What can fly what? Help!

adanac

Is there a chart or list somewhere that will compare different models, particularly payloads? I'd like something that will, if possible, fly my 5D (or at least a GH2), be capable of very stable footage, be portable, and not fall out of the sky if a motor goes out. I'm having difficulty, even after a week of reading fora, navigating the forest of choices (and omitted specs). Overwhelmed and in need of help.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
Do you have experiance flying yet? Your looking at something bigger, med heavy lifting type rig. There is about to be an influx of brushless direct drive gimbals to flood the market like zenmeuse but for dslr's alot less than there going for now. that is going to do 2 things, make alot of servo gimbals obsolette and cheap to obtain and it's going to make the market a buyers market. Not to mention you would be better off moving on up too.....

very stable footage comes from the pilot and the setup, any gear can look good or bad not setup right. You sound like you need an octo

tombrown1

Is there a chart or list somewhere that will compare different models, particularly payloads? I'd like something that will, if possible, fly my 5D (or at least a GH2), be capable of very stable footage, be portable, and not fall out of the sky if a motor goes out. I'm having difficulty, even after a week of reading fora, navigating the forest of choices (and omitted specs). Overwhelmed and in need of help.

Thank you!

Dji s800 with zenmuse would do great things with your gh2. It's portable and does have redundancy. Only real downside is you must use the gh2. No camera flexibility. Price is about $7k plus another $2000 or so for batteries, chargers, video down links, etc..

remember that even if you work very hard you probably won't be ale to get great video for about 6 months. You have a lot of learning to do. Oh, and learn how to fly a mqx first.

Good luck,

Tom

adanac

Thank you for your replies. I have been looking at the S800 but it was my impression that a hex doesn't have redundancy. I practice on the MQX several times a day. :)

DJI say the S800 will carry a payload of 2.5kg. Does that include the batteries? A 5DM2 with a battery, card and light lens is about 1.3kg.

Certainly, the portability of the S800 is great.

I would not purchase a Zenmuse at it's current price.

tombrown1

Thank you for your replies. I have been looking at the S800 but it was my impression that a hex doesn't have redundancy. I practice on the MQX several times a day. :)

DJI say the S800 will carry a payload of 2.5kg. Does that include the batteries? A 5DM2 with a battery, card and light lens is about 1.3kg.

Certainly, the portability of the S800 is great.

I would not purchase a Zenmuse at it's current price.

A dji hex does have redundancy. An Octo has more.

Don't forget you will need to include gimbal in your payload.

The Zenmuse is the best gimbal available anywhere. That's why its expensive.

If you need to hoist a dslr then go Cinestar Octo and cinestar gimbal. If you don't want to spend money though, then you're going to run into problems.

adanac

Tombrown, thank you. I definitely include a gimbal in payload. The question is how DJI defines payload. For all we know, they could count battery and Wookong, etc., as payload. Their English is so poor it's hard to truly know anything about it.

I'm not complaining about or inquiring about the Zenmuse price, I just think there will be comparable, lower-priced options before long.

tombrown1

Tombrown, thank you. I definitely include a gimbal in payload. The question is how DJI defines payload. For all we know, they could count battery and Wookong, etc., as payload. Their English is so poor it's hard to truly know anything about it.

I'm not complaining about or inquiring about the Zenmuse price, I just think there will be comparable, lower-priced options before long.

im personally skeptical about the brushless craze. I think they're going to be great, but I don't think they're gong to be zenmuse great. It's all about the software, and zenmuse has top notch software. I think if you want to wait for brushless dslr you might be disappointed.

Why do you want mark ii instead of gh2? Gh2 is used by big time film makers and the weight savings are incredible.

kloner

Aerial DP
haha, we will see..... I'll be back next week with CF 800 hex with aftermarket gimbal and we can compare notes. mines only $2k in the sky,,,, 3515's, 60 amp esc's, 15" props..... and no flex

adanac

As I know very little about it (or even what brushless means), I'm going to take your word for it. What I do believe, however, is that I can or will soon be able to get a decent gimbal for a lot less than $3500. Maybe I'm wrong there, too, and if so, I can always get the Zenmuse (assuming I have money left over!).

I'm asking myself the same question about camera choice. I want to be as professional as possible and the 5D (which I own) is arguably broadly more professional than the GH2. However, the GH2 is capable of terrific footage, is hackable and can record uncompressed to an Atmos Ninja, which weighs .67kg with battery and drive. That makes 1.3kg along with camera and lens.

I also expect to do GoPro stuff so no problem there.

There seem to be strong arguments for the S800. On the other hand, my budget is about $6K, and for that amount I can get a Cinestar 8 kit with everything I need to get in the air.

Last edited by a moderator: