronics helps, but you can memorize most of the test questions, finding patterns which is how I passed.

tstrike

pendejo grande
My state use to issue a Marijuana stamp for 50.00, if you were going to sell pot and you got caught without the stamp, more fines and charges were piled on you. The beauty of it was that if the dealer went in and got the stamp he was put on a list and would be visited by the authorities within the week. Heads the state wins, tails you lose to the state.

gpforet

meaning?......

My state use to issue a Marijuana stamp for 50.00, if you were going to sell pot and you got caught without the stamp, more fines and charges were piled on you. The beauty of it was that if the dealer went in and got the stamp he was put on a list and would be visited by the authorities within the week. Heads the state wins, tails you lose to the state.

tstrike

pendejo grande
meaning it'll just be another fine they'll pile on when they start cracking down on this stuff. It's not about protecting rights or safety, it's about generating revenue for the state. Always has been, always will be.