Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

Randy Slavin

New to this forum. Very thankful for it!

A couple of (probably easy) questions
I'm flying an S900/Zenmuse Z15 GH4/ Futaba 14SG and unfortunately I can't get my tilt to work. I've been able to map the tilt to the lever on the back of the TX but when I disconnect from the A2 Assistant It doesn't work. I've connected a servo cable from the A2(F2 port) to the GCU Tilt port but the gimbal just points up after it initializes.

Also I'd love to soften my yaw(and tilt whenever I get that to work) so I can get more smooth moves. How do I map softened curves to a switch so I can take off using the normal controls and then flip a switch to enable to the buttery smoothness once I'm ready for aerial magic?

Thanks in advance!

Buzz_Roavr

Mines a bit flakey too, some days good some days bad. Had real horizon issues this morning as well, but was fine in the afternoon. Then last, thankfully, flight today it's started ocillating like it's stiffness is too high. Pretty unpredictable which is a shame cause it's fantastic when it's working.

I've decided mine is an intermittent handshake issue. It initialises and functions fine but the camera does not like talking to the gimbal. The flashing green light only occasionally happens. No camera settings have been changed.

Bizarre!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
How are you setting exposure when in Manual? I find that when flying I am encountering many different exposure possibilities in a short flight. Example, once I climb over a treeline and brightness increases... or turning toward or away from the sun.

You simply learn by practise. It is better to underexpose shots as you can bring up the shadows in post (to some extent) but it is harder to bring down really overexposed areas.

If you're going to have two very different exposures in one shot you'll just have to pick a halfway exposure. If you can split the shots up (most usable shots that make the cut are actually quite short) then land and adjust the exposure to do the other bits.

Not ideal but you get the hang of it. :02.47-tranquillity:

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Can anyone tell me if the shutter control will work with still photos? I read elsewhere that it doesn't, but looking at the manual it appears that it will. I'm considering an S900 combo... Also, any word on Captain Kangaroo's question? I'd like to use an Immersion VTX as well rather than have to use DJI's OSD...
Can anyone answer these questions? :)

Jumpy07

Shutter works fine.. you cant swap between Video mode and Stills mode in the air, you have to set the camera for one mode before taking off..

I use ImmersionRC VTX no issues.. with iOSD.. but you could use any OSD.. but not sure why you would if using a DJI FC

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Shutter works fine.. you cant swap between Video mode and Stills mode in the air, you have to set the camera for one mode before taking off..

I use ImmersionRC VTX no issues.. with iOSD.. but you could use any OSD.. but not sure why you would if using a DJI FC

Honestly it's been a couple of months so I don't remember why I didn't want to use the DJI OSD :cold: Thanks for the info.

Shutter control works for stills but only if you set the AF to manual

Does this shutter work similarly to using other remotes, which focus when pressing halfway then capture when fully pressed? If so I wonder if it would be possible to use a 3-position switch mixed for using AF (I have zero experience with the Zenmuse so I have no idea).

xahhax

Works in manual and autofocus fine. Best to have it manual for aerial work though.

How did you make it work in autofocus mode? My remote trigger simulates a half press on the camera shutter button, i.e. it focuses but does not actually take the picture!

sochin33

I know some people have intermittent problems and some have faulty gimbals , but at this point with the latest firmware, are there any known issues with this gimbal that everyone has ?

On my second unit and now with the latest updates have been flying trouble free. Only issues people seem to have are with the shutter control when shooting photos, however for video everything is working fine.

Cheers-

sochin33

On my second unit and now with the latest updates have been flying trouble free. Only issues people seem to have are with the shutter control when shooting photos, however for video everything is working fine.

Cheers-

Thanks!
If I were to buy a GH4 gimbal and it was faulty (as it seems the case for at least several), will most US DJI dealers do an immediate exchange ?

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
How did you make it work in autofocus mode? My remote trigger simulates a half press on the camera shutter button, i.e. it focuses but does not actually take the picture!

I was reading up on another trigger and it requires end point adjustments to work correctly. Not sure if that's the case with this setup though.

Buzz_Roavr

You have to move the assigned switch back and forth quite quickly.

Stratifier

I got my Z15 GH4 2 weeks ago but this is the first time today I get time to have a closer look. There is a major flaw for a part that has been designed for the GH4!
I understand that the Z15 doesn't power the GH4, but worse, there is no access to the battery door when it's time to replace the battery. I can't imagine having to unload the GH4 to recharge or change the battery everytime it's empty. Seen nothing in the manual about that either.
So please tell me that I need to go to Specsavers or something... I can't believe it.
Thanks!
S

Last edited by a moderator:

RCedit

The GH4 battery last longer than any camera battery I've ever seen. You'd need a truckload of lipos to outlast a full charge.

Stratifier

Ok... Well done, a bit disappointing.These engineers and designers are supposed to be smart aren't they? and this is not very smart. The gimbal is quite delicate and I don't like the idea of removing the camera and reinstalling it, position it etc, not mentioning fiddling with the cables and connections, every single time. I wonder how long this will last. Very strange though, how could they miss that point?

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzz_Roavr

I agree however some people seem to have had years of trouble free Z15 use and others its never got off the ground!

My unit has been nothing but a PITA. It just won't talk to the camera, intermittently for weeks. I'm going to try this latest update then its going back. I give up, just can't get to the bottom of the issue.