Zenmuse Z15 Setup Video

Anyone seen any videos at all on setup of the Zenmuse on the S800 all I find is demo videos of footage and startup of the gimbal no one that I can find has went through setup on a Zenmuse anyone out there have a good setup video of this product. :)

dolby

Needs more bacon!
There really isn't much to setup. Mounting it and connecting it is very straight forward. There is no tuning or anything.

Mount to frame
Connect power and DJI bus
Put in camera and turn it all on
Press record and fly!
If you have a 2nd remote you can connect the receiver up to the labeled ports on the z15

Is there something specific you want to see?

No just have mine on the way and was curious. Did not know if i had to have a se ond controller or not i know it would be ideal but one channel is all that is really needed to take still photos right ? When doing video you just prrss record before you lift off. Just wanted alittle more insight before it arrives.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

dolby

Needs more bacon!
No you dont need a second controller you dont even need to connect any controller and it will work (just power and dji bus), in fact if you have spare channels on your main controller you can pick and choose what you want to connect it to on the Z15, if you just wanted to control tilt just plug an rx cable on the tilt channel. It's very flexible.

The software is only needed for upgrading the firmware and configuring your transmitter to properly select the optional modes.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
The only thing that might have you scratching your head a little is where to mount the GCU (little box where everything plugs into).

I put mine here with some double sided tape (orientation doesn't matter):

Sorry for the low quality pictures, my nex is in the gimbal at the moment. :)

Attachments

• gcu-1.jpg
    gcu-1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 456
  • gcu-2.jpg
    gcu-2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 495
Last edited by a moderator:

dolby

Needs more bacon!
This is what the notes say...

What’s changed?
  • Fix the problem that the gimbal will not move after power on.
  • Fix the problem that pitch cannot turn back to center after self-test.
  • The three axis will be back to center after reset and uncontrollable in the FPV Mode (Reset).
  • The control method of Orientation-locked Mode is changed.
What’s new?
  • The gimbal can be controlled to be forward or down in the FPV Mode (Reset) by a 2-position switch.
  • Supported camera and lens types:
    • GH2 with Lumix G14 mm/F2.5
    • GH2 with Lumix G20 mm/F1.7
http://www.dji-innovations.com/products/zenmuse-z15/downloads/

Doesn't list that they fixed the off level horizon issue if you spin the copter 360 quickly. It's not a huge issue but they mentioned they were working on it a few weeks ago.

What firmware are you flying on your wkm ? I really dont want a uncontrollable crash tbat i have been hearing about on 5.12 and that is what im on :(

dolby

Needs more bacon!
I'm running 5.12 on my wkm, the crashes are with 5.12 on a octocopter only and they have released a beta version 5.12a to fix that. It had to do with the 2 extra motor ports not working correctly when in an Octo config. Since my S800 is a hexa all is fine and I dont like running firmware labeled beta so I am still on 5.12.

Other reports of crashes in the past month are from the ESC's overheating which they have replaced every ones, the pins coming loose from where the wkm connects to the frame for the escs, older wkm diode issues on some of the motor ports. These should all be fixed if your rig is new.

More info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677105&highlight=s800+recal

Brand new have don three flights so far but have hundreds on my f450 and 550 with naza thanks for the info

Did see a recent tobic on thus forum titles f550 falls from sky like a brick and they are blaming that on the 5.12?

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Hmm no I havent, running 5.12 on my S800 and a Y6 and have about 4 dozen 5 - 12min flights with no bad events. Can you link the thread?

jmanphotos

Can anyone tell me if the 2 pin video input cable with the male end on it comes with the iOSD or Z15 or does one have to wire it up ?
Basically I got a male end chord with the Z15 but it has loose ends and no 2-pin plug ....