Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

Pmsawy

Hi everyone, I've flying the X6 for several weeks now, quite amazing...I also bought the X4 on that holiday offer and upgraded the X6 to now 16 waypoints. I use the D-link for longer range wifi. A few things I have noticed.

1. These (upgraded) waypoints still have distance limitation, I think 500m. If u try to put a waypoint outside that, it will never turn blue when attempting to upload. I was under the impression those holiday special 10 waypoints did not any distance limitation.

2. Auto take off from the tablet is great! Back landing great too, but must remember to have the throttle down and switch to manual mode when it touches down. I'm finding I prefer to take over manually when it starts descending. (Make sure your throttle is at least half stick and you're not too close to the ground. If u want to abort a Back landing triggered either by tablet or Tx, the only way to abort is a quick switch to manual, then back to auto hovering if u want. Another thing on back landing. Let's say u are 100m altitude when you hit the switch mode or select "back landing" button on tablet. The YS appears to hold that 100m altitude until it hovers over home, then descends. If below 20m, when you activate Back Landing, it will lift to that altitude before searching for home.

3. The "Fly to PP" also seems to have a range limit of your wifi; I tried to send it out about 3/4mile. It started on the mission, but when it got out a ways, maybe 1000ft, it went into GPS auto hover mode...bummer! I Thought that fly to PP was unlimited distance. but I can do PP one after the other.

4. If doing a waypoint mission outside of the wifi range, make sure you put waypoint 1 near u so you can manually advance to 2nd.waypoint. I made the mistake of putting it far, but within the waypoints limit. I saw the tablet lose communication on the way, and had walk out to the field a ways with the router/tablet until I got close enough to Waypoint 1 to send the command to change target to waypoint 2. After that, in continues on the mission, regardless of if u lose tablet(wifi D-link) connection along the way.
Anyone got any other tip/tricks on features? Here's a question I have...in "Follow Me", and I start climbing a mountain, will the YS maintain the same distance/altitude RELATIVE TO ME in motion? Have not tried that yet, just on flat ground..
Great thread,

vispaaja

Does the YS have a true manual flying mode like DJI's? When CH5 is in the 1st position, the craft always levels itself when I release the sticks. I'd want the heli to act like a normal SRH. Tried to change Ctrl type from 2 to 1, but that didn't help. What's the purpose of that function?

Dale UK

I have sent you the relevant images from my system. I am sure when you make the changes it will work.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

I'm in communication with Peter at Zero - re trying to make my Google Nexus 7 tablet connect directly to the YS-X6 mini Wifi unit - but not sure what he's trying to tell me ...

He says when the mini Wifi unit flashes a blue led only - this means 'external router mode' only is available. The mini Wifi unit has to be flashing a red led to allow direct phone/pad communication?

Problem is, I can't seem to configure the mini Wifi unit to flash red led - only blue?

The software 'SeanyConfig.exe' runs ok (I am using Windows 7 - 64bit) - the Com Port opens ok - then I press 'Apply' button and nothing happens. Nothing happens for 'AP' or 'Infra station' mode.

I have tried plugging in prolific serial lead into YS-X6 Mini Wifi unit using both ways (ie. black wire towards outside of unit AND black wire towards middle of unit - same nothing result).

I can access the YS-X6 Mini Wifi using my big TP-LINK router by entering 192.168.1.254 - wifimodII - but I do not know which settings to change - or if I can use this method to set 'PTP' or 'Router' mode?

I have checked on many forums but can not find a solution.

Do I have an older Zero mini Wifi unit that just doesn't offer direct phone/tablet connection?

Any thoughts would be appreciated ....

cheers, Dale

johnno

Rob

I'm in communication with Peter at Zero - re trying to make my Google Nexus 7 tablet connect directly to the YS-X6 mini Wifi unit - but not sure what he's trying to tell me ...

He says when the mini Wifi unit flashes a blue led only - this means 'external router mode' only is available. The mini Wifi unit has to be flashing a red led to allow direct phone/pad communication?

Problem is, I can't seem to configure the mini Wifi unit to flash red led - only blue?

The software 'SeanyConfig.exe' runs ok (I am using Windows 7 - 64bit) - the Com Port opens ok - then I press 'Apply' button and nothing happens. Nothing happens for 'AP' or 'Infra station' mode.

I have tried plugging in prolific serial lead into YS-X6 Mini Wifi unit using both ways (ie. black wire towards outside of unit AND black wire towards middle of unit - same nothing result).

I can access the YS-X6 Mini Wifi using my big TP-LINK router by entering 192.168.1.254 - wifimodII - but I do not know which settings to change - or if I can use this method to set 'PTP' or 'Router' mode?

I have checked on many forums but can not find a solution.

Do I have an older Zero mini Wifi unit that just doesn't offer direct phone/tablet connection?

Any thoughts would be appreciated ....

cheers, Dale

Hi Dale, I am running same as you, Nexus 7 mines connected directly installed very quickly I just get RED Led I have never seen a Blue, but range is a problem doing this way so I have got the 900mhz Data Links so the wifi earth station gets no more than 2 or 3 Metres from me.
Cheers, John.

robone

Hi Dale

Did you get a little card with yours? If not, then it is definitely the older version and also because it has the blue light. So, if it is the older version you can only user a router or a wifi hotspot on your Nexus.

Cheers
Rob

johnno

i Rob, just noticed on your site about the X6 P version, you can update to P do you know how much they are charging? Hows the X4 going have you sold many over the X6?
Cheers, john.

robone

Hi John

They are charging US$89 plus shipping. It is best to go through your dealer. That way he can send a number at a time and you can save on shipping costs. Well that is what I am doing for my customers.

As for what Have I sold more of. Well the YS-X6 has been selling for a lot longer than the X4, so it is difficult to tell. But things always take a while to get going so I think the X4 will eventually be a bigger seller than the X6

Cheers
Rob

vulcan2go

(I posted this in error on the X4 thread - so lets try again....)

I'm slowly making progress with my X6 but I have hit a bit of a brick wall and could do with some advice.

I've got communication via my android device and I can see all the settings etc. The motors arm however, this is where I have a problem.

Despite multiple attempts at calibrating the throttle / esc (I've done calibrated each ESC (on their own, all together, a combination of both and I've also tried changing the throttle end points to maximum and then re-calibrating) - the motors do not spool up at the same rate until at 50% throttle. If I drop the throttle to less than 25% one, two or even three of the motors stop (not good for real flight!!).

I think I know that the problem is with the ESC's which are the DJI 30a Opto's. After trawling through numerous threads until my eyes bleed, some suggest that the DJI esc's are not compatible and others seem not to have had a problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received - I want to get this in the air!!

Cheers,

Kari

Is this happening also when setting mode is active? This is totally normal if you are in any flight mode with altitude hold, motors will spool up and settle when throttle is over 50% and copter is in the air.

vulcan2go

Is this happening also when setting mode is active? This is totally normal if you are in any flight mode with altitude hold, motors will spool up and settle when throttle is over 50% and copter is in the air.

Hi Kari, thanks for coming back.

I have two 3 position switches, the first switches between manual (pos 1), altitude (pos 2) and GPS (pos 3). The second 3 position switch I understand is not active unless switch one is in GPS (position 3).

According to the flashing lights on the LED these switches are active and correctly assigned (I think).

I understood that I should spool up in manual mode - ie both switches in position 1. If this is the case I would have expected the motors to all spool up at the same rate and not turn off until the throttle is at its lowest position. Am I missing something because I would have expected a linear reaction to my throttle position otherwise if I am in flight and I reduce the stick to anything less than 25% its going to drop out of the sky!

I have tried various combinations without success.

Cheers,

robone

Channel 6 Position 3 is for RTH.... Position 2 is for waypoints and pos 1 is for GPS mode. Please be careful. I always keep mine in Position 1. You can check the settings in you PC gcs on the near top right hand side.

Can I make a suggestion. Try take off in GPS mode (Autohover ) Channel 5 pos 3 and Channel 6 pos 1. You will find that it should be all okay. If it is not 100% level, the motors on the lower side will come on long before the motors on the higher side. The problem is everyone is too cautious. The sytem works well. If you find that as it lifts off it tends to tip, then you know there is a problem with the wiring of the motors or the props are not on correct, but other than that it should just take off an you will find you have a great flight.