XAircraft X650V4 Aftermarket Motor/ESC Compatibility Problems

mr7o4

Hi guys, this is my first post so bear with me. Have a couple of quick, simple questions...........

I recently bought 4 AKE High Speed PWM 12A ESC's and 4 AKE Quad Dancer QD1200B motors for a X650V4 (FC1212-P & AHRS-V2), in an attempt to gain power without going to the V8 configuration. I'm having some issues getting everything to play well together, and I'm curious if any of you have any experience running aftermarket motors/esc's with the stock FC-1212-P.

I calibrated the TX, changed the ESC profile in XAircraft Center from UltraPWM to Normal ESC (even tried UltraPWM at one point and updated the throttle range - no difference), plugged each ESC/motor into my receiver (AR8000), calibrated the throttle range and the ESC settings (brake off, battery type lipo, cutoff mode soft, cutoff threshold low, start mode normal, timing I've tried high and normal and low). I've also tried battery type NiMH/NiCd to prevent any possible cut-off, although I always test with a full battery (AKE 5850mAh). Later I soldered up a board so I could calibrate all ESC throttle ranges at the same time. They seem pretty close, but never quite on the mark as it is with the stock setup.

It flies erratically - the motors are jittery and seem to randomly pulse, but not nearly as much when the ESC timing is set to low, which is what I have it set to now. I've checked all soldier joints and connectors and they're solid, and I'm using an 5A switch mode UBEC (all red wires on ESC's disconnected) although I've tried it in every possible configuration (external bec, just one esc bec, all esc bec's into the FC).

The only thing I've done to make it flyable is go into Xaircraft center and set auto-leveling gain, attitude control gain and stick gain to 0. That will get it in the air without going crazy. After that, I found that disconnecting the compass helps make it less jittery (always calibrated before trying if that helps, but I'm not even using carefree or heading lock mode at this point). I emailed Jeff at CNCHelicopter (great company and service, by the way) and he recommended balancing rotors/vibration issues. I've balanced and re-balanced everything (motors and rotors), made sure everything was level and in alignment and tried different ways of isolating the AHRS-V2 from vibrations - nothing seems to help. Again, going back to the stock motor setup I have no problems - I've never even balanced the stock rotors or motors.

I'm a bit new to quads, so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right things here. I feel like turning all the gains down to 0 is masking a problem, mainly that the FC1212-P simply doesn't like non-UltraPWM esc's. I just rebuilt it using the original XA motors and esc's and it's nice and smooth, compass or not and autopilot (v2) works great. I'm not at the level of manually adjusting PID values, and although I'm more than willing to try it just seems futile for a guy who, A. doesn't understand the complexity and workings of those settings at this point and B. doesn't have three months to mess around learning on his own, only to find it might not help at all.

I feel like I'm spinning my wheels trying to figure out what's what on this quad. I've seen more info at another message board, only it's in Chinese. A quick google translate seems to show other users with similar issues. Messages like this (from http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=479):

"Seems to XA is still a little pick ESC? My friend said that his ordinary electric adjust it a little shaking, and later for high-speed power transfer becomes stable, it seems that optimization is not in place like. . . . . I need to re-buy a set of XA high-speed power transfer - Now fly is a bit shaking. . . Not the PID is irregular convulsions, a slight jitter. . Turning back to check the damping of the gyroscope"

And this:

"I also met the general ESC cramps, adjusting the sensitivity, the effect or not, for xa ESC lacks the problem, but it seems ordinary electric tone optimization is not in place"

Another message mentioned that the "double-P" setup didn't seem to help, referring to the FC1212-P and AHRS-P - which brings me to my next question...what's the status of the AHRS-P anyways? New firmware is showing up in XACenter, I assume it hasn't been released yet, or hasn't been released in the USA because it seems that a bunch of people in China are using it. I've also seen ground station prototypes and other things randomly. Where do you get any consistent information out there?

Is there any other aftermarket UltraPWM ESC that might solve my problems? I know I'll hear "buy a DJI NAZA" but it's not really an option for me and my wallet. I saw that CNChelicopters has a XA 20A ESC for the X450 - anybody know if this is an UltraPWM type, and would it work with an appropriate sized aftermarket motor?
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-1922/Xaircraft--new-20A/Detail

So I figure I might have these options for increasing payload (trying to keep everything around 1800g, let's say under 2000g comfortably):

-Find an aftermarket ESC (UltraPWM?) and motor combination that will allow me to continue running a V4 configuration with the FC1212-P.
-Stick with the XA ESC/motors and upgrade to the V8 configuration.
-Change to the XA Hexa frame, using all XA FC components and XA stock motors, and see if it will meet my payload needs (anybody know on that one?)

Sorry to write a small story, but have a lot on the mind!

Hello
I've bought exactly the same Combo X650 V4 AKE ESC 12A and AKE QB1200D Motor and with the AHRS V2, FC1212-P, GPS, Compas.
I try many setup into Xaircraft center and set auto-leveling gain, attitude control gain and stick gain to 45 and 32, but still vibration or motor with some random power and It flies erratically same as you.

email fom Jeff (Xaircraft USA) to try this:

• Gyro Gain set to 100% ,
  • Auto Leveling Gain 100%
  • Attitude Control Gain 100%
When trying this configuration it was a nightmare !!! so now I just found your thread and god thank you I'm not alone in this world having this king of problem - I try to put everything to 0 it's much more better but is that the solution ? I don't think so...

Maybe I'd go for the the standard Esc and motor from Xaircraft and see what happen, because right I'am very frustrated not to use my Quadcopter with the GOPRO and so smooth video.

What's your configuration right now ?

Many thanks
Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:

artross26

Ake esc

Hi guys, this is my first post so bear with me. Have a couple of quick, simple questions...........

So my question is how do you program the ESC if you have NAZA-M and the ESC is the AKE component?
I've just built a X650 and I've been unable to get the motors started.

Maybe someone can give me advice as well.

Thx

I'm in the same boat. Only exception is I have the 20amp esc's and QD1100 motors. It has to be something simple... I hope.

artross26

I am beginning to see a pattern here and I am not happy.
I just posted a email back to the vendor I bought from.
Let's see what she says.

Fingers crossed that it's a simple fix. I have no problem going into the settings and doing fine tuning as long as someone tells me what and how to change. If I get some free time, I may play with some of the setting to see. Did you guys cut the red wires on the esc's like the install instructions said? I haven't but was wondering if that may be the solution???

My parts came with a single sheet of "instructions" that said that you could cut the red wires from all but one of the speed controllers to disable something. I don't remember off hand, it's at work. I'll post them tomorrow morning if it helps.

So my question is how do you program the ESC if you have NAZA-M and the ESC is the AKE component?
I've just built a X650 and I've been unable to get the motors started.

Maybe someone can give me advice as well.

Thx

The way I ended up doing it was by plugging One speed controller at a time, turn on the tx, set your throttle all the way up then plug your battery into the rx. The motor will make a couple beeps, pause then beep again. Lower the throttle to the lowest point then the motor will beep again then unplug the rx. Unplug the esc and repeat With the next one. The instruction sheet I'll post will be a bit more specific. Hopefully this helped. Are you familiar with the arming procedure for the NAZA controller?

mr7o4

Hey buddy! I gotta laugh, I actually read your post in rcgroups.com and came back over here to find this thread to show you - looks like you beat me to it! I'm the guy responsible for the original, rambling post above - almost a year ago now!

Just to follow-up, I never got things working to my satisfaction - probably not what you wanted to hear. Before anything I'd like to say that I respect cnchelicopter.com and I think they have great service, however, they advertise all of those AKE products (motors & esc's) in a fashion that leads you (and me) to believe it's a drop in replacement for the stock XA parts...but take a look at the complete X650 quads they're selling. The ones with the AKE motors/esc's are always matched to a DJI Wookong controller. One package they sell has the stock XA motors, but again, they're paired with AKE esc's and a DJI.

I even tried some esc's made by Hobbylord, which were listed as UltraPWM (500Hz, 20A) and compatible with XA. No difference. Only thing that really helped was unplugging the compass and autopilot, less of the shakes and pulsations but was still random and touchy. But who knows, there could be other motors and esc's out there that do work. Only problem is that we shouldn't be the ones wasting our time and money to find out.

That said, I'm basically left with the assumption that the people who decided to upgrade motors and such also typically upgraded to DJI or another controller at the same time. I'm sure you've done the research - you just don't see many people with XA controllers and 3rd party motors.

XAircraft, as you may have read on the other message board, is allowing customers in the Asian market to trade in FC1212's and AHRS's for their "new" SuperX controller. So they're basically admitting their old stuff is junk (not really "old" in my book anyways), and I wouldn't be surprised if they're recycling the parts people are sending them into their new stuff.

I ripped everything out of mine, bought a DJI Naza and threw four Tiger Motors (MN3110-15, 780KV) on it with 12x6 props and called it a day. The frame's alright I guess, and there are so many copies of it out there right now; I figure either it was pirated or XA sold manufacturing rights to help pay off their past blunders.

I'd personally cut my losses and stay away from XA electronics completely. And for all I know their new flight controller might be great, but the bottom line is that if it ends up having problems, they will just cut and run like they did with the V1 and V2 of the junk we're both stuck with.

At any rate, good luck to you and who knows - perhaps somebody with more time on their hands will work out a solution!

Thanks for the heads up. I used to be an avid supporter of XA but as of late, not so much. We've spent lots of money for a lots of paperweights now. The only thing that is XA on my quad is the FC. We have our frames custom built from my design and normally use a NAZA setup. We have a 1200mm that took a fall out of the sky from about 35 meters up and pancaked it so I'm currently rebuilding it so I've got a NAZA setup just sitting so I may throw it on this rig to see what it does. We are actually thinking about making some of these large 1000-1200mm quads and smaller 650mm quads to sale. It's a killer setup and they look good. We'll offer both the NAZA and WooKong (spelling?) to make them affordable for us lower class income folks :) Going to get away from XA completely. Looks like the XA USA guy is out of business anyway so may take that as a sign.

Fit101

It seems like all I read about is issues with XA electronics! I have a 650v8 I built last summer with v2 electronics and have had nothing but good luck with it. It flies rock solid... although the RTH function is sometimes inconsistent and can overshoot it's home position on its way back. I did find a intermittent connection in the wire to the compus which caused some sweaty palms a time or two... But that's fixed now.

I'm interested in trying this new "super x controller" I keep hearing about!

XA electronics are fine as long as you stay with XA esc's. Aftermarket esc's and the XA FC don't play well together at all. I wouldn't mind checking out the new stuff too. Supposed to be pretty decent from what I've heard and read. I have a large quad (120mm) that runs the NAZA with gps and that sucker is sweet in comparison to the XA setup hands down. I'm thinking about selling my XA stuff if I can get a decent price for it. I've got tons of stuff, motors, props, fc1212-p, ahrs-s v2, compass, autopilot/gps, motor mounts, a couple boom arms and a bunch of misc stuff. Anyone interested message me and make me an offer or trade for a good used NAZA setup with or without gps.

I have contacted several different companies including AKE themselves and got no help what so ever on this. The last response back that I got actually told me to use the DJI NAZA or WKM because there were no issues with those FC's. So I guess I'm supposed to run out and buy a brand new FC just to go along with some cheap @$$ esc's that are "supposed" to work with XA. Not a happy camper right now. I've been on a couple other message boards and have seen that folks were using the exact same setup with no problems but no one wants to step up and say how they got their equipment up and running correctly. Looks like I'm going to be posting all my XA stuff up for sale. I've got a ton of stuff so if anyone is interested, message me.

Boss man ended up buying a NAZA with GPS and guess what?!?! Same issue!! WTH??? Got some XA stuff for sale now though if anyone is interested ;)