Workshop's T6

workshop

I started this build idea about two years ago but finally got around to it when a cable reality TV show asked me to develop a multirotor for their particular needs. This show features an American team that picks antique furniture during road trips in a van. The camera crew follows in a similar van and is responsible for all production work while on the road. The camera crew needed a rig (with spare as is standard in TV and Film) that was small enough not to need assembly but stable enough for television. The final result of the design and build is the subject of this build thread and video can be seen weekly on television.

All parts conform to the ALG Hobbies 5/8" round tube pinch blocks, landing gear and other parts making this copter is "Rusty's Compatible". The frames are going to be available as soon as I can line up a vendor that can CNC the design. The current parts are laser cut and that is OK but not as clean as CNC routing would be.

The benefits of this design are: Orientation (easy to see), lack of wind resistance and expandability/adaptability. The photos below detail the wiring harness and how to best construct it. A huge (140W) soldering iron and classic 60/40 solder is what I used to insure fail free connections.

There is one other multirotor flyer that bought the last C/F frame set from me and may upload his project to this thread too. Enjoy.

Jeff

Attachments

• Workshop's T6 01.jpg
    Workshop's T6 01.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 422
  • Workshop's T6 02.jpg
    Workshop's T6 02.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 469
  • Workshop's T6 03.jpg
    Workshop's T6 03.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 341
  • Workshop's T6 04.jpg
    Workshop's T6 04.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 372
  • Workshop's T6 05.jpg
    Workshop's T6 05.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Workshop's T6 06.jpg
    Workshop's T6 06.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 302
  • Workshop's T6 07.jpg
    Workshop's T6 07.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 357
  • Workshop's T6 08.jpg
    Workshop's T6 08.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 381
  • Workshop's T6 09.jpg
    Workshop's T6 09.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Workshop's T6 10.jpg
    Workshop's T6 10.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Workshop's T6 11.jpg
    Workshop's T6 11.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 310
  • Workshop's T6 12.jpg
    Workshop's T6 12.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Workshop's T6 13.jpg
    Workshop's T6 13.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 256
  • Workshop's T6 14.jpg
    Workshop's T6 14.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 242
  • Workshop's T6 15.jpg
    Workshop's T6 15.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 400
  • Workshop's T6 16.jpg
    Workshop's T6 16.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 371

Quad Head

Jeff - Looks great! Amazing frame for AP/FPV. Lots of room for all the goodies and then some.

Was wondering if you had any thoughts on a 25mm "Heavy Lift" version of your frame. Pancakes seem to be gaining attention for higher payloads and longer flight times. Just curious of your thoughts. I should probably ask first though what kind of payloads and flight times are you able to get with this build?

Photo #8 shows a black wrapped device at the top of the photo. What is it? The Castle BEC is opposite on the bottom.

What FC are you using? Does this take any special programming because it's a T configuration?

Finally - it looks like your GoPro is hard mounted! Are you getting any decent video - I would think you've you got some jello since it's hard to the frame. Any flight video?

Sorry for so many questions but I've looked at this for hours comparing it to a Y6 and this just looks like it would do the job much better.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

workshop

Thanks... there is tons of room and therein lies the temptation to load it up...:) The craft shown was the original idea and, at the request of "consultants" to the TV show, I created a heavy lift version using Avroto 2814 motors and the last of the great servo driven tilt/roll mounts (we're in the dawning age of the brushless gimbal so gears, belts and servos are all but dead). Two 5,000mAh batteries rounded up the weight to about 10lbs for 15min. (12min suggested flight time). Clearly a pig but it had all the bells and whistles that the bean counters wanted. Oh well. The T6 is meant to weigh six (6) pounds and shoot jello free video with a GoPro2 or 3 which it does well.

The GoPro is soft mounted using EAR brand antivibe standoffs. I am pretty amazed that the maiden was jello free; usually some mechanical adjustments are necessary. The video will be up in the morning.

The black thing is a RF filter of my own design. Components in commercial units aren't as overbuilt as I am acustomed so I make most of my own power supplies and filters. You'll also notice that every connection is soldered in the power harness; I don't like connectors or PCB copper traces for carrying current.

I am using a HoverFly Pro but any FCB that can support a Y6 will work; the T6 is a Y6... the geometry is identical with regard to the FCB. The T6 frame is amazingly thin and therefore presents a very small profile to wind or lateral movement. The frame looks like Superman and is easy to maintain visual orientation. No LEDs yet but no problem!

I am using KEDA 20-22L motors from Hobbyking and pre-flashed SimonK 30A ESCs from MontoRC. The AUW with GoPro and FPV system is 6lbs. 5oz. I used a little bit of lead in the tail to make it balance with 2x 4000mAh Hyperion batteries. Balance in all things is critical and the T6 is no different. It is important to make the craft pitch neutral at the CG of the FCB.

Thanks!

Jeff

workshop

OK... here is the first test flight straight from GoPro to YouTube... I'll upload some eye candy once I dial in the gains and get some time on this rig.

Jeff

Skyking213

UAV Guy
Hello all!
I have had some stick time on this rig and can tell you it is one of the very best flying, easy to orient multirotors I've ever flown! The design is elegant and expandable. I'm sure Jeff and I will do great things with this one!
Cheers,
ScottB