Battery sizing!

Waterboy

Can anybody recommend what they think is the best battery set up for the DJI 550? I'm using one Thunder Power 5000 4cell 25c per flight and they are only lasting about 6 minutes. Would I be better going bigger or go smaller and use two in parallel? I'm flying with landing gear, camera gamble, gopro 3 or NEX 5R, fat shark tx and battery,10x5 graupner props.

Bowley

Can anybody recommend what they think is the best battery set up for the DJI 550? I'm using one Thunder Power 5000 4cell 25c per flight and they are only lasting about 6 minutes. Would I be better going bigger or go smaller and use two in parallel? I'm flying with landing gear, camera gamble, gopro 3 or NEX 5R, fat shark tx and battery,10x5 graupner props.

Are you just flying until your first level voltage protection ie red flashing LED, maybe you have that set a little higher than you need, whats your all up weight? might be thats all your going to get with 1 5000. would'nt think you'd get much more to be honest.

Waterboy

No I ignore the LED indicator and have a audible low voltage indicator that is set at 3.6 volts. Not sure of the total weight don't have a good digital scale.

VINHEX

I was getting 8 min from a 5000 Turnigy 3s BUT weight was not a lot at the point.. With my Aeroxcraft xt125 and go pro tx and landing gear I was pushing 3.0 kg AUW which is really too much for std f550 DJI recommend 2.5kg max with their kit. Hence upgraded not knowing your kit if all std then your time is close to what to expect. If you run parallel you could put on another .5 kg so punching even more weight on those arms and motors.. There are some guys that are pushing these weights, my personal preference made me upgrade the frame and motors props but not the ESCs..

gtranquilla

RadioActive
That's a lot of weight for the F550..... so the time looks about right for that combination.
But you can still upgrade your motors a bit and get by with your stock 30 amp escs and 10x5 Graupners which is what I did.
I then added two 3S 5000 mah 25-35C Turnigy batteries in parallel and I get 15 minutes with the landing gear on plus DJI LK900 datalink+R6208SB receiver.
With the GoPro and gimbal also mounted I can still get close to 10 minutes.....
But no aggressive flying or time drops quickly.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
That is a loaded question as there are many factors to take in to account including the number of poles on your motors, prop diameter and pitch and your MR all up weight.
In general more volts translates to a broader range of motor rpm
A 3S battery is 3 cells in series: 3 x 3.7volt cells = 11.1 Volts nominal
A 4S battery is 4 cells in series: 4 x 3.7 volts = 14.8 volts nominal

Since motor thrust is related to electrical power and Power = Volts * Amps....... more volts also enables more power or motor thrust.
Finally, when all other factors are equal, more volts helps to improve MR efficiency and therefore flight time - IMHO.

What is the difference or benefit between 3s and 4s? I see a lot of people using 3s.

Waterboy

Now what brand battery do you recommend? Is it worth it to spend the money or are they all about the same if you get the same size?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I maintain an attitude of being vendor neutral but.........

IMHO - If you do some investigative reading on this topic you should discover that there are certain brands that are using newer, more efficient LiPo electrochemistry that enables higher energy density along with faster charging and more amps (higher C rating) when needed for the electrical load. A battery chemistry that cannot be charged safely above 1C is older, less efficient technology and those batteries will not last as long. Keep your eyes and ears open for newer battery technological developments also. It never moves fast enough for our needs but it does evolve over time.

Now what brand battery do you recommend? Is it worth it to spend the money or are they all about the same if you get the same size?