XAircraft XAircraft OSD.....worth the cost / any watchouts?

ross_badger

I just purchased a SuperX flight controller and am building up a new Xhex configuration for FPV flying. I've been using a Skylark Trace OSD on other builds, and have an extra Skylark to put on this new hex....but am considering purchasing the XAircraft OSD for simplicity.

Any comments from those of you who have used the XAircraft OSD would be greatly appreciated before I purchase one.....:nevreness::nevreness:

Thanks! Ross

VIQuad

Its fine and serves its purpose.

I wish they would take off the stupid logo in the center of the screen. I don't like clutter on the screen, or anything that doesn't need to be there. I'm sure real world fighter pilots would agree.

I also wish it posted the GPS coordinated on screen just in case something went wrong and you had to play back the video from a DVR to get the coordinates of where the quad may be in the event of a crash.

Last edited by a moderator:

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Its fine and serves its purpose.

I wish they would take off the stupid logo in the center of the screen. I don't like clutter on the screen, or anything that doesn't need to be there. I'm sure real world fighter pilots would agree.

I also wish it posted the GPS coordinated on screen just in case something went wrong and you had to play back the video from a DVR to get the coordinates of where the quad may be in the event of a crash.

Is it bigger than seen here?

View attachment 15024

Attachments

• 181451afx13jgf3jtpbfjj.jpg
    181451afx13jgf3jtpbfjj.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 317

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
That's it.....That's what mine looks like, in the goggles AND on the monitor.

Phew! from your description I thought it was a big mask like thing in the centre of the screen :shame: I can live with the little logo, my OSD arrives tomorrow

David

VIQuad

Yes, your right. Its not entirely bad. But I really don't think its needs to be there. Clutter free would be nice.
I already know who makes the OSD, I don't need to be reminded of it in the field...haha :nevreness:

ross_badger

Yes, your right. Its not entirely bad. But I really don't think its needs to be there. Clutter free would be nice.
I already know who makes the OSD, I don't need to be reminded of it in the field...haha :nevreness:

It would be nice to be able to customize the info on the screen. Or at least do like Skylark does and have a choice of 2 screens.......1 with lots of info, and 1 with very minimal info.

I've ordered mine as well!

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Just finished installing my OSD no issues other than I'm running out of space under the hood! don't know what to do if I start adding sensors, one issue reported elsewhere, GoPro 3 and OSD will only work in NTSC mode! with mine and others PAL produces the overlay but no vision, I don't know if it's OSD or GoPro

David

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
This is mine I am normally very fastidious about where things go but the OSD wound up on the IO it just seemed there was a nut everywhere I wanted to put it.
View attachment 15030

Just purchased the Arris CM3000 too! so big day

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 306

ross_badger

Thanks for the pics, guys. I didn't realize the OSD unit was so big.....it is hard to tell the size in the store pictures.

Also, your set-ups each have UBECs......are these supplying power to the SuperX or to the Rx or both? I haven't decided on whether to use one or not.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Thanks for the pics, guys. I didn't realize the OSD unit was so big.....it is hard to tell the size in the store pictures.

Also, your set-ups each have UBECs......are these supplying power to the SuperX or to the Rx or both? I haven't decided on whether to use one or not.

My UBEC is to supply power to the Gimbal, SX doesn't require a UBEC it has it's own.

Be sure to power your SuperX directly from your flight battery, especially if using the OSD. If you feed it from the UBEC or an external battery you will not get an accurate voltage reading and it will cause issues. The OSD is a must have in my opinion if you are serious about filming or flying FPV. It gives you the info you need in an easy to read format and makes flying while watching a live view from a gimbal doable due to the attitude indicator and vertical/horizontal speed indicators. It really makes a world of difference. Without it it is very hard to tell how you are leaning at any given time, how fast you are descending or ascending, and how far away from home/high you are.

ross_badger

Drew - thanks for the feedback! My SuperX OSD had arrived yesterday and will install it this weekend in the way you suggested.

Another, unrelated question - is it necessary to take the middle power pin off each of the ESC cables going in to the IO unit for SuperX?

Thanks, Ross

Dhardjono

Attachments

• IMG_9400.jpg
    IMG_9400.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_9416.jpg
    IMG_9416.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_9417.jpg
    IMG_9417.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_9421.jpg
    IMG_9421.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_9422.jpg
    IMG_9422.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 246

Drew - thanks for the feedback! My SuperX OSD had arrived yesterday and will install it this weekend in the way you suggested.

Another, unrelated question - is it necessary to take the middle power pin off each of the ESC cables going in to the IO unit for SuperX?

Thanks, Ross

If you have BEC ESCs I recommend taking the middle pin out for M1-M6. It honestly won't matter, but I always would rather be safe than sorry. If you are running an Octo you MUST take the middle pin out of M7 and M8 because those channels will go into gimbal mode if they detect power. Looking forward to hearing how you like the OSD.

Yes i love the osd it 's better than dji mini osd i use the bec to run the gimbal the tx immerce i can straight plug to 14 volt but for now i have extra small battery to run it just want to see if i get less noise since it not from the main battery. View attachment 18857View attachment 18858View attachment 18859View attachment 18860View attachment 18861

If you are having issues with noise put a ferrite ring on the power supply. It will clean it up nicely. It is much better to run constant voltage from a UBEC than to run variable voltage from a lipo for the gimbal.