Wow, and I was beginning to feel like I'm not a newb....

Droney Baggins

so I've been at this hobby for about nine months now. Today, I just built my third mini quad, and I used a NAZA Lite flight controller. After performing an IMU calibration, RC calibration and arming the motors I thought I was good to go. I set the gains at 70 80 100 100 per a recommendation and I was using 6inch props on sunny sky 2204-2300 motors, 4s battery. I put the props on and take it out back just to hover it and fine tune the gains. She spools up okay, and I'm gently giving throttle and it seems to become light on its feet... All good signs... Then I give it about 30% throttle and it just completely takes of, out of control, full throttle up and away she went. Gone for good I'm sure, as I watched the led spiral up for at least a minute until it disappeared. So, This being my second NAZA build, in addition to owning a phantom 2, I honestly don't blame anything but myself for what went wrong, I know that something crazy happened and I believe it may have something to do with the way I connected everything. The previous build had 4 escs that all had becs, but for this build, the escs I used did not. I connected everything up, assuming the NAZA pmu connected to the receiver would supply plenty of power. What could have caused this? I had just configured everything on my pc. I want to say it must have had something to do with the escs I bought off of banggood. Does anyone know what may have been the problem? I now know why people are so worried about flyways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 260

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Did you happen to see the colors of the LED's?
If in GPS mode did you wait to have it record homepoint???? Rapid Green Flashes....
Could it have been in RTH/ Failsafe either by switch or not correctly set-up in assistant with endpoints for forced RTH?
My theory....
The Naza thought it was in RTH/ Failsafe......
Once is spooled up it did what it was supposed to... RTH.... which is the LAST homepoint recorded....
If you did not wait for a new homepoint to record...... it was trying to fly to the last record one....the factory in china....

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
we are all newbs for life when it comes to this stuff! you're an expert one day, the next day the new stuff makes you look antiquated!

Banggood is known to be an unreliable resource with clones/fakes being a big problem. who knows where they get their stuff and who knows if what you're buying is factory original, factory seconds, fakes, etc.

if you're in California there are plenty of reputable shops in the US that sell less expensive components to choose from.

power via the NAZA to the receiver should be fine.

jbrumberg

DB- Welcome to this site. I am sorry to read about your loss.

Like BartMan posted; there is an never ending "learning curve" with this hobby. Technological advances within this hobby are accelerating at a pace that very few can keep on top of all the new increasingly more complex products available as a result of the new technologies.

Out of curiosity did you have a GPS puck on your flyaway?

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Matt...
I am also sorry for you to have had this loss.....
I did not mean to be insensitive..... I should have put this in my initial post...

cootertwo

WOW! BUMMER for sure! I have several Naza Lites flying, and have not had any problem similar to the one you described. I'm currently trying to learn APM/Pixhawk systems, and my poor old brain has run out of memory! My only guess, and it doesn't make sense, as you said it started spooling up fine, would be the throttle channel reversed. What a horrible feeling to watch something you've spent hours and hours, and $$$, just fly away, out of sight, and gone. Makes me want to just stay here in my yard, under the tree cover. I do own some chain saws! Ha!
BTW, I recently bought some of these alarm thingies. I'm setting mine up on a spare channel, so when I flip the switch, the alarm will start beeping, and LED flashing. MIGHT, help finding a lost craft.
http://www.amazon.com/Matek-Battery-Monitor-Discovery-Buzzer/dp/B00UZYS3AU

Droney Baggins

Thanks to all for your replies. I fly in atti mode and had disabled rth. The bird was in atti mode before and after I lost control of her, almost immediately after liftoff. My first thoughts were an esc malfunction, but then the more it thought about it, it could have been the fail safe on the transmitter/ receiver and because I had reversed the throttle channel on naza, when it did go into failsafe it gave 100% throttle rather than zero. That's what it seemed like to me, just full throttle and zero control of movement.