Zenmuse/Nex7 raw footage question

R6Media

I was just curious how everyone else's raw footage was looking before doing any post work to it.
Mine has a really obvious shake to it even though I have the anti-vibration kit installed as well.
It's easily correctable with Warp Stabilizer in AE/Premiere but I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be necessary on every one of my shots which so far it has been totally necessary.
Do you all share in my experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

can you upload some of you footage? I think the anti-vibration kit helps a lot in S800 stabilization but not in camera vibration, I think I had less vibration in my footage with the stock mount than now with the anti-vibration kit installed I will post my video of the anti-vibration kit test tonight you can see if it is the same that you have.

R6Media

Sure thing. I'll have it up tomorrow.
Its very twitchy. Quite annoying. You'll see.
I look forward to seeing what you have too OaxacaHeli. If it's really the anti vibration kit, I'll be taking it off asap.

Oaxaca is correct. The anti-vibe kit really has nothing to do with the vibrios of the camera, or minimizing the vibration of the copter itself. The purpose is to isolate the IMU from those vibrations so that the Wookong does not do the flip of death or other tepid stuff because of the vibes. The EVO arms are what was intended to help reduce the overall vibrations of the S800.

But back to the video question... I am dealing with a similar thing right now. Actually, when I first built my S800 I didn't have any vibes in the video. Then two weeks later is started getting some. Then I had to do some redesign work due to a crash, and the vibes went away. Then two weeks ago I did some changes and my video now has some vibes, but only when I'm in GPS mode. I'm still sorting that out. I have noticed over the last few weeks as I try to sort this out that small configuration changes help the issue. For example, I know that if I have the landing ear up, the vibes go away. Also, I have swapped some arms around and that helped lessen the vibes. Last night I got all but one of my arms switched over to EVO arms and I hope that might do the trick.

R6Media, I think your problem can be the shutter speed of the camera, What are your camera settings, make this test, fly in S mode and use 1/100 or 1/125 and see if that makes the difference, try to balance all props, My S800 vibration is not even close of what you have but it is more than I had before the anti-vibration kit, I can not say, that the vibration is from the kit as I had two crashes for my mistake on IMU orientation, i will balance all my props as this was shoot with a new set of props after the crash.
this is with anti-vibration kit installed
http://vimeo.com/72016192
and this was shoot before ABK
http://vimeo.com/70259016

Also check your sd card, I have seen video like yours when trying to record 4k video in a go pro with and old and slow sd card

What are your NEX 7 settings?

Oaxaca is correct. The anti-vibe kit really has nothing to do with the vibrios of the camera, or minimizing the vibration of the copter itself. The purpose is to isolate the IMU from those vibrations so that the Wookong does not do the flip of death or other tepid stuff because of the vibes. The EVO arms are what was intended to help reduce the overall vibrations of the S800.

But back to the video question... I am dealing with a similar thing right now. Actually, when I first built my S800 I didn't have any vibes in the video. Then two weeks later is started getting some. Then I had to do some redesign work due to a crash, and the vibes went away. Then two weeks ago I did some changes and my video now has some vibes, but only when I'm in GPS mode. I'm still sorting that out. I have noticed over the last few weeks as I try to sort this out that small configuration changes help the issue. For example, I know that if I have the landing ear up, the vibes go away. Also, I have swapped some arms around and that helped lessen the vibes. Last night I got all but one of my arms switched over to EVO arms and I hope that might do the trick.

ProPilot please don't forget to post the results of the EVO arms!!!

thanks in advance

So I flew today with all EVO arms. The video I shot tonight was improved over what I shot last weekend., but still has a little vibration in some clips. So I don't know all the factors, and I can specifically nail down the EVO arms as the solution. But in tonight's video, it did behave better. We'll see over the next few days of shooting video.

So I flew today with all EVO arms. The video I shot tonight was improved over what I shot last weekend., but still has a little vibration in some clips. So I don't know all the factors, and I can specifically nail down the EVO arms as the solution. But in tonight's video, it did behave better. We'll see over the next few days of shooting video.

I have ordered my Evo arms from TBM please keep updating the results I'm not in a hurry to unsolder-solder 42 points on my S800 if I do not hear a diffence is made.

R6Media any news on your setup?

R6Media

I got to fly today a bit. Shutter speed didnt make any sort of difference. My Nex settings are pretty standard. My memory card is a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s class 10 but I'm thinking about switching over to a Sony card. I have another issue that I think (hope) a sony card will help correct - overheating while shooting video. It's annoying.

Anyway. The twitch seems to be in the gimbal itself though I don't really notice it on the ground. Since the Zenmuse is linked to the FC I had a theory that since my compass wasn't adjusted for magnetic deviation that maybe that would help matters. So I realigned my compass 11 degrees to towards the west since I'm in Virginia. I also removed my landing gear and took away some of the built in rigidity.
Today's video is a little better but its definitely not as smooth as I'd like it. Hmmmmm

Sorry to hear that Tim. Have you tried shooting video from the gimbal, but not flying and you holding the MR and/or gimbal and do a lot of fast motion of swooping and sweeping and swuuping (lol... just invented that), but your arms won't have the MR vibration, so you can hopefully determine if ya a gimbal/camera issue, or MR vibration issue.

As for me and the EVO, I've now been on two outings (each of four flights), and my video seems to have stabilized, though I still wouldn't say it's 100% conclusively because of the arms.

I got to fly today a bit. Shutter speed didnt make any sort of difference. My Nex settings are pretty standard. My memory card is a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s class 10 but I'm thinking about switching over to a Sony card. I have another issue that I think (hope) a sony card will help correct - overheating while shooting video. It's annoying.

Anyway. The twitch seems to be in the gimbal itself though I don't really notice it on the ground. Since the Zenmuse is linked to the FC I had a theory that since my compass wasn't adjusted for magnetic deviation that maybe that would help matters. So I realigned my compass 11 degrees to towards the west since I'm in Virginia. I also removed my landing gear and took away some of the built in rigidity.
Today's video is a little better but its definitely not as smooth as I'd like it. Hmmmmm

Sorry to hear you still have the problem have you tried to balance your props, if your props are balanced try to run the motors without props one by one and try to see if vibration from one of them is different from the rest.

good luck

Oh, by the way, have you tried Attitude mode? My vibrations seem to only exist when I'm in GPS mode, though today even GPS mode was better.

R6Media

OaxacaHeli and ProPilotWannaBe... this problem is solved!
So ever since I got my zenmuse, i noticed there was a little bind point in my roll axis. With the aircraft un-powered and hand spinning the gimbal roll, you could definitely feel and hear that something was rubbing. You could spin it and it would stop at nearly the same location every time. If it were the $1.00 wheel on The Price is Right, I'd be a rich man. :)
Totally not something the Zen should do. When the aircraft was powered, my Zen would "creak" Dealer was perplexed.
My dealer told me I had 2 options. I could send it back to China and be without it for 3-4 weeks, or they'd offer me a trade in on a new one (not free) booooooo. "A Trade in" on a unit that is only 2 months old and has been this way since I pulled it out of the box. I thought that was kinda crappy.

So I came home and started troubleshooting.

Even though it's not noticeable I think there's a slight flaw in the roundness of the roll axis housing because it would rub in a consistent spot. Funny thing was, it was simply rubbing on a collar that attaches the lower cross bar and roll servo to the vertical tube for the pan axis. As the screw got snug and drew the collar tight (RED CIRCLE), it created a pressure that brought the tab inside the roll housing outward creating the rub.

View attachment 13749

The solution? a little loctite and i loosened the screw about 3/4 turn. Instantly the rub was gone but the best part and unexpected consequence... MY RAW FOOTAGE IS ROCK SOLID STABLE.
I'm soooo freaking psyched!!!!

Attachments

• 20130926_005637.jpg
    20130926_005637.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 353