Y6 vs. Hexacopter

Stacky

Is there a difference in performance between a Y6 and a hexacopter if they are both 650 size?

Shorter flight time with the Y6, for me roughly 15%. Also the Y6 handles the wind better. I have both and find my Hexa is smoother to fly in low wind.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Y6 is all around better except for reduced flight time. Its the best in wind, you never see props in view on forward flight, great redundancy on any controller, easy to tell orientation in air, fits in car pretty well, only 3 arms to take off for travel or replacement, allows huge props. The hex you will gain an extra minute or 2 and will probably be a little easier to tune. But all in all the Y6 and Bart's XY8 are the best configurations IMHO.

FCPP

I've just finished modifying both my F550's to Y6 The thing that convinced me was the redundancy of motors, My frat one was on NAZA and i had a faulty ESC as i was in the hover i saw the bottom right motor stop yet the aircraft was still totally controllable the only difference I saw was a tilting in Yaw. With the standard DJI arms its quite a fiddle to get both motors fitted but I got some aftermarket arms that have a much larger flat area I got mine from RC Timer R550V2(Black/Red) Glass Fiber Hexcopter Frame 550mm - Integrated PCB VersionView attachment 17830View attachment 17831

Happy Flying

Dave

Attachments

• 20140421_084907.jpg
    20140421_084907.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 20140421_085013.jpg
    20140421_085013.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 430

Jumpy07

I have CarbonCore Hex and Y6..

Y6 is way better in the wind.. but yaw lock is not as good as hex, hex is smoother in low winds and yaw is more locked... flight times on Y6 as others have said are around 15% less.. Y6 is way more easier to travel with... payload capability on Y6 is less than Hex with same config.... Y6 bottom props are vulnerable if landing gear is low.. or landing on uneven ground etc..pros and cons..