Zenmuse limits question

R6Media

Any thoughts as to why the Zenmuse would limit roll angle to 25 degrees left or right? Seems strange to me though I'm sure someone had a good reason.

Also I'm wondering why pan angle is limited in Orientation-locked Mode to 44 degrees left or right and then drifts back to center. what's the point of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

I ask the same to my dealer and told me that this mode is regular when the MR is configured to a single transmitter and regularly commands are on the knobs, so no movement is drifting, but it gets at the point that your knobs dialed in otherwise you would have to return it to 0 to stop him from moving, which becomes complicated, and the limit of rotation is calculated to prevent the landing gear out in the video.

Tim, the purpose of the Zenmuse roll is only to keep the horizon level... not so that you can get creative and do wierd shots. ;)
I also wonder if putting the camera in a vertical alignment probably has different balance dynamics. Keep in mind that brushless servos function only when the camera is properly balanced.

R6Media

Thanks guys - that actually makes sense. Yeah I couldn't think of a great application for roll.

Hey Tim, what do you think about this... on my Zenmuse I've noticed that on the Roll axis when I spin it around there's kind of a "bind point" almost like something is rubbing against the motor housing at a consistent point when i spin it 360. I've also just noticed that when i roll It i seem to have a heavier side (the tilt motor side consistently wants to drop down.)
Think I should be concerned? I'm not even sure who I would take issues up with since i hear DJI's support is absolutely terrible.

Tim, it is quite important that the gimbal be properly balanced and free to spin. This is because brushless servos shouldn't be strained to keep the camera balanced... it shortens the life of them from what I understand. Are you saying it is out of balance with the camera installed? If it's just a slight imbalance, you might be fine, but you might be able to adjust the forward/back slider the camera mounts to see if you can balance it a bit better.

As for the bind point, in the tilt (up/down) axis twice I had a little bind point where the rotation slowed down. One time it was because of the wires coming out of the camera controls, so I had to tweak those cable positions so they wouldn't rub on the gimbal. Another time it's because of a hard landing and it knocked one side of the tilt arms slightly out of position, so it didn't spin freely. That one I was much more nervous about adjusting, but I had to loosen one of the screen to realign it. You definitely do not want to do that if the gimbal is new and maybe flawed out of the factory. Have you talked to RCRUS about it? You're nearby, so wouldn't it be easiest to take to them for them to look at it?

R6Media

I figured out why the tilt axis wants to drop based on another thread i discovered here.
I found a great deal on some spare batteries for the NEX7. Oddly enough, these batteries are lighter than the Sony one. hence the drop to one side. Man, I'm gonna need to find a gram scale or something. How funny that these tolerances are so small. I'm not complaining, I find the precision incredible.

As far as the rubbing issue, yeah maybe i should contact RCRUS and schedule a visit. Thanks Tim.