-20ºc Here We Come

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just got my 450 finished in time for my return to Finland thanks to all of you that helped me out after my workshop fire.

It aint as cold as it was last year but its still a tad on the cold side. This year I will have a GP3B thanks to RC pitstop, Video TX thanks to Quadcopters UK, charger, tools and other bits and bobs thanks to the generosity of forum members.

Once again thanks everyone.

Finland here we come!

Dave

ChrisViperM

Attachments

• 10-tips-for-polar-photography-13.jpg
    10-tips-for-polar-photography-13.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 279

Tomstoy2

Looks like the one pinguin is bitching about his Naza drifting!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kari

Dave -20 is not problem, just keep the batteries and fingers warm ;)

Shouldn't be that cold here except night, sun is already warming a lot. Welcome back, are you going to Levi? We were there shooting 2 weeks ago. If you need there any local help (for example scouting from full size heli etc. ;) just let me know and we'll arrange with my friends who are located in Levi.

Best,

Kari

Kari

Ah just saw the thread about the fire, i'm really really sorry to hear about that. Good to hear you're back in game after total loss. Just pm me if i can help in any way!

K

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Kari.
Doing some stuff for tourist board and my own show reel. Learnt a lot last year especially jello! Any how some skiing and some skidoo stuff. What where u filming?

With MR or full size helicopter ?

Reading the forecast its saying it will
Warm up towards the end if the week.

Thanks for the offer of help.
Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave you should throw up a pic...its impressive. i am curious about the black on the GPS -
John I am being driven down to Gatwick by Sandra right now so can't post pic. Ill post some of her in action.

The copter that is!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave you should throw up a pic...its impressive. i am curious about the black on the GPS -
Black absorbs heat. Sunlight. Well that's my idea. Let the sun combat the cold. That's why she is all black. Oh and so I can see her if she takes a plunge!

Kari

Hi Kari.
Doing some stuff for tourist board and my own show reel. Learnt a lot last year especially jello! Any how some skiing and some skidoo stuff. What where u filming?

With MR or full size helicopter ?

Reading the forecast its saying it will
Warm up towards the end if the week.

Thanks for the offer of help.
Dave

We did some stuff for reel too, and we were also testing how we could utilize our "budget" gimbals for full size heli. I understand your concern about jello, especially with gopro it's one of a pita. It's problem even with GH3 if using bigger 15" props in these temps, especially if using radians which need quite stiff mounting. Smaller props seems to help a little if flying very cold, but will also reduce flight time.

I'm sure you can feel my fingers freezing after sitting in prop wash ;)
View attachment 10282

Here's some stuff from Levi in the beginning of the reel, this was a bit hurry edit and will post more sophisticated edit when just have some time for that.

Best,

Kari

Attachments

• cs_in_fs.jpg
    cs_in_fs.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 242
Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Kari. I am on hotel BB which is sloooooooooow. trying to watch video now but recognise the key frame!

Dave

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Just got my 450 finished in time for my return to Finland thanks to all of you that helped me out after my workshop fire.

It aint as cold as it was last year but its still a tad on the cold side. This year I will have a GP3B thanks to RC pitstop, Video TX thanks to Quadcopters UK, charger, tools and other bits and bobs thanks to the generosity of forum members.

Once again thanks everyone.

Finland here we come!

Dave

Hey and welcome, in that type of weather be careful using carbon fiber propellers as I hear they are more prone to breaking in weather below 32F or 0C. Look forward to seeing some videos from Finland!! We Americans don't know much about Finland other than it sounds cold :)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Well the Lipos made it through to the departure lounge no questions asked, 6 x 5000mah packs. what did not make it through was the rest of my hand luggage as they said it was over weight at 5kg! thats what really hacks me off about air travel.. the not knowing what you can and cannot take.. The uncertainty just sucks.

Anyhow had a beer to calm down. now all I have to do is see if my 450 passes through careful hands and arrives in one piece. Wish I had stripped he down now.

As for props, the Graupners stood up pretty well last year in - 35 so I am going with them, three sets just in case!

Ill post suff up when I can.. Its a great place to visit, I am also hoping to get some stuff of the northern lights which would be a BIG bonus.

Dave

ChrisViperM