X8 First flight PID suggestions

Mactadpole

Hello All,

I was wondering if some of you would mind giving me some suggested PID settings to start with on my MK X8.

Specs:

X8 mode - 750mm motor-to-motor
Pulso 2814/22 motors with APC12x3.8 props
MK FC V2.1 ME

weight w/4s 6000mah battery is 3.371kg

Pretty sure I have everything setup properly as I have been through multiple forums, videos, and the wiki.

Thanks so much,

Shawn

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hello All,

I was wondering if some of you would mind giving me some suggested PID settings to start with on my MK X8.

Specs:

X8 mode - 750mm motor-to-motor
Pulso 2814/22 motors with APC12x3.8 props
MK FC V2.1 ME

weight w/4s 6000mah battery is 3.371kg

Pretty sure I have everything setup properly as I have been through multiple forums, videos, and the wiki.

Thanks so much,

Shawn

Start with the out of the box settings and see how it flys, I find I rarely have to make major changes to the basic setup parameters. Once you have a feel for what it flys like then you can start tweaking if needed, absolutely try it first and see what it does before you change anything is probably the best place to start.

I would recommend that you make sure to do the ESC calibration through the I2C converter and set the min gas setting to 14 in the MKtools, otherwise you may have problems with the motors not starting at the same time or randomly shutting down at very low throttle settings.

Ken

P.S. make sure to do the compass and acceleromter calibrations before you try to fly too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Defies Psychics
Ken, did you change any mixer settings for the top/bottom set of motors?

I'm considering converting my stock Okto. Do you think it will be worth it? It's just too darn big!

Mactadpole

Start with the out of the box settings and see how it flys, I find I rarely have to make major changes to the basic setup parameters. Once you have a feel for what it flys like then you can start tweaking if needed, absolutely try it first and see what it does before you change anything is probably the best place to start.

I would recommend that you make sure to do the ESC calibration through the I2C converter and set the min gas setting to 14 in the MKtools, otherwise you may have problems with the motors not starting at the same time or randomly shutting down at very low throttle settings.

Ken

P.S. make sure to do the compass and acceleromter calibrations before you try to fly too!

That's what I thought you would say!:)

Already did the ESC calibration and then set min gas, then did it again (nothing to change). I only have the FC hooked up for the first flight so no compass to calibrate, right?

Getting closer to maiden flight...

shawn

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, did you change any mixer settings for the top/bottom set of motors?

I'm considering converting my stock Okto. Do you think it will be worth it? It's just too darn big!

I did, had the lowers I think around 10% faster than the top. If I already had a flying flat Octo don't know that I'd bother doing the conversion, but that's just me. The X8 I built is now a quad again mainly because the Mk electronics I had in it went back into the Droidworx frame when I finished the upgrade and the quad is flipping back and forth between the Hoverfly Pro and Quadrino controllers for now until I decide which one makes more sense to keep on the frame. If I happen on $800 I don't know what to do with I may buy a new set of MK boards and make it into an X8 again but I'd probably upgrade the motors as well, they really weren't up to the job of flying that much weight around.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
That's what I thought you would say!:)

Already did the ESC calibration and then set min gas, then did it again (nothing to change). I only have the FC hooked up for the first flight so no compass to calibrate, right?

Getting closer to maiden flight...

shawn

Correct, as long as you did the accelerometer calibration with everything nice and level you should be good to go with just the F/C.

I think you'll be amazed at the difference in stability between the two controller boards, as long as the calibration is done right there's no trimming that needs to be done, it just flys nice and steady and altitude hold really does. I use the vario setting for A/H myself, I see Al added it to the latest version of H/F firmware but it still doesn't come close to working as well as it does on the MK board.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ken

Mactadpole