Motors Spin Up After Arming - Normal With Naza M?

Motors Spin Up After Arming - Normal With Naza M? Never Mind

Well, here I am at the beginning again. After a few years flying with HFP, I decided to give the Naza M system a try. Right now it's sitting on my work bench without props. When I arm, the motors immediately go to about 1/4 speed. Then when I move throttle all the way up then down, the motors go to zero rpm and won't come back on until I increase throttle to about the halfway point. I'm using a Futaba T7C transmitter and Hobbywing 4 in 1 20amp esc board which I'm thinking may be the problem here though the Hobbywing works fine with other fc boards. I've done all the usual things like calibrating esc's through the receiver, setting the timing to low on esc's, resetting transmitter, playing with the settings in Assistant. Before I swap out the esc's I thought I'd give it a go on the forum and see if this is a known issue or I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

So it's not an esc issue. I swapped out the Hobbywing with Turnigy plush 30 amp esc's and the motors still spin up when Naza M is armed with throttle at zero. Only now the motors stay spinning and increase in rpm after about half throttle. Transmitter is my next best guess.

Just in case anyone else is googling this issue and is new to the whole Naza M system, this is apparently normal way it arms - with props spinning at idle. Only way I found out is by just installing the props and letting it rip. Evidently this is so well known that no one even wanted to respond to such an obvious issue.

Maverick

Patience is a virtue Earl. I have had threads posted for days, before I got a reply.

I think I know what you're referring to..... I first noticed it, on my friend's hexacopter. My quad doesn't do it, so I just assumed its something to do with 6 motors, instead of 4. Then I noticed the exact same thing on my Y6, so it must be normal.....

Maverick.

Thanks Maverick. LOL, yes, I've been on RC Groups too long. As it turns out, doing things in the wrong order will cause this problem. The correct order for me was:
1. program esc's for (in my case) normal timing
2. set esc throttle range
3. calibrate transmitter in client
4. set motor mixer "idle speed" to (in my case) low

Once I did all that stuff, it now arms with the motors NOT spinning until I increase throttle.

Incredibly stable hover and pretty good wind performance once I got the gains adjusted. Gimbal output could use a few more adjustments in the client - there is no way to adjust for overshoot without slowing speed down. GPS is next so the fun is just beginning :)

Maverick

Thanks Maverick. LOL, yes, I've been on RC Groups too long. As it turns out, doing things in the wrong order will cause this problem. The correct order for me was:
1. program esc's for (in my case) normal timing
2. set esc throttle range
3. calibrate transmitter in client
4. set motor mixer "idle speed" to (in my case) low

Once I did all that stuff, it now arms with the motors NOT spinning until I increase throttle.

Incredibly stable hover and pretty good wind performance once I got the gains adjusted. Gimbal output could use a few more adjustments in the client - there is no way to adjust for overshoot without slowing speed down. GPS is next so the fun is just beginning :)

Glad you got it sorted - that's what this forum is all about! Helping each other.....

Maverick.