Y6 Config Suggestions

crayfellow

Hi guys,

I am building a small, inexpensive Y6 to run APM and carry a GoPro-class gimbal. Something to give nice stable images while still being easy to travel with (my work/research and family trips are one and the same).

While I'd love to tinker endlessly, I'm already doing that on plenty of our other projects so my preference is to build on a known configuration. ecalc seems to be giving crazy numbers for a coax hex, so I thought I'd ask you all.

Frame: It seems like there used to be more options when I search around. The Electrohub is just about perfect, but it's not really made to fold. The rcexplorer v3 is nicely foldable, but isn't really made to be a Y6. The Fortis TITAN would need to be modified to carry a 3-axis gimbal.

So far using an Electrohub and just taking out one of the bolts to fold seems like the best option, any other ideas?

Power: I really like the SS X2212 980kv on a tricopter, but I'm not sure that is the right fit for this one. ecalc was giving insanely low 3-5min flight times with some guesses for auw and 9-10" 4.5 props, so I may just be missing something here.

The wildcard is 3S/4S. I have some 3S 4000mAh nanotechs for the tri, but I'd probably need to run those in parallel on this. So what do you think, parallel 3S or 4S (maybe 5000mAh?) for optimal flight time on this guy?

If you've got a good, proven motor/prop/batt setup for a little guy like this with solid 10-15min+ flight times, please pass it along.

Thanks!

crayfellow

something like this? (auw is a total guess just to give a baseline for comparison)

View attachment 25918

interestingly to me, switching between 3S and 4S doesn't make a huge difference all things being equal, except for being slower with 3S.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 11.27.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 11.27.47 AM.png
    379.3 KB · Views: 441
Last edited by a moderator:

Mactadpole

Do a search on goodluckbuy.com for y6 frame. A lot come up. I have purchased some things from them recently with no problem.

crayfellow

Thanks, I'll poke around. I think the mini quad craze has distracted everyone! There is also the 3DR Y6 kit, but all I'd want is the frame plates, then to use either wood or CF for the arms.

What do you think about the flight time? Where is the sweet spot for motor/prop/batt on these relatively small fliers? I may just keep it simple and go for 980kv/10x4.5/3S or 4S unless something jumps out at me.

crayfellow

This CarbonCore appears US-made (???), it sure would be neat to do one more on the order of 450mm for small gimbal duty. Folds nicely. Does this company still exist? I emailed the rc-drones site to see if someone responds.

crayfellow

Right - I see, "We are a family business based in the North of England." Yeah, somehow I missed that, I've been looking at a lot of stuff. They are neat frames.

No, I really don't want to spend that much, so I was trying to see if any of them made a smaller version. Maybe the RC-drones guy will write me back.

I will most likely still do the Electrohub. for practically no money I've gotten a heck of a lot out of them and they can be tweaked with a simple visit to the hardware store. Since I want to do the education program for kids anyway I'll probably end up with a bunch of them eventually (or the new Versacopter)...

I'm sure I'll be fine with the 980kv setup. It will be nice to standardize.

Mactadpole

I think the Electrohub is actually pretty cool! Can't beat it for the price and like you said a quick trip to hardware store and your mostly likely back in the air very soon. Heck, it might be work buying two just to have the spare parts. Nice find.

crayfellow

yeah they are great. I've got all the parts on the way save for props and batteries. So I'm locked into SunnySky X2212 980kv. What props will depend on 3S vs. 4S, I guess.

Maybe nobody builds things this size these days? Either big lifters or racing quads (or they buy RTF)? 380-400mm has been a super useful size for me, at least.

I am thinking maybe 2x4500mAh (use one or both depending on flight time I need) and APC 10x4.5 props.

crayfellow

Here's what I ended up with in case this interests anyone:
We shall see where this gets me.

sledge57

Here's what I ended up with in case this interests anyone:
We shall see where this gets me.

Looking forward to seeing this, I've been debating almost the identical combo except I'll wait for the Pixhawk

crayfellow

hey @sledge57! I should have it together pretty quickly for you guys to check out (hopefully some video too; burned up a B&H gift card on a GoPro 4 Black). The tricopter we fly is essentially the same config 3 motors shy and obviously with a simpler FPV setup:
View attachment 25949

If you do go with a "real" Pixhawk I would still recommend the RCTimer M8N GPS. They are great and a generation newer than what 3DR sells. I work with GPS product development and am all too familiar with the differences.

I may not have time for a real build thread but I'll do my best to share results.

Attachments

• IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 333

crayfellow

Here's one for you guys - I know per ecalc this guy will be OK with the 804g battery (HK had a crazy deal on MultiStar 4S 10000mAh... flight time!). But do you think I will want to use extended arms to make it stable? By default an Electrohub ends up equivalent to about 400mm.

the battery will be underslung.

SamaraMedia

Just bought a couple of those batts too...super deal, work great on my F550 with Aerial Media Pro extenders so about 650 size. I know that's a hex vs a Y6 but throwing size comparison out there. May want to go bigger.

Built this home grown Y over the winter. 50000 4s Pulse and 10" props, arms were probably 12" in length if that helps.

af43fe6a1650c69a47b79e05f7f4497b.jpg

crayfellow

Well here it is! Flying here yesterday on 3S 4000mAh sans payload or FPV:

View attachment 26035

Today it flew with 4S 10000mAh and full payload. Lots of fun to fly! Haven't tuned anything at all, so that is next. I can already tell this guy is going to be very useful. As you can see it's still very much in 'prototype' form, which is exactly what I need. Flight camera and GoPro are on an RC switch. Between that, UBEC, LC filter, and gimbal there are a lot of wires to contend with up front. But the rails were really nice to work with!

View attachment 26037 View attachment 26038 View attachment 26034

View attachment 26036

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 173

WhiffleX

Looks very nice! This reminds me a bit of a Y6 my friend made.

He recently bought some aluminum tubing from a metal shop to strengthen the arms. I know he's had a hard time getting it tuned to the point where his video is smooth and without jello.