Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The battery simply isnt a problem as it will give you a full days shooting pretty much. As for the SD card, yup that is a pain but you only have to half slide out the camera to get to the card without the need to unplug the cables. Once you get used to it, it really isn't much of a problem at all. Design could be better but it could also be a lot lot worse.

My unit has been nothing but a PITA. It just won't talk to the camera, intermittently for weeks. I'm going to try this latest update then its going back. I give up, just can't get to the bottom of the issue.

That's why I build my own even though I am currently using a zen gh4 too. (not trouble free either.)

Last edited by a moderator:

scotth

My unit has been nothing but a PITA.

I'll second that. Getting anything but a camera setting of 29.97fps to handshake with the gimbal is nearly impossible. Been shooting at C4K, and every single time I repower the craft (battery swap) I have to reboot the camera in 59.94hz at 29.97fps, get my video to show up, then change the system frequency to 24hz, reboot the camera, go in to settings and set my record rate back to C4K. If I'm lucky I still have video (analog) through the gimbal. Every time. I've resorted to hot swapping batteries (I run duals) by unplugging one lipo and temporarily connecting a third, then pulling the tray. Every time. And my video feed is in PAL only, and it suffers from latency and dropped frames.

My GH3 gimbal still has a yaw jerk every now and then.. I've given up on DJI supporting that one any more. In fact the last time I plugged it in to the GH3 Assistant it automatically upgraded to the wrong firmware (2.0) and bricked the gimbal. Fortunately I was able to downgrade it back to 1.4.

Multidp

These engineers and designers are supposed to be smart aren't they? and this is not very smart.

There are always huge challenges when designing camera gimbals specific to the design of a camera. Look at your gimbal. In order to incorporate some sort of opening or door in the gimbal to accommodate the battery removal seems impossible. I've removed GH3's and GH4's numerous times without a problem. Heck the Z15 for the Sony's require they be removed all the way to get to the card and battery. The GH3/4 is a luxury with easy access to the SD card.

Just my .02.

ovdt

Can you use ND filters on GH4? Is it possible to adjust the camera forward and back to balance filter weight?

Stratifier

There are always huge challenges when designing camera gimbals specific to the design of a camera. Look at your gimbal. In order to incorporate some sort of opening or door in the gimbal to accommodate the battery removal seems impossible. I've removed GH3's and GH4's numerous times without a problem. Heck the Z15 for the Sony's require they be removed all the way to get to the card and battery. The GH3/4 is a luxury with easy access to the SD card.

Just my .02.

I don't see a sort of movable door at the back an impossibility, with a bracket along the bottom back of the GH4 to maintain rigidity. Just an idea, I don't know what kind of new problem that would pose, you tell me.) And as I mentioned before, these little cables and mini connections are very exposed for something going in the field.... To make the things short this doesn't look very professional to me. (in the meaning that professional equipment is usually engineered to last, is safe, and relatively idiot proof). I would be curious to see how a Movi is built and if it present the same issues. I think I am going to order some spare cables, just in case. I don't want to be picky, but I am not ready to accept anything and say thank you. After all, DJI didn't give it for free. I've got critics on this unit. I can live with it, but not entirely satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratifier

Can you use ND filters on GH4? Is it possible to adjust the camera forward and back to balance filter weight?
In the manual they advise not to install any filter... (but to be honest I don't think that it would have any effect considering the forces already applied to the gimbal during the flight.) About the balance, there is a bit of room to move it back and forth, but mine is at the max back and is perfectly balanced. Simply adding the lens cover tilts it down...

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Yes, you can put an ND on it. And get the SD card out without moving the camera. The battery lasts for hours so no problem.

Stratifier

Yes, you can put an ND on it. And get the SD card out without moving the camera. The battery lasts for hours so no problem.

I know that the battery lasts amazingly long, I have been using the GH4 for a while. this is not the problem. My problem is that there is no easy access to this battery, or the SD card, and the connections.

Benjamin Kenobi

It seems easy enough to me. You can get to the SD without removing the camera, just tilt it forward. You don't need to access the connections whilst it's in the gimbal, unless you want to get the HDMI feed for review. It's only two screws to remove the camera, seems fine to me considering how good the gimbal is. :nevreness:

It seems easy enough to me. You can get to the SD without removing the camera, just tilt it forward. You don't need to access the connections whilst it's in the gimbal, unless you want to get the HDMI feed for review. It's only two screws to remove the camera, seems fine to me considering how good the gimbal is. :nevreness:

I second that. Once you shoot with the system long enough you can take the camera off, switch out a battery or card, and have it back up in the air within a minute.

Timtim

Hi, being a Nikon man and GH4 newb....I can't get the SD card out while mounted in the Zen. Does the camera have to be balanced right back on the slot to get access? But biggest problem: I had the image on my Black Pearl monitor and changed some settings and it's now only showing on playback. What are the essential settings for live monitor view? (S900 Zen-GH4 camera on 4K 25fps, TV connection 16:9, Rec Mode 4K Down convert Auto) I've tried many permutations!

Buzz_Roavr

Ah the same problem I have. Live view is a nightmare and I'm on my second gimble!

Make sure HDMI TV output is 1080p. Make sure recording is 1080p (you can change later).

Tilt camera down.
Power up and let it initialise with the camera switched off
Turn camera on
Wait, wait, wait some more
Live view will either be nearly instant or upto a few minutes. I don't know why but I think it's the GH4 firmware update.

Once all is working adjust your camera settings.

Re the SD card, just bend the door back slightly and it'll come out.

My live feed is intermittent and sometimes it takes several power cycles to work.

If you have it on an S900 with the short legs then make sure it's blocked up to initialise the first time.

Good luck!

Timtim

Thanks, yes I have the short legs, but thought that was not really an issue? I don't think it's the gimbal because I now have it directly plugged into the Black Pearl via an HDMI lead and I don't have a live view, but image play back does work. I'm on v.1.0 for camera & lens

Benjamin Kenobi

Hi, being a Nikon man and GH4 newb....I can't get the SD card out while mounted in the Zen. Does the camera have to be balanced right back on the slot to get access? But biggest problem: I had the image on my Black Pearl monitor and changed some settings and it's now only showing on playback. What are the essential settings for live monitor view? (S900 Zen-GH4 camera on 4K 25fps, TV connection 16:9, Rec Mode 4K Down convert Auto) I've tried many permutations!

As above, set HDMI out to 1080p, not down convert. Make sure the Zenmuse is set to SD and not HD also. TV connection? You're using HDMI rather than the TV connection setting I believe (not sure on this one). Set to PAL?

Hmm, all I can think of right now.

Timtim

It seems to be working now for FPV etc and I'm not sure why, but strangely I don't get a picture on my Black Pearl monitor direct via HDMI lead. I do get an image with a Nikon and Black Pearl. I also get an image if I plug the GH4 direct into a different HDMI monitor….

Timtim

If you have it on an S900 with the short legs then make sure it's blocked up to initialise the first time.
Good luck!

What happens if you don't block it up for initialisation? It appears to work fine even if it hits the ground (and put something soft under for it)

Buzz_Roavr

On a bench it does but in the field it doesn't always initialise correctly.
I prefer if it doesn't hit the bench as well!

PMaughan

Buzz,

Have you tried changing the HDMI cable? Had a really frustrating day getting the bl@*dy thing to work today, would work on 24fps but not on PAL or NTSC no matter what I did...and then it would drop out every now and again. Thought I might swap the cable but didn't want to do it on location.

Pete

Buzz_Roavr

Pete there's no rhyme or reason to it I'm afraid. Every time its a faff. I think it was the GH4 firmware update that caused the issue but I didn't have the z15 before the update so again can't comment!

When it works it's great but his live view issue is a royal PITA.