Zenmuse Z15 5D MARK III

Quinton

I did not but the fit is very tight. Maybe it would be possible by making alterations to the gimbal but it can be difficult and frustrating. The Zen 5D is designed for Canon 5d Mark II and III only.
So much easier way is Movi M5. Plus you get a gimbal that probably works. Zen 5 does not. At least the two I had did not.

Yes I fully understand, as I have one remember.
And mine also does not work as it is supposed to (gimbal frustrations).
Good luck with the M5 when you finally get it, and keep us posted how it goes.

Tuukkuli

Here´s how my second Zenmuse Z15-5D behaved. It was shipped from the factory and it was supposed to be checked before shipping. So that I would not get another defective one. The video speaks for itself.

After this I gave up and managed to return the gimbal to my reseller and change it into a Movi M5. I feel happy about this, but also sorry for the ones that are stuck with this expensive, non working gimbal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,
Has anyone who's testing the Z15 5D gimbal tested the Nex5 or GH2/3 gimbal on there aircraft ?

I have 2 Z15 Nex5r with horizon problems but I have not tested it in the 360 pan mode as I do not have retract landing gear, I will give it a test when I fly next.
I was being to think it was the wookong with the problem, Ive also tested 2 DJI IMU and no change in horizon issue.

What picture profile do you run on the 5D3?

When we shoot, its always in manual, 24 fps, 1/50th shutter speed. Exposure is determined by ISO and aperture. Generally we stop down to f/ 11 or f/16, however in this video, we were likely at f/5.6 or so. My partner is a pro steadicam operator, and in the movie industry, 24fps is standard. They only vary this if they are shooting for slow motion or some other effect.

cjayres

Zenmuse 5D Problems (but not all bad)

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread for a good few weeks. I too have issues, but they are minor. The main one is no tilt down on reset and a slight horizon drift. However I consider the quality of the stability to be the key reason for using this gimbal and on that front it performs. I have been in touch with DJI in Germany and they tell me an update is in the works but cannot give a timeframe. If they could be more responsive to this forum I am sure people would feel more confident, until then I share the frustration with not knowing when the advertised product will emerge.

Quinton

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread for a good few weeks. I too have issues, but they are minor. The main one is no tilt down on reset and a slight horizon drift. However I consider the quality of the stability to be the key reason for using this gimbal and on that front it performs. I have been in touch with DJI in Germany and they tell me an update is in the works but cannot give a timeframe. If they could be more responsive to this forum I am sure people would feel more confident, until then I share the frustration with not knowing when the advertised product will emerge.

I don't think DJI Europe can be more responsive as they seem to be in the dark also.
My first reponse from them was they were unaware of this problem, and to send the gimbal back to them for repair, where my reseller told me not to send it back as its a firmware issue as all the ones he had has the same issue.
Last week I emailed DJI Europe and the European manager (cc) regarding what was going on and if there was a timescale for the fix, and I got no reply at all.

I am not so happy about waiting for something to be fixed, especiallly when I am not given any answers.

I would like to ask about your reset, when I select reset it is supposed to pan and tilt back up to centre (it only pans)
You are supposed to have a switch to tilt 90 degrees down which also does not work.
Is this what you are seeing, or something different?

cjayres

Hi,

What you describe is what I am seeing also. On the Euro support side, the initial response I had was the same as yours and they seemed unaware. I pressed them on it and they responded as follows:

31 March - Thanks for your request. Yes this will be fixed in future software update
31 March- Sorry don't have any more info yet about this. To be honest I don't know why it is not there on the 5D because all the other gimbal have it But I am sure it will be in the next update again
9 April - As DJI EU is not involved in any R&D activity I don't know exactly (when upate is coming), but my last info was within this month

That is all I know at present.

cjayres

I have started commenting on dji youtube promo vids, to get them to fix the zenmuse 5d. If we all do this we may make them notice.

cjayres

Response from DJI

OMG after posting pleas for help on dji youtube vids i got a reply from terry.wan@dji.com asking for details of the problems. I have sent an email to him with the oroblems and asking fir a detailed response with estimated fix dates. Fingers crossed, i will keep you posted.

cjayres

I have a reply:

Hi, Chris,
Thanks for the feedback. For the issues you reported, we are working on them already.
Issue 1. Already noted. Can be fixed.
Issue 2. Engineers are working on it. Pls kindly give us more time.

Thank you.
Terry

Best regards,

TerryDJI Innovations
http://www.dji.com

I will ask for an ETA

So again, why were these gimbal's released? I have a DIY alexmos handheld gimbal that is more dialed I when I pan. I ordered 2 of these to have a spare if one fails...which is useless
Then they should advertise these faults when selling and say " Kinda works, We have a fix coming soon"
Going to get my money back for the one that is more crippled, and wait for a fix like everyone else. Paypal to the rescue please.
Not professional at all....

I have a reply:

Hi, Chris,
Thanks for the feedback. For the issues you reported, we are working on them already.
Issue 1. Already noted. Can be fixed.
Issue 2. Engineers are working on it. Pls kindly give us more time.

Thank you.
Terry

Best regards,

TerryDJI Innovations
http://www.dji.com

I will ask for an ETA

Quinton

I emailed DJI Europe 12 days ago and got no reply, so this morning I emailed the same people again, this time saying that I will get trading standards involved if I do not get a response.
Just got a reply, I wont paste it here as they do have a confidentiality footer.

Basically they said it was out of their hands in Europe, but they did ask for an ETA for a fix from 2 of the R and D Department in China that was CC in on the email.

Tuukkuli

It is so sad and tragicomical that one has to threaten DJI EU reps in order to get a response. And it is also sad that they clearly released the gimbal way too early. What were they thinking? That people are happy with ridiculously off horizon and do not complain?

I guess it really is out of the DJI Europe hands. They must feel frustrated as well. But the least they could do is answer emails without threatening them.

I am so happy I managed to exchange mine into Movi M5. I will receive it this week and tell you guys how it works. I certainly hope for a happy closure to this thing. But even if there will be one, big damage has already been caused to the early owners of this gimbal.

Matt Wild

Hello, I've got horizon issues with my gimbal too - surprise, surprise! I have spoken to the UK dealer I bought mine from and he told me that they have sold lot's of these with no issues.
I got in contact with DJI Europe and they to told me they are not aware of any horizon issues and that it could be an IMU issue. They asked me to return the gimbal to them for a full calibration, which they say will fix my issues. Having read about people with the same problems as me on here, I am reluctant to send it off to Germany and wait god knows how long for it to come back - probably with the same horizon drift.
Not sure what to do now! I have work booked in that I was hopping to use this for.
I'm really fed up like all of you guys.

Not sure how DJI Europe can deny these problems when clearly you guys are contacting them ,just trying to cover their ***. You can guarantee that they read these forums and know what's going on. All the need to do is admit that this faulty get a firmware fix for it, stop selling the current defective units and fix this.

Hello, I've got horizon issues with my gimbal too - surprise, surprise! I have spoken to the UK dealer I bought mine from and he told me that they have sold lot's of these with no issues.
I got in contact with DJI Europe and they to told me they are not aware of any horizon issues and that it could be an IMU issue. They asked me to return the gimbal to them for a full calibration, which they say will fix my issues. Having read about people with the same problems as me on here, I am reluctant to send it off to Germany and wait god knows how long for it to come back - probably with the same horizon drift.
Not sure what to do now! I have work booked in that I was hopping to use this for.
I'm really fed up like all of you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rentakill

Not sure how DJI Europe an deny these problems when clearly you guys are contacting them ,just trying to cover their ***. You can guarantee that they read these forums and know what's going on. All the need to do is admit that this faulty get a firmware fix for it, stop selling the current defective units and fix this.
Being new to this industry and currently getting a Skyjib X4 built with zenmuse Z15 5D setup. When you look at the cost of these units you would expect the best build and service. From what im reading none of this is being offered. Whats a good alternative for a a canon 5d.