Zenmuse z15g calibration issues

Hi guys,
I'm having some trouble getting my zenmuse to calibrate. I just got the whole s800 back up in the air after it flipped over on take off and broke a couple of arms. The z15g on it didn't sustain any visual impact or damage, and the first time I took it out shooting after repair it worked alright. It did calibrate incorrectly once where it finished the whole process with the lens pointing backwards at the roll axis servo but that has happened a couple of times in the past. The next day I took it out again and it didn't calibrate successfully even once. It would just spin and spin wildly, which made for some pretty nauseating video. I attempted to physically guide it to where it should be and it started the calibration process over again but would end up with the lens pointing backwards every time. The kicker is that without the weight of the camera it calibrates itself every time, albeit with some leveling and drift issues. Everything is pretty well balanced, are my gimbal motors not supplying enough torque? That seems hard to believe watching the rate and which it can spin itself, but I can't shake the suspicion that the roll axis is having some issues to that end because it doesn't like to flip over. I've attached a couple videos showing what I've described above, I'd love to hear your ideas.
Thanks,
-Sean

Successful calibration without camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MnsoIdvTds

Failed calibration with camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0B5ynH4ts

Tahoe Ed

There are no user serviceable parts on the Zen series of gimbals. When I was in China, I got a chance to watch them repairing the Zens. It is a slow tedious process. They do have the software and jigs to adjust things back to optimal condition. I have had a H3-2D fall from 100' up and be just fine but then had a Z15 for Nex5N fall 5' and it was totally destroyed. It is all how it hits and what it hits. They are really delicate instruments that will not take much abuse. I would contact the LA service center since you are both in CA and see if they can effect a repair.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
If you ask me the balance has been knocked out by the crash. You may find that the whole Roll/Tilt section has rotated vertically around the rear horizontal tube. A Z15-GH2 will calibrate with no camera, a Z15-GH3 will not. It has to have the camera in place - and obviously balanced.

Fleabane

Can I just ask what caused the flip on take off, I've just had mine do the same and assumed I had knocked the right stick just before take off, similar damage as well

Sorry I can't help with the Zen problem

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thanks for the input MombasaFlash. Your assistance is always welcome.

Ooo-err ... steady on Ed. You don't want to get too complimentary about me and risk endangering your new position. I suspect my name is about as popular as a pig in a mosque within the DJI echelons! I am one of those filthy Western infidels with unsightly body hair who calls a spade a spade. Rather than the flowery Eastern preference of a God given liberating implement to till the gardens of Nirhvana.

When they do it well I will remark upon it with approving words. But when they do it badly I will blast them with what I deem to be a commensurate degree of condemnation. I have always applauded the DJI concept but unfortunately the implementation leaves much to be desired, with far too many equipment failures or poorly prepared releases and an abysmal record in owning up to these failures and doing the right thing by replacing/refunding/recalling the faulty items. Their dealers are not treated that much better and are invariably relatively powerless, often having to fund these replacements under guarantee plus shipping from their own pockets.

The trouble is, the Chinese never learned to play cricket!

Can I just ask what caused the flip on take off, I've just had mine do the same and assumed I had knocked the right stick just before take off, similar damage as well

Sorry I can't help with the Zen problem

I'm not 100 percent sure of the cause of the crash but my suspicion is that I didn't recalibrate the gps after upgrading the firmware.

There are no user serviceable parts on the Zen series of gimbals. When I was in China, I got a chance to watch them repairing the Zens. It is a slow tedious process. They do have the software and jigs to adjust things back to optimal condition. I have had a H3-2D fall from 100' up and be just fine but then had a Z15 for Nex5N fall 5' and it was totally destroyed. It is all how it hits and what it hits. They are really delicate instruments that will not take much abuse. I would contact the LA service center since you are both in CA and see if they can effect a repair.

So much of maintaining these machines is a slow tedious process, I can take a little more at this point. I've been talking with my dealer to try and figure out what to do next, thanks ed!

Fleabane

Ahh okay, do you mean the compass re calibration? I've never done anything with the GPS other than configure it's placement within the software - am I missing something? Always probable!!

If you ask me the balance has been knocked out by the crash. You may find that the whole Roll/Tilt section has rotated vertically around the rear horizontal tube. A Z15-GH2 will calibrate with no camera, a Z15-GH3 will not. It has to have the camera in place - and obviously balanced.

I've got the gh2, interesting to hear that there is a difference like that between those to zenmuse models. I'm not sure I follow your suggestion that the Roll/Tilt section has rotated around the rear tube. I don't think it took enough impact to rotate anything but the brushless parts, and those spin freely anyway.The balance isn't perfect but I'd be comfortable saying it's at least 90% there.

Fleabane, I can't remember exactly where I read it that that was a necessary step in upgrading the firmware, and again I can't confirm that as the cause of the crash, but after putting the whole thing back together and recalibrating the compass it worked fine. It doesn't seem like the gps would control anything but the orientation and position lock though, so I'm still as lost as you are.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
If the rear horizontal tube has taken enough of a whack to move it, it will show up as a loss of Roll balance and the whole Roll/Tilt tray will appear top-heavy and want to fall to either side. The original Z15 would rotate all the way upside down. If the Roll axis balance is still okay then the Roll/Tilt tray has not rotated around that rear tube. If it does rotate the Roll/Tilt tray will have been pushed upwards by the impact.