Zenmuse H3-2D burning up with IMRC 600mW TX!

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
View attachment 13395View attachment 13396
I have a Flamewheel F550 with the Wookong-M and a Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal running a GoPro Hero3. The Zenmuse H3-2D is wired directly on to the power distribution board where the battery leads are soldered. I have been running it this way ever since I got the gimbal and all has been well.

Now, I want to set up video telemetry. So I wired an ImmersionRC 600mW video TX directly to the power distribution board and connected the unit to the cable that comes with the gimbal. It all seems to work! I can receive a lower resolution video picture coming off the GoPro using my UNO 5800 RX and display it on my 10.1 RMRC LCD. Awesome! BUT…
I noticed that the IMRC video TX is really hot - almost burning me to the touch. And the Zenuse gimbal is really hot behind the GoPro. I never ever noticed the gimbal getting this hot before.
Of course, I am thinking that the video TX is just drawing too much power on the distribution bus.
Since the TX is the only thing that has changed in my configuration, I am suspecting it as the culprit. So I guess I'll have to run a separate battery pack for the IMRC video TX.
Any ideas? Comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 398

Razzil

Have a quick read here

Flip it over so the heat-sink is exposed, other than that I've read that it's fine. Doesn't seem right though does it.
When I had it running from 12v on my TBS discovery, it doesn't get hot.
When I had it running from my 4S flight battery on a different fame, it was really hot ... Same Tx.

I'd like to hear opinions though just the same.

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Have a quick read here

Flip it over so the heat-sink is exposed, other than that I've read that it's fine. Doesn't seem right though does it.
When I had it running from 12v on my TBS discovery, it doesn't get hot.
When I had it running from my 4S flight battery on a different fame, it was really hot ... Same Tx.

I'd like to hear opinions though just the same.
Ok. I'll flip it over to the other side. I'm running my system on a 4S LiPo battery, so I should be good with the voltage. The problem that I am seeing is that Zenmuse gimbal is REALLY hot to the touch - never ever noticed that at all so far. So something is not right somewhere.
I am considering running the TX on a separate battery pack to isolate it off the main distribution power bus/board. The Zenmuse is not happy with it on the bus. I believe.

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Well, turns out that it is the back of my GoPro Hero3 that is getting hot! The back plate of the GoPro mount of the Zenmuse H3-2D got up to about 127 degrees in 15 minutes! So I think I'm fine with my wiring and all as there is battery voltage on all the power leads coming off the power pads of the bottom plate. The video Tx gets very hot but I am told that is normal for that unit.
I'm wondering if a firmware update will be on the way to address this issue. My friend who also just purchased a GP H3 says that his too gets warm to the touch.
Anyone else experiencing this issue?